Paradise Cuba walk off question

ballarinamom

Hey there- so I have been to Cuba twice this year both PRE and post June 16. Once on NCL and once RCL. Both times I was allowed to walk off and use private, approved tours. My parents are going to be on the Paradise next week and have two tours booked on the first day. Neither your will include much of old havana which is right off of the cruise terminal. Has anyone crushing carnival recently been able to walk off with out a booked tour? They just want to walk three blocks to one of the plazas and see the churches. The other cruise lines allow this. And before anyone says anything about the "laws", they say don't spend money on government businesses but Carnival has night tours to the Tropicana and Parisienne- both government owned businesses. All the tours they want to take are full, even though they are diamond level which should've given them escursion priority. Thanks on Advance for answering

<snip>

Has anyone cruised Carnival recently been able to walk off without a booked tour?

<snip>

We did a Paradise-Cuba cruise in October and while we did take one CCL sponsored tour, no one really cared.

Officially, one is supposed to only take tours that feature "cultural enrichment" (or some BS like that) and I believe that there is a spot on some paper you're given to record what you've done, but no one is checking AFA your destination/itinerary AT ALL. Later that night and again the next day we just walked off into town.

Customs is a bit of a hassle, (Passport/Visa in hand you walk up to a booth individually and answer some questions. then baggage screening both ways, and finally, currency exchange).

In summary, I'd tell your parents , "Official tours are not required", No one is checking....

That was my question to Carnival. Having done havana with RCL and NCL, you simply walked off the ship and went through the Cuban customs. Fairly simple process with a slight delay in the customs "closet". But carnival told me on the phone they will only let passengers off if they are in a CCL tour. They will exceed their 8 hour tour requirement the first day but Just want to take a short walk around the first few blocks of old Havana and look at the old cars- simple and on their time

"then baggage screening both ways, and finally, currency exchange)."

You had to take your bags off the ship?

Once you clear the visa "closet", your backpack, purses, bags will be sent through an X-ray machine.

If you have never gotten off in Cuba, it is a process. There are 6-12 lines in front of doors. One at a time, you enter the room and they ask you I remove glasses and hats, take your picture and ask a few questions before they stamp your passport. When you leave the "room" they will X-ray your bags. Currency exchange is next or you can bypass if you already have euros or cucs

That was my question to Carnival. Having done havana with RCL and NCL, you simply walked off the ship and went through the Cuban customs. Fairly simple process with a slight delay in the customs "closet". But carnival told me on the phone they will only let passengers off if they are in a CCL tour. They will exceed their 8 hour tour requirement the first day but Just want to take a short walk around the first few blocks of old Havana and look at the old cars- simple and on their time

We are booked on the Paradise to Cuba next April. I specifically asked my PVP if we could book a tour through a private vendor and was told we could "book guided tours through CCL or a private vendor". We have booked our group through a private company for an 8 hour full-day customized tour in a vintage hardtop vehicle for a fraction of the cost of Carnival's tours. Carnival's full day tours are running between $115-145 per person. So for my husband and I, we'd be paying anywhere from $230 to almost $300 for the tour. The company we decided to book with is charging us $400 USD total for our group of 7 or $57 per person. Can't even compare the costs! Plus it's a personalized tour for just us! And once we are done with the tour and have met the people to people requirements, we can explore Havana on our own.

We are booked on the Paradise to Cuba next April. I specifically asked my PVP if we could book a tour through a private vendor and was told we could "book guided tours through CCL or a private vendor". We have booked our group through a private company for an 8 hour full-day customized tour in a vintage hardtop vehicle for a fraction of the cost of Carnival's tours. Carnival's full day tours are running between $115-145 per person. So for my husband and I, we'd be paying anywhere from $230 to almost $300 for the tour. The company we decided to book with is charging us $400 USD total for our group of 7 or $57 per person. Can't even compare the costs! Plus it's a personalized tour for just us! And once we are done with the tour and have met the people to people requirements, we can explore Havana on our own.

Thanks for this. I was on the phone yesterday with three fun shop folks, an it person and a pvp and they were all telling me

No. When I knew from past trips it was possible

• 2 weeks later...

How long does it take to get through customs and exchange CUC? We are going in July. Not worried about the tour thing personally, but would love to know what to expect. Any longer then a port where you are tendered in?

How long does it take to get through customs and exchange CUC? We are going in July. Not worried about the tour thing personally, but would love to know what to expect. Any longer then a port where you are tendered in?

We just got back from the Cuba cruise over the weekend. The process takes a while in total. First the ship must get cleared by local officials, then they allow the carnival shore excursion folks off. If you are not taking a Carnival shore excursion we had to get a sticker that put is in a group to get off the ship. We had to wait for our number to be called, word of advice, get that grouping early. We spent more time waiting for our group to be called.

Once off the ship you have to go through immigration. There probably 12 lines and it moved relatively fast, not lightning but didn't take hours. Once you have your passport stamped you have to go through security, similar to the airport with less undressing. Next is the currency exchange. The line for the currency exchange for us was as long as the terminal and was actually causing them to stop x-raying bags. We passed this line up and went to a bank in the public square across the street. Waited a short time and off we went.

This has to be one of the most complex questions to ask!

Cruise line companies = required to tell you the official USA policy on the tour stop or they will get in trouble. So call any one of the companies, and ask the question, and they will tell you that you can only take official tours. They are required to do this or they will not be permitted to sail to Cuba. So I recommend, don't call them, they won't budge.

In port = The cruise line are not custom agents, and have no legal authority in Cuba to keep you from getting off the ship.

Cuba = The government does not require you to take tours. They don't care, and will not stop you for shopping, unless you don't have a passport, and tourist visa.

Once you are in port, ask yourself, who is in charge? Cuba is. If you want to go against what the USA says is right or wrong, it's you choice. But the cruise line, can't check every single person, and follow them in Cuba to make sure they are complying.