IConcierge app

dizneydawn

I plan to use the IConcierge app during my cruise in November. I have a pdf with instructions that said to put the phone in airplane mode and turn on the wifi to use the app.

Will I still be able to send and receive texts with my phone in airplane mode? Since recieving texts was not expensive on our last cruise we had our petsitter text us every day. Verizon sent me a text once I was onboard with rates for texting.

On the last cruise I turned off my data, but it was not a NCl cruise.

Any body have experience with this?

Thanks!

I've used iCongierge app but removed my sim while on ship so my response may not answer your inquiry. You will not receive normal sms texts (as opposed to iMessage or Hangouts) while in airplane mode. However, the app should work well either way. Using airplane mode is to prevent unwanted data charges. If you turn off cellular data, or at least roaming, you should avoid Verizon data usage.

Best way I've found is to leave your phone on normal wifi and cellular but just disable data roaming.

That way people san still contact you (say in an emergency) but any other calls you get you can simply not accept as its only when you are connected voice roaming charges apply.

Basic SMS messages should still be received but iMessages and picture messages require cellular data.

Best way I've found is to leave your phone on normal wifi and cellular but just disable data roaming.

That way people san still contact you (say in an emergency) but any other calls you get you can simply not accept as its only when you are connected voice roaming charges apply.

Basic SMS messages should still be received but iMessages and picture messages require cellular data.

How would you disable data roaming....by notifying the phone company?

Don

To turn off data roaming on an iPhone 4:

Go to:

Settings

Cellular Data OFF

Voice and Data Roaming OFF

iConcierge worked well for us on Breakaway. Not every text went through, but it was also good to check accounts, shows and restaurant times, plus the dailies.

You must download the app BEFORE boarding the ship.

Have fun!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

I have read about the iPhone. You would put your phone on airplane mode and use Wi-Fi. You sign up for 7.99 a person and you can communicate with whoever else has signed up through the Wi-Fi on the ship. It doesn't work when you're off the ship. You can also make reservations for dining and shows, excursions, etc.

Pretty positive when airplane mode is on even if u try to put wifi on you can't receive texts. If you send texts they will sit in your outbox until you turn off airplane mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is what I thought.

Pretty positive when airplane mode is on even if u try to put wifi on you can't receive texts. If you send texts they will sit in your outbox until you turn off airplane mode.

Unless you you have signed up for an internet package (not just the iconcierge app), in which case you should still send/receive texts with airplane mode and wifi on. I assume that texts through iConcierge will not count against your internet package?

So u can text with other with this app at sea?

Yes. Each person must have the app and each must pay the $8. (or whatever it is now) fee. Your device will be assigned a specific number. You can also phone each other, but that aspect didn't seem to work for us 2 years ago. We absolutely plan on activating the app on our next two Epic cruises.

Could someone post the Android APK file for this? I can't download in Play store, says incompatible device but that is ridiculous. I'm sure the APK would work but I can't find it and NCL hadn't replied to my email

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro