Sewer smell on the Sunshine

I have heard that there is often a sewer smell on some Carnival ships ... Wondering why this happens ONLY on Carnival ships, and what they are planning to do to remedy it. ...

I've experienced the problem on ships of several lines. A perusal of the cc forums will turn up such complaints from almost every cruise line.

I used to think it was only on older ships until I caught a whiff on Allure in its first year of service.

I agree with others that have suggested the most common cause is dried out drain traps. But I do recall sailing with a couple that had a miserable cruise after their cabin flooded and left a pungent reminder of the event.

• 1 month later...
I have heard that there is often a sewer smell on some Carnival ships, mostly complaints coming from the passengers of the Triumph, Ecstasy, and Victory, but my daughter just got off the Sunshine today after a 5 day cruise with her family and 80 of their closest friends, and they said at times the odor was just awful and nauseating! She did say the odor was not always present, and it didn’t interfere with this HUGE group from Buffalo, NY from having a fabulous time, but it was still a nuisance. Anybody else just get off the Sunshine today (April 6) and notice a sewer smell? Wondering why this happens ONLY on Carnival ships, and what they are planning to do to remedy it. I’m just returning to Carnival myself after having not cruised with them since 2007, and I find this very distressful. I never noticed this on any of my RCCL or NCL ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been on Sunshine 3 times and never noticed a smell. No smells either on Splendor or Pride.

I only experienced it once and it was on RCL Serenade, first sailing after the maiden voyage in 2003. By mid cruise it was fine but there was a problem that affected the entire ship...Don't know what the cause was but we all got OBC because of it.

I got whiff of a slight sewer/ wet carpet type smell around the atrium on the Triumph last month. It was the afternoon of the last sea day and by the evening it was gone. I didn’t notice it anywhere else. Thamks to CC, I knew that happened from time to time. Since it didn’t affect my cabin, we went elsewhere.

Correct... I think the smell moved from MSC Seaside to sunshine (lol).... I think Seaside finally figured it out.... Last couple cruises, including ours last week....NO Sewage smell!!

I got a slight sniff of smell when we boarded seaside in April but it lasted just a few seconds didn't smell it again the whole trip.