Chef's Table, Carnival Dream

mdsgu

We have a group of 10 (including 3 children, ages 9, 8, and 7) sailing on the Dream June 10. Some of us have done a Chef's Table on Royal Caribbean, and it was VERY good -- with a lot of wine. Does anyone know how Carnival's version stacks up? Would it be worth the $95? Anyone know the menu?

Carnival's Chefs Table does NOT include wine pairing like Royal's. Nor does it include the Chef's deep explanation of the next course. The chef does speak of it a little, but Royals chef goes much further. Also, Carnival's table doesn't have a host that keeps things rolling.

Everyone's "Worth It" value is different.

I will not be spending my money for the Chef's Table on my next Carnival cruise. I do have reservations on my next Royal cruise though.

I would not include the kids on Chef's Table for either line. Heck, I told my adult friend who only eats Steak and Potato not to join us. Let alone someone who only eats chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and mac n' cheese

When we did Carnival’s Chef Table on the Dream, it was really good. Was held in the Galley and included wine pairing. The Chef did comment that they had an issue with one Celebrity group drinking too much, getting drunk, and not paying much attention to the food at all....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmm, sounds like we would be disappointed after having experienced the "royal" version. That was in 2016, and we had the same 3 children with us then. They weren't into the Chef's Table food, but they were very well behaved despite the 2.5hr experience (thank goodness for iPads!).

When we did Carnival’s Chef Table on the Dream, it was really good. Was held in the Galley and included wine pairing. The Chef did comment that they had an issue with one Celebrity group drinking too much, getting drunk, and not paying much attention to the food at all....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see our experience differs regarding the wine pairing.

My experience on Rhapsody In Europe in 2016.

1/2 hour to 1 hour social beforehand with complimentary champagne

Tour of the galley, introduction to the chef, then seated.

A different wine from different parts of the world paired with the next course.

The chef explaining the next course in preparation along with the Sommelier explaining the choice of wine and why the pairing.

We did get a little tipsey but it also allowed everyone to meet and talk to each other no matter in the world we were from.

On the Carnival Vista in April 2017

There was no social beforehand

We did tour the galley, a great example of how food can taste differently depending on preparation. I remember we had a greek olive, then a greek olive that had been marinated, then a greek olive that had been marinated along with a slice of parmesan cheese, then a greek olive that had been marinated then lightly wrapped in like a sugar coat like a small cotton candy. It was amazing.

Then seated

I believe this was the only time that wine was offered.

A quick explanation of the upcoming course.

Water or sparkeling water was offered

With time in between courses to meet the other guests.

We had the Chef's Table on the Dream and it was excellent. They do not do wine pairing, however the wine is free pouring all night, a red and a white. A pairing is a different wine with each course, not on Carnival.

I see our experience differs regarding the wine pairing.

My experience on Rhapsody In Europe in 2016.

1/2 hour to 1 hour social beforehand with complimentary champagne

Tour of the galley, introduction to the chef, then seated.

A different wine from different parts of the world paired with the next course.

The chef explaining the next course in preparation along with the Sommelier explaining the choice of wine and why the pairing.

We did get a little tipsey but it also allowed everyone to meet and talk to each other no matter in the world we were from.

On the Carnival Vista in April 2017

There was no social beforehand

We did tour the galley, a great example of how food can taste differently depending on preparation. I remember we had a greek olive, then a greek olive that had been marinated, then a greek olive that had been marinated along with a slice of parmesan cheese, then a greek olive that had been marinated then lightly wrapped in like a sugar coat like a small cotton candy. It was amazing.

Then seated

I believe this was the only time that wine was offered.

A quick explanation of the upcoming course.

Water or sparkeling water was offered

With time in between courses to meet the other guests.

Its interesting. It seems that each sailing is slightly different.

I never got a Kitchen tour on the 3 Chef's Table I've done on Royal Caribbean (2 x Granduer, 1 x Anthem). We were invited to go to the special dining area and seated immediately. Some Chef's have made a big presentation on their courses and others, not so much. Same with the Sommellier, some have put a lot of thought into it, and others are like "meh, here ya go". Also never had a social previous to the meal. My first one, the wine didn't flow as easily and it was difficult getting a refill, but subsequent ones did not have that issue.

On Carnival (Pride x2), we did have a social prior to the Chef's Table. We all met at the Centrum, they gave us champagne and chatted a bit before leading us all to the kitchen tour. The demonstration was interesting and we all got recipes. In 2012, the Chef made a big presentation on each course, but in 2015, not so much. Also in 2012, Chef's table had what i like to called "Wine Ninjas". There were 4 attendants and they would sneak in and refill your wine class when you were looking the other way. You never knew how much you were drinking. It was insidious. 2015, there was only 1 attendant for the same number of people. Still, both times, wine was flowing very easily.

• 4 weeks later...

The only time I have done the Chef's Table was on the Dream in 2015. My son is a chef and I did it as a surprise to him. We met in a lounge first, where were given, I believe, two different appetizers, along with wine. The Chef spoke about each item, encouraging us to explore the flavors and talking about how it was made, what part of the world it was from, etc. Then we went down to the galley where there was a large table for us to sit at. We did have wine pairings, which were wonderful . . . my son excels at pairing wines with food, so he really enjoyed this and agreed with the selections we received. Throughout our time in the galley, we had an area behind us where they would prepare the food and the chef would explain how everything was prepared. In between courses we were taken around the galley and at one point we were even allowed to make the Melting Cake. If you have well behaved kids I think it would be fun to do, but if they would have a hard time sitting for 2.5 plus hours that might not be the best for them. I highly encourage anyone thinking of doing this to sign up and do it. It was a wonderful experience that I will absolutely repeat when I can take a cruise with my son again -- my husband is not adventurous with regard to food. On a side note, I am not a fan of fish (of any kind), however, keeping in the spirit of how this is intended, I became adventurous. Out of the many courses, only one was something that I did not enjoy and handed that off to my son. However, I found that many of the seafood dishes were amazing. I hope you have a wonderful time on the Dream!!!

I did Chefs table on Conquest last year, we all met in the lobby area and were offered champagne while we waited for tour to get started. The champagne was flowing throughout our tour of the galley and in the galley we were given atleast 5 different appetizers that were explained in medium detail to us along with a quick chocolate melting cake tutorial. After that we were taken to a special dining room just outside of the MDR and seated at a large table and offered red or white wine with dinner but I do not recall any pairings. Wine was unlimited though. Sounds like each ship might be different?