A Few Gem Questions

Cobra1365

We are sailing Gem out of NY next Feb 25 on the 11 day run to Carib.

Last and only time we’ve sailed this line was actually NCLA out of Honolulu on Pride of America in 2006. I imagine (and honestly hope) this ship experience will be better.

That being said, a couple of questions since we’re essentially new to NCL.

Our vacation summary lists “Adult Beverage Package” can I assume that is how they list the Ultimate Beverage Package and does it include specialty coffees?

We also have 2 nights Specialty Dining. Cagney’s is a lock. But, we’re trying to decide on the French Bistro or the Brazilian steak house for the second....thoughts?

Are there any shows that require reservations?

Anything else unique to NCL we should know?

Thanks!

Hi!

We sailed on the breakaway last May We tried all of the specialty places

We are sailing on the Gem in June

We are skipping moderno

and doing Le bistro cagney la cucina teppanyaki

Its certainly a matter of choice

and while we loved the Moderno salad bar we found the meat bleh

so for us we will skip it this time

enjoy your cruise!!!

We also have 2 nights Specialty Dining. Cagney’s is a lock. But, we’re trying to decide on the French Bistro or the Brazilian steak house for the second....thoughts?

Thanks!

We've sailed on the Gem three times; the Jewel class ships are a very comfortable size, we enjoy them.

I would definitely pass on Moderno's. We've tried it several times on two NCL ships (including the Gem) and have concluded that NCL just can't pull off a churrascaria at sea. While the salad bar was fine, the meats -- the reason for eating there -- were terrible. Tough, dried out. Every time, even when we asked specifically for particular meats.

Le Bistro is very nice, though not what it used to be. (What is, these days, on a cruise ship.) But far better than Moderno's.

The one thing that never seems to change is Teppanyaki. Always fun atmosphere, good food (steak and shrimp, yum, skip the green tea ice cream); just to do once on a cruise, not more often. Might you add a third specialty venue (you do have 11 nights, after all)?

No reservations for shows on the Gem (and the other Jewel class ships).

The Great Outdoors is a wonderful place for hanging out and relaxing. Not just to eat.

Have a terrific cruise!

Four times on the Gem!

Skip Moderno, unless you absolutely love MEAT!

Personally. I'd also skip Teppanyaki unless you are among the first diners of the day. Too damn noisy for such a small room when you are not one of the two tables being feted.

Le Bistro is very well done, and very comfortable.

We are sailing Gem out of NY next Feb 25 on the 11 day run to Carib.

Last and only time we’ve sailed this line was actually NCLA out of Honolulu on Pride of America in 2006. I imagine (and honestly hope) this ship experience will be better.

That being said, a couple of questions since we’re essentially new to NCL.

Our vacation summary lists “Adult Beverage Package” can I assume that is how they list the Ultimate Beverage Package and does it include specialty coffees?

Thanks!

Specialty Coffees (lattes, espresso etc) are not included in the UBP....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We are sailing on the Gem in April, and after hearing very bad things about Moderno, we are skipping that and doing Teppanyaki. Very excited about that one! We love hibachi here, especially for the show aspect, so we think it'll be a good time! We don't mind the noise.

Le Bistro on the Gem is my favorite! Make sure you get the Crème Brule for desert it is out of this world.

Moderno is just ehh. Salad bar is pretty good but meats are just awful, very dry and salty.

Also a pretty neat thing on the Gem is being able to observe the Bridge. Very cool. The viewing room also has some navigation/ electronics that you can observe which is pretty neat. I like that it shows you their estimated arrival (which tends to be different and more accurate than what's on the daily).

Enjoy!

I would agree with the other posters. Le Bistro is the better choice. When NCL first introduced Moderno we enjoyed it so much we went a second time during the same cruise. That was on the Gem a number of years ago. It was never as good after that first time though, so we just stopped going.

We haven't done a Hawaii cruise on NCL but a lot of people seem to think its a very different experience than other NCL cruises. Not necessarily bad, just different. Things have changed a lot since 2006 anyway.

As per other posters Cagneys is the # 1 option and i always enjoy Le Bistro

Jewell Class ships seem to offer the classic cruise experience, right size right options.

Cruising has evolved a great deal since 2006.

Remember there are no bad cruises just bad cruisers

Please enjoy and keep positive attitude and we look forward to your review upon return

Sailing on Gem June 2018

NCL Escape -2016

NCL - Getaway -2015

NCL Pearl - 2014

NCL Sky -2017 -2015-2014-2013

NCL Skyward --1994

NCL Sun -1986