Indy/Freedom Class

Taking my first RCI cruise in a few months on Indy, been searching here but still have some questions regarding little things.

Soft Drink prices? I found a pricelist but it was from 2016, and prices were for bottles and cans, I assume things like cola and lemonade are available on draught, what are the prices for those? Trying to determine if the soda package is worth it as we'd probably only have 1 or 2 sodas per day.

On the same lines, can we bring unlimited soft drinks onboard with us? How big is the fridge in the stateroom? P&O fridges are quite small, we'd struggle with a 2lt bottle on past cruises.

I just watched a video after the refurb and saw food being ordered at playmaker's bar, I'm sure this isn't listed as a specialty restaurant but assume there'll be a charge for food here? Same with the new "Fish n Ships" poolside eatery, does anyone know if that's free?

Snacks!.. On larger P&O ships there has been an area with prepackaged food you can take with you on-shore. Packet sandwiches, fruit boxes, salads and the like. Is anything like this available on freedom class ships/Indy or am I going to have to pack some foil and raid the buffet in the mornings lol

I had some other musings but forgotten them as have been typing this post throughout the day whilst doing other things, I'll add in the comments if anything comes back to me. But if anyone can answer those for me, that'd be great.

Taking my first RCI cruise in a few months on Indy, been searching here but still have some questions regarding little things.

Soft Drink prices? I found a pricelist but it was from 2016, and prices were for bottles and cans, I assume things like cola and lemonade are available on draught, what are the prices for those? Trying to determine if the soda package is worth it as we'd probably only have 1 or 2 sodas per day.

On the same lines, can we bring unlimited soft drinks onboard with us? How big is the fridge in the stateroom? P&O fridges are quite small, we'd struggle with a 2lt bottle on past cruises.

Snacks!.. On larger P&O ships there has been an area with prepackaged food you can take with you on-shore. Packet sandwiches, fruit boxes, salads and the like. Is anything like this available on freedom class ships/Indy or am I going to have to pack some foil and raid the buffet in the mornings lol

Canned soda is around $4 inclusives automatic 18% gratuity. Lemonade, American type, not fizzy, is free in the Windjammer buffet. If you want non-cola like Sprite or 7-up then it would be considered canned soda.

You are allowed to bring two bottles of wine per cabin on board. Technically you are not allowed to bring soda or water on board. Many people do - can depend on the port or staff as to how strict they are.

Cabin fridge is a small beverage cooler, not as cold as a regular fridge.

There are boxes of cereal and sometimes chips/snacks but nothing pre made to take ashore. Would not recommend trying to pack your own. Ports have very strict rules. Only factory sealed snacks/food is allowed. Fruit or salads would not be permitted. If you want to take food ashore would suggest bringing prepackaged snacks with you. Not sure where you are sailing, but the Caribbean, Mexico,etc. is very strict on this.

Note that the Indy now has Freestyle Coke machines after her drydock and refurb, so that might influence your decision to buy a soda package. Sodas SHOULD be easier to acquire than having to go to a bar, as long as the soda machines are in 24-hour accessible areas. (Some, in the Windjammer, would not be.)

Fish'n'Ships is a fee-extra eatery. Prices were kinda high on the menus posted here.

As Bob already posted, the sports bar food is also fee-extra. :(

Edited by Pellaz
prior clarification on the sports bar fee menu

A portion of fish & chips from Fish n Ships is $9 and the portion is tiny, the fish is literally like one fish finger from photo I have seen.

There is no real pre-packaged food for you to take to shore. Depending on countries, some actually prevent you from taking any food off the ship into their country. You can always bring some zipper bags/sandwich bags from home or perhaps try some local food when you are on land.

If you don't have a beverage package, then soda is only available by the 12oz can, for about $4.

Playmakers is extra cost: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56112017&postcount=2

That's insane. I'm guessing with the soda package you get drinks from draught, and not in cans? but they can't sell you a drink from draught? :confused:

Thanks for those pics (y)

You are allowed to bring two bottles of wine per cabin on board. Technically you are not allowed to bring soda or water on board. Many people do - can depend on the port or staff as to how strict they are.

