New to NCL, confused about how dining works???

crazyboutdisney

We are sailing on the Getaway in February. We are booked through a travel agent for a themed cruise that includes the alcohol and no specialty dining. We are fine with eating in the main dining rooms and dont plan on any specialty. So how does the main dining room work? What is freestyle dining ? We are at 86 days until our cruise and we have booked a few shows but I dont understand if I am supposed to be doing something for dining?

You just show up at the main dining room(s) or the buffet and eat. No charge.

Once you board, they will list all the dining options and times they are open.

Check the NCL.COM webpage and it will list all the dining options on the Getaway with included and extra charge.

The Main Dining Rooms work just like a restaurant on land. You show up, they seat you, and a server comes over to take your order. There are no set times. You can set your own, of course. In over 10 cruises we have never had to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes for a table, and that only a couple of times. Most of the time we are seated right away.

Your party is almost always seated at a table just for it; there aren't a lot of 8-top tables where they seat 4 couples who don't know each other together. You can ask to be seated with others, but you may have to wait for that, as most people like to be seated with the ones they came with. You will probably have different servers each night, rather than the same wait staff each night. If you go at the same time every night you may get the same server more than once.

There is no formal night. Leave the tux and suits at home. There is usually a night they designate as "Norwegian's Night Out" for people who want to have a specific night to dress up, but very few people dress up. There is only a minimal dress code involved, just like most restaurants on land.

The one thing to keep in mind is that, in my opinion, the dinner service is a bit slower on NCL. They will let you sit there for two hours if you want. They won't rush you, and this laid back attitude can make you miss show times, etc. if you are sitting there really enjoying your meal. If you have a specific time you want to leave, let the server know and they will adapt and get food to you quickly.

In addition to the 2 or 3 main dining rooms, there is also a pub-style restaurant called O'Sheehan's that is open 24 hours a day and serves food like hamburgers, fish and chips, chicken wings, and usually a nightly "special" for dinner like prime rib. And of course the buffet. Those are the free options.

... when I was looking at their website it showed that you could select dinner times and I started second guessing it.

The Tropicana Room main dining room is the only complimentary restaurant that takes reservations. It's only necessary if you want to eat during peak times with minimal wait or as insurance if you have to eat at a certain time.

Ok thanks! It seems very much like carnival. We will be with one other couple so just the 4 of us.

I kind of thought that was how it worked but when I was looking at their website it showed that you could select dinner times and I started second guessing it.

Eh, it’s sort of like Carnival. Carnival has a dedicated dining room for traditional dining and a dedicated dining room for Anytime Dining. Norwegian is all Anytime in all MDRs. However you can make reservations for dining starting 80 days from embarkation if you wish. It’s not necessary, but at peak times you might wait 5-15 minutes for a table.

The Tropicana Room main dining room is the only complimentary restaurant that takes reservations. It's only necessary if you want to eat during peak times with minimal wait or as insurance if you have to eat at a certain time.

FYI, Savor and Taste also offer reservations, currently available on the website for my upcoming Feb Getaway cruise.

We have sailed on the Getaway twice. We like to have reservations each night so we book our dinners at a restaurant each night so that we can be guaranteed that time if we want to catch a show or do something else in the evening. You do not have to make reservations but I have found you get better seating (ie by the windows) if you do RSVP. Also note that they have the same menu in taste and savor. It's just split by the mix bar. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

Ok might look into reservations. We will need to eat early because the events w our themed cruise are from 6-9. I’m sure we don’t need to arrive at 6 but I don’t want to be still eating at 8pm.

Just tell the server when you need to be finished by. They will time your courses to make it happen.

Eh, it’s sort of like Carnival. Carnival has a dedicated dining room for traditional dining and a dedicated dining room for Anytime Dining. Norwegian is all Anytime in all MDRs. However you can make reservations for dining starting 80 days from embarkation if you wish. It’s not necessary, but at peak times you might wait 5-15 minutes for a table.

NCL does not have dress up days, nor do you have to show up like a fat cat in the MDRs. Although in Carnival, you don't really have to dress up either since a tuxedo wife beater will do, but then you don't have pockets to take the silverwares in.