Where is the dock in Nuremburg?

sjde

Just to explain this further: Nuremberg is on the river Pegnitz which is not navigable for river cruise ships. The ship sails on the Main Danube Canal which runs through the district of Nuremberg but is quite a distance from the town itself. You can make this out on google maps by following a road called Südwesttangente. It partly follows the canal and somewhere there (I have not been to the port myself) is where the ships dock.

notamermaid

we did a Budapest to Nur' trip ..... Viking

on 'arrival' to Nur area the boat stopped 4 miles south of Nur', "Gibitzenhof" and disembarked folks for the included tour, then the boat continued to Erlangen where it actually tied up for the night; cruise ending the following morning. {I'm looking at my 'cruise book' itinerary for the details}

Erlangen is approx 9.5 miles NNE of Old City (on Main Canal; past the airport) and the main train station (we set off on our own after the cruise, took a taxi fm Erl' to a hotel just outside 'Old City' a couple of blocks from main train station, eventually left Nur' via ICE train from the main station en route Hamburg)

Edited by Capt_BJ

Erlangen is approx 9.5 miles NNE of Old City (on Main Canal; past the airport) and the main train station (we set off on our own after the cruise, took a taxi fm Erl' to a hotel just outside 'Old City' a couple of blocks from main train station, eventually left Nur' via ICE train from the main station en route Hamburg)

@Capt_BJ , do you happen to know if the "Viking Air" folks typically left out of Hamburg as well?

@Capt_BJ , do you happen to know if the "Viking Air" folks typically left out of Hamburg as well?

on our trip most left from Prague!!! 150 miles by bus, and those folks left at something like 4AM ..... :eek:

we were glad we weren't one of them!!! We stayed on board til lunch time then took a taxi to our hotel near the train station ....

we went to Hamburg to get on QM2 for the trip back to the states. Took a little longer (9 day transit) but a balcony cabin cost less than business class air! We're in the same position right now - doing a Viking Ocean soon (midnight sun) and we could again do QM2 to come back for less than business class air (with a balcony) not sure we want to extend the trip tho as we're already set to be gone for a month.

Is Erlangen the only place in/near Nuremburg for the river cruise ships to dock?

I do not know the answer to this - I just know where "we" docked .....

looking at area via google earth I don't see too many options as the places where there are piers on the canal tend to adjacent to heavy industry ... Erl was 'light industrial' but no tourist area by a long shot!

Is Erlangen the only place in/near Nuremburg for the river cruise ships to dock?

followon .....

as a sailor this raised some questions in my mind and did a little digging - via Google Earth ....

a Viking 'longship' is 443 ft or 135 meters long .. I believe this is the maximum length as constrained by the 'standard lock size' for the EU river system and therefore would apply to any river cruise vessel.

if you look at the 'Main Canal' in the vicinity of Nur' (and for much of its length) the width is ruffly 50 meters MEANING a river cruiser can't turn around. Periodically you see places where the canal bank has been significantly widened .... to 140 meters +/-. In the ship driving world we call this a turning basin. Here a Longship CAN turn around .... Most of these turning basins are next to pier areas adjacent to industrial complexes ... industries shipping via the canal need to turn those river boats around so they built a turning basin.

You probably want to end a river cruise in a place where you can turn around and go back the other way .... usually anyway .....

Unless a river cruise company wants to build their own pier and turning basin they need to lease pier space near a turning basin ...

I don't count many options in the greater Nurm' area . . .

I don't know about Viking, but our Avalon boat was docked in Nuremberg on the Main Danube canal. Quick taxi ride from the train station.

I’m not Captain BJ, but I wanted to post that in 2012 we cruised Viking Nuremberg to Budapest with air booked via Viking Air. We flew Houston to Frankfurt and then to Nuremberg. A number of other passengers arrived at the airport around the same time. We rode at least 20-30 minutes on the bus through rural countryside to the ship, which was docked in an industrial area on the Main-Danube canal. I can’t say now whether it was Erlangen or not. The next morning we repeated the bus ride round trip for the included tour of Nuremberg.

Anyway, I suspect most Viking Air folks ending their cruise in Nuremberg fly out of Nuremberg for connecting flights elsewhere. And to answer the OP’s question, the dock is nowhere near the train station or Old Town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just did the Viking Romantic Danube in March this year, from Budapest to Nuremberg. The ship docks at Europakai, which is south of the old town - not close enough to walk and limited public transportation. We stayed on the ship for the cruise through the Main-Danube canal in the morning but there was an option to get off the ship early and get bused in to town. The included city tour excursion was in the afternoon; the bus picked us up at the dock and took us back there after the tour and free time in the city. The next day was disembarkation, with some passengers flying out of Nuremberg and some out of Munich. We had planned our own post-cruise extension so we had Viking call a cab for us to take us into town where we had a hotel booked. I can't remember how much the cab cost, but it was probably around 20 Euro.

Does Viking run a bus from the dock into town all evening (we leave from Nur') or are you on your own.

I don't recall any sort of a regular shuttle .... 4 us, being the last nite and with MANY departing at zero dark hundred IMO most were on board for dinner that last night .... dining room was full and lounge activities went later than usual with new friends saying 'see ya next time'

A taxi was not outrageous ....

in summary what I think I see here:

there is no 'fixed' river cruise berth in or around Nuremberg ..... {compare this to my trip up the Danube where in many places a pier exists purely to support the stop of river boats; or Budapest which has a MILE of riverfront developed to support the river cruise industry}

river boats/ships are in the "Main Canal" and the nearest this is to the train station and 'Old City' is 2.5 miles this does not mean they park here or even STOP here .... just that the boat will never get nearer.

most places where a river cruise can stop (around Nuremberg) and on/off load are industrial facilities operating the pier for other purposes ... ability to 'rent' a pier is up to the industrial facility' needs .... if wanting to stay overnight even more so ... ability to turn around the boat is constrained

folks who booked air by the cruise lines may end up in any of multiple airports . . . :')

I don't recall any sort of a regular shuttle .... 4 us, being the last nite and with MANY departing at zero dark hundred IMO most were on board for dinner that last night .... dining room was full and lounge activities went later than usual with new friends saying 'see ya next time'

A taxi was not outrageous ....

We are going in the other direction. I wonder what those logistics are.