Fuel Surcharge?

g683002

I know that NCL reserves the right to add a $10/person/day surcharge if gas exceeds $65 per barrel. Yesterday the price of oil passed that threshold. Does anyone if NCL will apply this charge and at what amount have they historically imposed the fee?

no, they will be no charge. if there was a new charge, they will be huge outcry from everyone if they was one. Its been about 10 years the last time i heard about a fuel surcharge for a cruise ship.

Most likely, what the cruise lines usually does is just increase the base fare up a few dollars for new bookings only.

I can't recall the last time it was imposed, and it has been well over $100 per barrel since then. The key is if prices are fluctuating, the cruise lines have a tough time with those. If the prices are steady or climbing linearly, then they just raise fares to take care of fuel costs.

I don’t think Ncl implemented a fuel surcharge last time oil was way up. I think a couple other lines did and it was wildly unpopular. It didn’t last very long. I would think the easiest way to make up the difference would be raised cruise fares for subsequent bookings. I don’t know how they purchase - if it’s hedged or what but looks like the maximum surcharge could be $10/pp pd. Here’s their excerpt: Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement without prior notice should the closing price of West Texas Intermediate Fuel increase above $65 per barrel on the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index). In the event a fuel supplement is charged, Norwegian Cruise Line will have sole discretion to apply the supplementary charge to both existing and new bookings, regardless of whether such bookings have been paid in full. Such supplementary charges are not included in the cruise fare. The fuel supplement charge will not exceed $10.00 per passenger per day.

no, they will be no charge. if there was a new charge, they will be huge outcry from everyone if they was one. Its been about 10 years the last time i heard about a fuel surcharge for a cruise ship.

Most likely, what the cruise lines usually does is just increase the base fare up a few dollars for new bookings only.

I hope and think you are probably right. it would be pretty hard to add the charge for bookings that have been made, especially if final payment date had already passed. The did to this, as you said about 10 years ago for a very short time and I believe it was when gas stayed up for quite awhile. Right now, it has just barely gone over the mark. It may not last more than a week or so. Who knows?