Fess Up! Share stories of mistakes you've made while cruising.

Editor Gina

One of my biggest cruise mistakes was reading too many Cruise Critic reviews about a cruise that had been booked for a family vacation. I was not particularly thrilled with what I had been reading, and was wishing I could opt out.

I went and ended up having a great cruise. I learned that you just have to know that you really don't know any of the other writers on it. What may be the best thing ever to them could be a disaster to you, or the other way around.

YES! I have learned to not put to much weight on negative reviews with no details to back them. When an entire review is something like "We were treated like cattle, food at the buffet was rubbish, our steward didn't always give us a towel animal and all the cruise was was a play to get more money from us for gold by the inch or other restaurants. Wouldn't waste my money with these wankers again." I can't take it too seriously. Yes, it's tempting...but earlier this year we went on Navigator of the Seas, even though many of the reviews were less than glowing. We had a fabulous time and no issues that even resembled a deal-breaker...so I have no idea what ship those other folks were on. Or, perhaps, the old adage, "if all your relationships become disasters, what is the common element in all of them?" might hold true about the author.

We went on our first cruise nearly 4 years ago. Had never been, and honestly, we didn't really know anyone that had. I knew I was excited, but also had a lot of anxiety because I didn't know what to expect. I started googling, and was lucky enough to stumble across Cruise Critic! Wow, what a great resource (some you tube videos helped too).

But then you go on a cruise, and you see all the people lined up to book shore excursions, or to make dinner reservations, or who simply look completely lost and overwhelmed and you realize a significant portion of passengers travel completely without planning. They haven't checked in online. They have no luggage tags for the ship. They never discover (as others have mentioned above) that the MDR is included at no extra charge. I assume they have great times anyway, but you wonder if they go home and think "that was fun, but it wasn't as great as I expected." They've never heard of Cruise Critic and probably wouldn't care if they did. It's just a different mindset that I don't personally understand.

My biggest mistake was booking Celebrity Select dining on the Celebrity Summit, prepaying my gratuities, making a reservation for the first night, and thinking that I would have Celebrity Select dining. I learned of my mistake when I found a card in my cabin that told me that I was assigned to a particular table in the MDR for first sitting.

I managed to straighten things out, after being told that my TA must have changed my booking. What's funny is that my TA was on the cruise, along with about a hundred other of his clients, and all of them, including the TA, were told that the TA had changed their booking. (We did not eat as a group. Some people had first sitting, some had second sitting, and some had Celebrity Select, but for some reason, Celebrity messed up everyone's booking.) My TA said that when he was told that his TA must have changed his booking, he said, "I"m the TA!" I have no idea why someone at Celebrity decided to change all of our bookings and then tell us that it was all the TA's fault.

These are all great. :)

I booked us into a room below the Horizon Court kitchen once. My DH still hasn't completely recovered.

I also booked us for a hike in Mexico, where we would "get our feet wet." "Getting our feet wet" turned out to be wading across a river twice. Once was hip deep with a very strong current and the other time was up to my armpits. I complained of this to the shore excursions desk, and the smart assed kid there told me that this couldn't be true because the cruiseline would never allow this to happen.

We didn't figure out that we could get lunch on the ship on embarcation day until our third cruise. We're not really very bright.

These are all great. :)

I booked us into a room below the Horizon Court kitchen once. My DH still hasn't completely recovered.

I also booked us for a hike in Mexico, where we would "get our feet wet." "Getting our feet wet" turned out to be wading across a river twice. Once was hip deep with a very strong current and the other time was up to my armpits. I complained of this to the shore excursions desk, and the smart assed kid there told me that this couldn't be true because the cruiseline would never allow this to happen.

We didn't figure out that we could get lunch on the ship on embarcation day until our third cruise. We're not really very bright.

WOW sea,

that excursion must have been amazing... one of a kind. a little scarry! they should know a bit more about their excursions!

embarkation lunch is still a secret because most of the time the crew on board tells you "there is NO dining room open for lunch" you have to go up to the buffet..

(not really true) like the times they say "ship is sailing full" when you know.. its a really short one, and it is not.

In port one time we were walking into town to shop and was stopped by someone who somehow talked us into going to investigate a time share and we ended up purchasing one. One of the dumbest things we've done, seeing as we were not likely to fly down to this island every SUMMER! I jokingly tell my DH that they must have put something in our drinks!.:eek:

In port one time we were walking into town to shop and was stopped by someone who somehow talked us into going to investigate a time share and we ended up purchasing one. One of the dumbest things we've done, seeing as we were not likely to fly down to this island every SUMMER! I jokingly tell my DH that they must have put something in our drinks!.:eek:

Happened to us too in St. Maarten...went there, and they wanted us to fill out a form with our credit card number included..that was the STOPPER right there...so we were about to walk out and the women in charge told the taxi driver not to take us...but he did anyway...whew..got out of that one..never again..

we were just going to a beach and they told us we could have the use of their private beach with lunch and everything for half hour of our time...ya right...watch out everyone..