There are boxes of cereal and sometimes chips/snacks but nothing pre made to take ashore. Would not recommend trying to pack your own. Ports have very strict rules. Only factory sealed snacks/food is allowed. Fruit or salads would not be permitted. If you want to take food ashore would suggest bringing prepackaged snacks with you. Not sure where you are sailing, but the Caribbean, Mexico,etc. is very strict on this.

I knew about the wine, I'd also read many times that water and soft drinks were fine, so quite disappointed now.

Maybe it's a regional thing?

We're sailing out of Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords... maybe it's not as strict with these sailings. I know in my experience on P&O (only ever sailed with them, 6 x around europe) that buying 2l bottles of coke, water etc onshore was never any problem bringing it back on-board, only alcohol. Same with food, P&O actually have premade snacks you can take.

We've been to Norway before, and we know it's expensive, plus we're going to be busy most days with our itinerary so being able to grab something off the boat would have been much more convenient.

A portion of fish & chips from Fish n Ships is $9 and the portion is tiny, the fish is literally like one fish finger from photo I have seen.

That's a shame, was looking forward to it.

Another question though, is there not (free) food availble almost 24hrs?

Note that the Indy now has Freestyle Coke machines after her drydock and refurb, so that might influence your decision to buy a soda package. Sodas SHOULD be easier to acquire than having to go to a bar, as long as the soda machines are in 24-hour accessible areas. (Some, in the Windjammer, would not be.)

Ooh, tell me more about these machines. Are they those things you get in McDonalds? How do they work as I'm guessing you need a soda package to use them?

I knew about the wine, I'd also read many times that water and soft drinks were fine, so quite disappointed now.

Maybe it's a regional thing?

We're sailing out of Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords... maybe it's not as strict with these sailings. I know in my experience on P&O (only ever sailed with them, 6 x around europe) that buying 2l bottles of coke, water etc onshore was never any problem bringing it back on-board, only alcohol.

I am from the UK and I have sailed quite a few times with RC. I have never had a problem taking water back to the ship after a port stop or on embarkation. I doubt if bottles of soda would have been a problem.

Same with food, P&O actually have premade snacks you can take.

We've been to Norway before, and we know it's expensive, plus we're going to be busy most days with our itinerary so being able to grab something off the boat would have been much more convenient.

RC don't do premade snacks.

We have tended to take our own packaged dry snacks to keep us going. My favourite is mini cheddars.

There is no late night buffet. You can get something to eat like a late night pizza but options are limited after 9:30pm.

We often resort to the dry snacks we packed if we want something to eat late in the evening.

The buffet closes at around 2130hrs. Cafe Promenade opens 24hrs where you can get sandwiches and small desserts. Sorrento’s pizza closes in the early hours of the morning.

There are a couple of Coca Cola Freestyle machines (these are the machines from Five Guys or in certain Burger King now) on the Royal Promenade that can be accessed at anytime (if they are operational). You will need a drinks package to use these machines. You get a Coca Cola souvenir cup as part of your drinks package and only those cups activate these soda machines.

The soda package gets you draught soda. But if the bartender is nice you might be able to get the odd cans. Without the soda pckage you can certainly either pay for draught or cans.

Edited by sky0000547

That's insane. I'm guessing with the soda package you get drinks from draught, and not in cans? but they can't sell you a drink from draught? :confused:

... Ooh, tell me more about these machines. Are they those things you get in McDonalds? How do they work as I'm guessing you need a soda package to use them?

Yes, with the soda package you get drinks from the fountains in restaurants and bars, and also from the Freestyle Coke machines, on those ships that have the machines.

We have sailed RCL many times both in Europe and US and have never had a problem taking a couple of 2L bottles of pop. I carry them in hand luggage at embarkation and buy bottles at port stops when needed, put them through the scanner and no one has ever mentioned them.

The bottles don't fit in the fridge but if you ask the cabin steward to keep the ice topped up you will always have a cold drink. I do only drink them in the cabin, I buy anything else I want around the ship.

Julie

We have sailed RCL many times both in Europe and US and have never had a problem taking a couple of 2L bottles of pop. I carry them in hand luggage at embarkation and buy bottles at port stops when needed, put them through the scanner and no one has ever mentioned them.

The bottles don't fit in the fridge but if you ask the cabin steward to keep the ice topped up you will always have a cold drink. I do only drink them in the cabin, I buy anything else I want around the ship.

