Formal Nights

How do you find out which nights are formal? Also, how formal should we dress? We will be on Symphony’s first 7 night cruise in the Caribbean.

Take a look at your printed invoice from Royal. I've seen the formal nights listed there lately.

How do you find out which nights are formal? Also, how formal should we dress? We will be on Symphony’s first 7 night cruise in the Caribbean.

Typically we have seen Day 2 and Day 6 for eastern runs...below is from the RCCL FAQ page:

“Formal nights:

3/4/5 night cruises - usually on Day 2

6 night cruises - usually on day 2 and 5

7 night cruises - are usually on Day 2 and 6

Oasis and Allure use Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries.

For longer cruises - Click Here

Formal Night will not be offered on any of the currently scheduled Empress of the Seas sailings”

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Formal night is always a surprise for some people.....;p

"Dressy" sweatpants and a T-shirt with sleves will be just fine!:D

Why would you encourage anyone to dress to the absolute minimum standards. It is true the Caribbean is becoming a draw for the unacceptable, but it should not be encouraged.

How do you find out which nights are formal? Also, how formal should we dress?

If you wish to dress formally you may although the majority of passengers will not. Some do and enjoy it.

Cruise dress has become so much more casual over the years and I am all for that. I've evolved from tuxes, to suits, to sports jackets and today I MIGHT bring a jacket with me. Most will wear nice casual dress every night.

Typically we have seen Day 2 and Day 6 for eastern runs...below is from the RCCL FAQ page:

“Formal nights:

3/4/5 night cruises - usually on Day 2

6 night cruises - usually on day 2 and 5

7 night cruises - are usually on Day 2 and 6

Oasis and Allure use Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries.

For longer cruises - Click Here

Formal Night will not be offered on any of the currently scheduled Empress of the Seas sailings”

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Oasis eastern run last month.

Formal nights were nights 2 and 5.

Bill

Why would you encourage anyone to dress to the absolute minimum standards. It is true the Caribbean is becoming a draw for the unacceptable, but it should not be encouraged.

"A draw for the unacceptable?" What does that mean?

Who are "the unacceptable"?

Edited by Kimba2

I haven't sailed on Royal in 18yrs. At that time everyone wore at leasts a jacket and tie and a cocktail dress. Now with these mega ships and the amount of passengers and specialty restaurants formal nights seem to be a title only. With that said, we will be celebrating my wife's 50th birthday so we will bring jackets and a cocktail dress for some formal family pictures. With all of the activities and passengers formal nights will never be what they once were. Princess still keeps the tradition but the passenger base is middle age to old age so more people keep with the tradition of dressing up on that line. My son 21 at the time sailed on Anthem last year. He wore a suit without a tie on one of the formal nights. The second one he ate in Wonderland and was dressed casual.

Princess still keeps the tradition but the passenger base is middle age to old age so more people keep with the tradition of dressing up on that line.

But (thankfully) the formal nights on Princess are optional. While there are people who dress up (and have pictures taken) there are at least an equal number of passengers - if not more - who choose not to put on formal wear for formal nights while dining in the main dining room.