Hmm, didn't your husband even hint at the concept of your dispensing with underwear altogether? :rolleyes: I know, I'll bet he's an engineer...

Uh, but then you would need clean slacks every day. :eek::eek::eek:

Our big mistake was not knowing we pulled out of one pier and pulled to a totally different one....we were looking for the car everywhere a bell hop finally told us what happened . We didn't know if the ship said anything and we missed it or if they didn't announce it.....we where so pissed.....hubby had to ride on a bus to get the car,then come get me

In 1998, on my 2nd cruise, we were in port and I was shopping in a store and needed an extra penny to pay for my items.... Well I noticed a small glass jar with change in it and assumed it was like at home where we put a penny or two in the jar by the cash register for some one else who might need it...... When I handed the lady the money she looked horrified and that's when it dawned on me that the jar I took the change from was for the local SPCA! Needless to say, I put the change back, payed for my items and left a hefty donation for the SPCA!

On our first cruise we booked with a CAA TA. I didn't have internet yet and was relying on her to get us a good deal. We were flying in 3 days early and staying 3 days later. She told us it was best to book everything with the cruiseline so we booked our flight and cruise as well as the REALLY expensive hotel rooms. I never booked with her again.

I had a computer and the internet for all the other cruises. I still book with a TA but I have found some good ones. They have really worked with me and I keep an eye on all the details and tell them what I want. I usually do the air and hotels myself though. I went back to the same hotel the very next cruise and did it myself. It cost us 1/3 of the price the 2nd time and we got better rooms.

The other thing was the first cruise was to Hawaii. The day we were leaving the hotel I had a migraine. I was so sick but my husband was so determined to get to the airport. I ended up throwing up and curling up on a seat in pain until we left. We got on the plane and I proceeded to try and sleep. I was so afraid I was going to throw up but managed to hold it in. I told my husband that I should not have been flying and it was not going to happen again. That is why we purchase travel insurance.

tigercat

Thanks for the tip to Prevent seasickness by using the patch. I have heard it helps

I am prone to seasickness so I use the patch. It lasts about a week for me with no side effects. On a ten-day cruise I forgot to change patches after a week and got quite seasick in the rough weather that night. So I skipped dinner, put on a new patch, and crawled into bed, knowing I would feel better in about three hours.

In came the steward to turn down the beds. He asked after my health and I told him what was going on.

Now if I'm lucky enough to be on a cruise longer than a week, I change patches after a week, even if I still feel fine.

The Scopolamine patch was not available onboard Disney. My mom was really suffering and went to the med center but they could give her nothing but the regular Dramamine. She had assumed the patch would be available in a cruise ships med center.

Our tablemates were a French Canadian family. They had a glass of wine with dinner each night.The Dad started complaining about the wine. New bottles were opened and were also unsatisfactory. It turned out the patch he was wearing altered his perception of taste.

So if you might need the patch it is best to get it and try it out at home for side affects.

I suppose maybe I am lucky, but I have never had that happen. It seems like final payment should be just that-- FINAL.

Must be something in the documents we all sign. "we reserve the right to get payment of taxes and fees, and adjustments, even after final payment" or some such wording.

Twice on my two time a year pacific coastals in the last (i will say probably 4 years) this has happened.

Interesting...

I'm not sure if this classifies as a mistake, but I feel that one previous cruises we've not taken advantage of everything the ship has to offer. We usually book port intensive cruises and being off the ship so much we don't do a lot on the ship. We need to change that on our upcoming cruise!

I'm not sure if this classifies as a mistake, but I feel that one previous cruises we've not taken advantage of everything the ship has to offer. We usually book port intensive cruises and being off the ship so much we don't do a lot on the ship. We need to change that on our upcoming cruise!

I'm not sure either. (qualifying what you said as a 'mistake') but I know what ever it is that I find relaxing I hope I will have More of that on my next cruise.

Happy cruising.

• 2 years later...

My first cruise I booked with friends, I thought we were really close.

But after that cruise we rarely talk or see each other now.

We spent barely any time together, they seemed to want to just chill in their room and do nothing, and I actually wanted to make the most of the cruise and be out of my room and do things, even if it was just relaxing on the pool deck.

I still had a good time, but there was an incident where my friends partner was very rude to my then 3 year old at the time, she was being a typical kid, not doing any harm (opening the cabin door to listen to the captains announcement after she had seen me do it- also walking around their room looking at things, not touching) and he had a go at her and said some comments that made me really upset.

My next cruise is in November with my daughters dance studio, a few of my friends will be there, but I will not be counting on spending time with them or anything, to avoid any disappointment.

