Uh OH, Pin Credit Card Requested

jc foster

Wells Fargo, Im not sure what they max out at, but I set mine to 10 in the US and then 4 for travel.

Boy I'm just shaking my head, I am having trouble keeping track of 4 digit numbers. Can't even fathom a 10 digit one, pure craziness!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Boy I'm just shaking my head, I am having trouble keeping track of 4 digit numbers. Can't even fathom a 10 digit one, pure craziness!

I hear you loud and clear!!! I can barely remember my telephone number!:D

I have noted this previously on these boards and I also realise that very few of you are planning a trip to Australia BUT if you are you should be aware that there is no longer a sign option down here for any Credit Card. All card transactions in Australia for both debit and credit cards are chip and pin. All pins down here are four digit. Just something else to remember when planning your next holiday.

That info is for Australian residents only, they are still accepting tourist cards!!

As long as the "Overseas" card has a "Chip"....

Hi, by tourist card I am thinking that you mean a cc that a tourist, not from AU, would have? ? So a chip and sign will work but not a swipe and sign? Seems ridiculous to me that those of us with US issued credit cards are having such a hard time trying to use them outside the U.S.:(

I have recently used my swipe and sign card in Prague, Budapest and a small town in Canada, all without a problem but it looks like one can't count on that happening in every case, even if dealing with an actual person at the point of sale.

That info is for Australian residents only, they are still accepting tourist cards!!

As long as the "Overseas" card has a "Chip"....

I'm sorry Nana but if you closely check the legislation you will not find any reference to "Tourist Cards". I truly find it strange that you would expect a foreign nation such as Australia to have separate rules for its residents and foreign tourists.

Believe me! There is no way you'll have an opportunity to sign for any card purchase in Australia. No Pin - no sale.

Swipe and sign is getting less likely to work in many places in the world. But Australia just implemented some really strong consumer protection laws as they apply to Credit cards.

Banks issuing credit cards in Australia are now required to issue only "Pin & Chip" cards and signature only (swipe & sign) will not be allowed any more.

This new rules are not suppose to affect travelers from other countries. However, I would not go to Australia without at least a Chip card and would be prepared for difficulty with some transactions.

I am working on getting a true Chip & Pin which is not an easy task. Even the U.S. bank customer service people do not understand their companies offerings or the real problem for customers traveling overseas.

I'm sorry Nana but if you closely check the legislation you will not find any reference to "Tourist Cards". I truly find it strange that you would expect a foreign nation such as Australia to have separate rules for its residents and foreign tourists.

Believe me! There is no way you'll have an opportunity to sign for any card purchase in Australia. No Pin - no sale.

Actually I was just looking for the information to post here from the Australia Govt Tourist board addressing this very issue. Can't find it right now :( was from Nov 2014 talking about ability to accept cards issued in other countries and not wanting to scare tourist dollars off.

I'll find it and post it.....

Sorry tried to post a link: but there is a much better publication and I can't find it right now-

Similarly, foreign visitors to Australia will still be able to sign for purchases as the chip and PIN requirement only applies to Australian cards.

The magnetic stripe will play a major role here -- it's encrypted with a two-digit country code, so if an Australian card is swiped, the card reader will recognise the Australian code and 'demand' a PIN. Foreign cards with a different code will still get through with a signature.

This may be the website nana541 was looking for:

https://www.pinwise.com.au

Here is the relevant section for tourists:

"What about non-Australian issued cards?

Visitors from overseas will not be impacted by the changes, so they will use signature or PIN to authorize transactions as they did before. Hence signature will still be a valid form of payment authorisation for most visitors from overseas."

This may be the website nana541 was looking for:

https://www.pinwise.com.au

Here is the relevant section for tourists:

"What about non-Australian issued cards?

Visitors from overseas will not be impacted by the changes, so they will use signature or PIN to authorize transactions as they did before. Hence signature will still be a valid form of payment authorisation for most visitors from overseas."

Actually it's the same info but I got mine info off an official Govt website. Pretty much said the same thing.

