Waiver for underage drinkers?

Megan_Strick

It sounds odd that the cruise line would allow that.

Their ship, their rules. (NCL, not Carnival) It's beer and wine only for passengers 18+ with a waiver from parents. I believe parents must be on the cruise, too. Some exceptions apply.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was reading a review of a lady who went on the NCL Breakaway and was able to sign a waiver for her 20 year old son to be able to drink. Does Carnival do that too?

Carnival does not allow those under 21 to drink alcohol, even on European or Mediterranean sailings.

Also the waiver mentioned for NCL only covers beer and wine by the glass and it is not an option offered on all itineraries. The parent or legal guardian whom must be on the same sailing, may need paperwork to prove relationship or legal custody, as a casual guardian or chaperon can not legally assume the medically or financial liability clause the waiver. The waiver, when allowed, is only available at the Customer Service desk and subject to possible security review.

I will admit, I'm very surprised that they do allow it... Not a fan of that option, but that's my opinion.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

International waters........but still a bad idea.

Why? The drinking age here in Canada (where I live) is 19 and nothing horrible happens. It's no different then people in the US who are 21+ drinking.

:):) Sorry guys I grew up in NYC and was able to drink at the age of 18 and guess what I'm still here at age 78. It did not kill me. One more point at age 18 you can fight and die for our country but you can't drink beer? Let get off it and be real for a change enough of the PC.:rolleyes:

:):) Sorry guys I grew up in NYC and was able to drink at the age of 18 and guess what I'm still here at age 78. It did not kill me. One more point at age 18 you can fight and die for our country but you can't drink beer? Let get off it and be real for a change enough of the PC.:rolleyes:

I also drank at 18 in NYC and looking back made some bad decisions and drove when I had no business doing so. As a result of my experience 21 sounds right to me

Eh, even in the US (in some states) under 21s can drink with their parents permission and restaurant distraction. Also many people traveling are from countries where the drinking age is 18.

The kids can get wasted on the islands and miss the ship coming back or have beer and wine only on the ship with their parents knowledge. The latter sounds a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival used to actually let you drink if you were 18-20 in its early days. I was 20 on my first Carnival cruise. The souvenir glasses were glass, and not refillable. I remember having Miami Vice's in them. I drank at the Captain's party. But, I was with my parents, and responsible. I'm going to assume that there were too many in that age group who didn't make wise choices, so they changed it to 21.

I was on a Carnival cruise and this has been several years ago ..... but we had a group of high school seniors (about 13) and one of the parents that was with us in the dining room asked if her daughter could have a glass of wine and they let her have it .... I was there and witnessed that .... she was the same age as my daughter 18 so I know this also .......... not arguing whether it was wrong or right just stating a fact .......

Alcohol before 21 is not the end of the world. Yes, we fully respect the 21 rule aboard the ship (and when travelling in the USA), but my point is that introducing kids to alcohol before then is not a big deal within reason. The mentality of strictly restricting booze and keeping it a mystery until they're in the 20's causes kids to suddenly go out and get completely plastered (or worse) as soon as they're legal because they don't understand it's effects, or respect it.

Personally, we carefully introduced our kids to alcohol (via a sip of beer or wine here and there) in their mid teens...and yes, drinking age here in Canada is 19. When we were in the Caribbean my son enjoyed a beer at (gasp!) 18 and my daughter enjoyed a (weak) slush drink last year at 17, but the laws are of course a little more lax down there, and they were in our supervision the entire time. They got a kick out of it and maybe the slightest of buzzes, but that was it. The horror.

They're both still perfectly healthy and the "mystery" of alcohol is no longer a big deal to them. My son is now approaching 21 and drinks very responsibly, and my daughter no longer thinks it's a big deal and is mostly indifferent now honestly.

Reality is many kids are drinking long before 21 anyways, whether or not parents want to to believe it.

Alcohol before 21 is not the end of the world. Yes, we fully respect the 21 rule aboard the ship (and when travelling in the USA), but my point is that introducing kids to alcohol before then is not a big deal within reason. The mentality of strictly restricting booze and keeping it a mystery until they're in the 20's causes kids to suddenly go out and get completely plastered (or worse) as soon as they're legal because they don't understand it's effects, or respect it.

Personally, we carefully introduced our kids to alcohol (via a sip of beer or wine here and there) in their mid teens...and yes, drinking age here in Canada is 19. When we were in the Caribbean my son enjoyed a beer at (gasp!) 18 and my daughter enjoyed a (weak) slush drink last year at 17, but the laws are of course a little more lax down there, and they were in our supervision the entire time. They got a kick out of it and maybe the slightest of buzzes, but that was it. The horror.

They're both still perfectly healthy and the "mystery" of alcohol is no longer a big deal to them. My son is now approaching 21 and drinks very responsibly, and my daughter no longer thinks it's a big deal and is mostly indifferent now honestly.

Reality is many kids are drinking long before 21 anyways, whether or not parents want to to believe it.

I agree almost every young person I know (including myself back in the day ... and the drinking age was 18 then) drink before the legal age ..... I am positive that both my daughter and son now 28 & 24 both drank before legal age ... not in front of me .... but I am sure they did ..... whether parents want to believe it or not is their right ...... but that doesn't make what they believe correct ... just my opinion and we all have one

It sounds odd that the cruise line would allow that.

I think it's odd that Carnival hasn't instituted a waiver yet. If we're basing our objections to a waiver on the erroneous perception that underage drinking is illegal in the US, consider the fact that most states have exceptions to the minimum drinking age. Admittedly, a handful of states only have exceptions for religious, medical and educational purposes, and it's a stretch to apply those to drinking socially on a cruise, but many states flat out allow underage people to consume under a variety of situations. My state allows underage drinking on the private property of the adult providing the alcohol if that adult is a member of the same immediate family.