Also another mistake I made was, I applied sunscreen at isle of pines, all good, kept reapplying, but I didn't do the back of my neck cos I couldn't reach there. Well I didn't get burnt anywhere else but there, it was soooo painful and took 2 weeks to finally start peeling. My daughter was the one who would apply the cooling gel to the back of my neck for the rest of the cruise, if only I had thought to get her to apply the sunscreen there...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a returning airport story. My DD and I were at the London airport years ago while it was under construction. We were having fun shopping in the shops and decided we should start towards the gates to board. We thought we had lots of time but as we entered the passage way to the gates there was a sign that said it was about a 45 minute walk to the gates! We picked up the pace and it was a long walk.

It was at least 45 minutes dashing and by the time we got to our gate the door was closing on the plane and we leaped on and the door slammed behind us. Why is our gate always the last gate?

They should let you know how long the walk will be before you enter the passage way or is it the panic way.

4boysnana

I think that I was in the same passageway getting off a plane in London once. Did you notice thatg there was a bathroom halfway along the passageway just in case you could not make it to the terminal.

DON

Never any real issues on board a cruise. But every issue we have is always at the airpo,rt we always seem to have problems/panics. Last cruse there was a major panic over the wife leaving the passports and tickets at airport security, It was only later after we sorted this problem and in the frantic searching I discovered I had accidentally left duty free with lip gloss, lips stick, eye shadow and blusher the wife was planning on buying....without paying.

On the same trip we also had Jewelry left at airport security (along with her see through bag of toiletries with inhaler) as well as being pulled aside for traces of explosives found on a new hand bag which she bought on the cruise ship! Needless to say I now dread the airport part while we are heading to our cruise.

My first cruise I booked with friends, I thought we were really close.

But after that cruise we rarely talk or see each other now.Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is so sad - I'm so sorry it ended that way for you! However, I hear lots of other stories of friends cruising together, only to never be friends again. We are very blessed I guess. There is a group of 8 of us who have been on several cruises together, and we have the best time! We are all still very close. Sure, we can all say we've had our "moments", maybe when we're tired and get cranky, but we all know to not take it personally. We always have an agreement that if we all want to do something as a group we will. If some want to break away and do their own thing, that's fine, too. And man, we have some stories! In fact, we had dinner with one of the couples last week, and we got to reminiscing about our cruises. We laughed so hard at some of our scenarios that we were hurting! I hope time can heal the wounds for you. Best wishes!

Biggest mistakes

1)Booking a 7 day cruise with people we had never traveled with even for a simple weekend getaway 1st.

2) Book a car service to get us to the airport from the house and let them decide when we should get picked up after providing flight info- they got us to the airport as if we weren't checking bags, had 5min before the cutoff then had to rush to the restroom (not easy when you need a handicapped stall) then rush to the gate.

3) Head to the buffet for embarkation lunch. = zoo

4) Pack multipe new outfits for each day - now just mix an match wearing things twice hand washing or send for cleaning when needed.

5) Forgot cold/flu meds - caught a cold the last two SEA DAYS thanks to multiple people sneezing and coughing without covering their mouths the first 3 days. Ship was sold out of everything an doctor wanted $$$.

As a lifetime asthmatic, it is crucial that I have my asthma meds with me on all cruises. Well, on a ten-night Panama Canal Cruise, I realized the first night at bedtime that I had only a few inhalations left on my inhaler. I soon ran out during the cruise and had to inhale well beyond the zero for the rest of the cruise, knowing the inhaler was empty but praying a few medicinal fumes were left.

Long story short: If you have really important prescription medications, make absolutely certain you have all you need before you step foot on the ship. On a cruise ship you may not be able to get any medications you left behind at home.

Good advice, and I'll take it one step further. Make sure you have enough for the cruise, AND MORE. Think of all the Caribbean cruises this past hurricane season that had extended itineraries at sea or in alternate ports due to the weather. Take enough meds with you for the cruise and at least a week's extra, and always consider the possibility of delayed arrival due to unforeseen circumstances. Good advice for any travel ,not just cruises.

My husband doesn't like to wear a watch and didn't bring one on a cruise in the Med. He spent the first 2 days of the cruise asking me what time it was about every 15 minutes as he had no other way to find out and wanted to go to various things on the ship. Of course we had lots of excursions planned and I knew he just had to have a watch or this would go on daily for 13 days. When we reached our first stop in Portugal and finally had a bit of time for shopping I went in the first shop I could find that had cheap watches and asked the shop girl for the cheapest men's watch she had. She was somewhat non-plussed but helped me find an inexpensive men's watch with a working battery and I bought it for my husband to wear for the rest of the cruise. All I can say is be sure your traveling companions bring their watches, especially when traveling overseas especially if they will not be using their smartphones overseas.

Not us but we witness it. Our first cruise we parked at Lighthouse parking in Galveston. As we were getting out of our car we were talking about excited we were. The car next to us was running and nobody around it and locked. When the van came around to pick us up, we told him about the car still running and nobody around it. He laughed and said the people would be back cause their passports and boarding passes were sitting on the console. We guessed they were even more excited than we were.