Great website might need to get Cruise Critic to do an article about these new regulations and how they can possibly impact some travelers... If nothing else, small shops in Australia may have confusion as to what is allowed I refuse to accept based on misunderstanding of the new rules and overseas issued cards.

Hi, by tourist card I am thinking that you mean a cc that a tourist, not from AU, would have? ? So a chip and sign will work but not a swipe and sign? Seems ridiculous to me that those of us with US issued credit cards are having such a hard time trying to use them outside the U.S.:(

I have recently used my swipe and sign card in Prague, Budapest and a small town in Canada, all without a problem but it looks like one can't count on that happening in every case, even if dealing with an actual person at the point of sale.

I get more concerned that US bank processes and our consumer protection laws are lagging so far behind the rest of the world.

I get more concerned that US bank processes and our consumer protection laws are lagging so far behind the rest of the world.

I absolutely agree with you. Apparently the cost to merchants and banks to switch to Chip and Pin is of greater importance than any consequences consumers face. One has to wonder how the rest of the world managed to implement this technology.

I too have found that most CS personnel do not know the difference between the "pin" part and the "sign" part.

I absolutely agree with you. Apparently the cost to merchants and banks to switch to Chip and Pin is of greater importance than any consequences consumers face. One has to wonder how the rest of the world managed to implement this technology.

You seem surprised...:D

Given that in the US customers are 100% protected against fraudulent use of their cards under the current system, it is only merchants who have a dog in this fight.

Effective 10/1/15, the liability of a security breach becomes the financial responsibility of the retailer. The law does not mandate a chip in any form. Some credit card companies continue to issue new cc without one. One example, that makes me extremely mad, is the Chase United Explorer Card. No chip, no plans to do so. The cc industry is now saying they only hope to have our system over to chip and signature by 2020. They are not even discussing chip and pin.

However, here is the issue. Just before Christmas, Staples announced a breech to their system and 1.2 million personnel cc files and info were stolen. After 10/1/15, they will be liable if that happens again. The potential for lawsuits against retailer, in this case Staples, will be huge. The amount of insurance required to cover that possibility will also become huge. Europe has seen a 93% reduction in credit card fraud since they went c&p. For many of the smaller retailers, the liability of accepting swipe cards will become so high, that paying to install the new technology will look cheap.

The current system has three participants. The retailer, the intermediary card processor, and the bank. All three of these have to have compatible software to get chip and pin to work. None of these three are excited about the costs of doing so currently. It should come as no surprise then that the retailers are crying and making a big push to Congress to get the 10/1/15 date delayed or even nullified. The best thing we consumers can do is to write our Congresscritters and get them to maintain the plan. I am not overly hopeful. :mad:

CPT Trips;

I agree!:mad:

Part of the issue here in the States is the number of cc issuers. I Europe, it is primarily done by large national banks, such as our Citibank and Chase. However, here in the States we have Podunk Credit Union and Tinytown Community Bank issuing credit cards. Their levels of computer sophistication is often times scary. Combine that with many retailers that flippantly arrogant about not protecting confidential consumer info, and we have a disaster.

I have no dog in the fight at any level, however, the American consumers would have done itself a tremendous favor if they had refused to walk back into the Penny's and Targets that have been lax and allowed their systems to be compromised. The consumers shutting down a few of these massive retailers would have motivated the survivors to implement new technologies far faster than anything Congress can/would do. The consumer has the power to facilitate a lot of changes, they just have to be motivated to utilize that power.

I know it's fashionable to bash big banks these days, but this isn't the banks' fault. They have been pushing this. It's the merchants who refused to buy the new machines. If you want to blame somebody, blame Mom and Pop at the corner deli.

I know it's fashionable to bash big banks these days, but this isn't the banks' fault. They have been pushing this. It's the merchants who refused to buy the new machines. If you want to blame somebody, blame Mom and Pop at the corner deli.

My chip and oin card has a mag stripe and functions just fine on a swipe machine. Heck, it event has raised numbers for those old embossing machines. I'm fairly sure this is standard practice Mom and Pop are hardly to blame . . . they don't have the clout to drive bank policy and practices. And with the cooperation of the clearing houses, they could continue using the mag swipe machines.