Julie

I figured it would be no problem, glad for your input :)

Most countries do not allow any food taken off ships except pre-packaged foods like snack bars, chips, etc.

I suppose it must depend how they define "pre-packaged".

I've taken my own food off in at least 15 countries around Europe and never had any problems, usually food stuffs 'stolen' from the buffet restaurant, but wrapped in my own foil.

The buffet closes at around 2130hrs. Cafe Promenade opens 24hrs where you can get sandwiches and small desserts. Sorrento’s pizza closes in the early hours of the morning.

I've been spoiled with P&O then. Often would end up in the buffet restaurant at midnight for burgers, chips, pizza etc!

Although on this cruise, I don't think we'll be needing anything too late, I was more wondering during the day time. P&O had buffet opening times, but it was practically all day, and the times it wasn't the poolside eateries which on Britannia were pizza, burgers and chips filled in the gap, and was all included, that's why I was presuming Indy's "Fish n Ships" would be free also.

Mainly for those times you come back from shore and need something, and then have a late Dinner after a shower then show etc.

The soda package gets you draught soda. But if the bartender is nice you might be able to get the odd cans. Without the soda pckage you can certainly either pay for draught or cans.

So you can buy draught soda?

Posters above alluded that you couldn't, does anyone know those prices? That'd be really helpful.

Can you get soda in a glass or do you have to carry the cup around with you

You can get a soda in a glass. You only need the special cup if you want to use the Freestyle machine.

I’ve just got back off of the independence last week. You can buy draught soda. It was $3.50 The soft drink package was $10 a day so you’d only need to have 3 and you’d have made it worthwhile. I’ve cruised with RC 3 times now. Twice on Indy and once on Serenade. I’ve only cruised once with p&o and in my opinion RC beat them hands down in every way, ok apart from drinks prices! You do t need to take my word for it. You’ll see for yourself.

I’ve just got back off of the independence last week. You can buy draught soda. It was $3.50 The soft drink package was $10 a day so you’d only need to have 3 and you’d have made it worthwhile. I’ve cruised with RC 3 times now. Twice on Indy and once on Serenade. I’ve only cruised once with p&o and in my opinion RC beat them hands down in every way, ok apart from drinks prices! You do t need to take my word for it. You’ll see for yourself.

Everythings in dollars on-board?

Well that's a win for P&O surely ;)

Was thinking only 2 drinks a day really, as most of the day we won't be on-board, so just one with evening meal and maybe a 2nd after, during a show.

Trying to keep a tight budget and $160 for coke for a week seems excessive in my book.

That's a shame, was looking forward to it.

Café Promenade is the only eatery that is open 24 hours, with counter service. They have small sandwiches and sweets, sodas, and coffee. Sorrento's Pizza will be open late but apparently not 24 hours. (On my charter cruise on the Indy they were 24-7.)

I was somewhat disappointed at the limited free/included food offerings on the Indy, as I'm more used to Carnival.

Ooh, tell me more about these machines. Are they those things you get in McDonalds?

I've never actually seen one in a McDonalds, at least not here in the Southeast US -- with all sizes of sodas now $1 at Mcdonalds nationwide, that would be especially awesome. :)

Freestyle machines are common at Burger King, Wendy's, Firehouse Subs, Zaxby's, and a few other fast-food places here. They're pretty nifty...when they work, when they have ice, and when they've been serviced with flavor syrups. They cost about $60,000 each to purchase, or an extra added monthly fee to lease.

How do they work as I'm guessing you need a soda package to use them?

Yes, they operate using the souvenir cups provided with the package. There is a chip embedded in the cup that activates the machine.

OP, there is an oft-told tale that Freestyle machines haven't been routinely installed or offered on Royal's ships that have European itineraries, so it's possible they might not be present, or activated, on your sailing out of the UK...so don't become too enamored of the thought. (Rumour has it that it's a logistics or supply issue.)

You can get a soda in a glass. You only need the special cup if you want to use the Freestyle machine.

Something that amazes me is that Royal (and other cruise lines) doesn't offer an over-the-shoulder drink cup holder or holster for sale. Amusement parks here offer insulated neoprene holders for their season drink cups, so It'd be a no-brainer logo item for Royal to offer.