Which cruise gift would you love to receive this year?

CCShayne

Which cruise gift would you love to receive this year?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise gift would you love to receive this year?

• Great books to read at sea
    • Oodles of onboard credit
    • A great point and shoot camera
    • Prepaid cruise line shore excursions
    • Other, which I'll post below

Cruise Critic's 2010 Holiday Gift Guide is in the works, and we want to hear from you. As we've done for several years we're turning to Cruise Critic members to help us choose the Cruise Gift of the Year. Participate in our poll!

• Administrators

I choose the "Oodles" option, BUT a close runner up for me would be a Kindle. Can't think of a more useful item to have on a cruise, especially for those who really like to settle down, view the blue waves and relax with a book!

Laura

I choose the "Oodles" option, BUT a close runner up for me would be a Kindle. Can't think of a more useful item to have on a cruise, especially for those who really like to settle down, view the blue waves and relax with a book!

Laura

I'm with you LauraS, a Kindle would be at the top of my list! :)

Cruise Critic's 2010 Holiday Gift Guide is in the works, and we want to hear from you. As we've done for several years we're turning to Cruise Critic members to help us choose the Cruise Gift of the Year. Participate in our poll!

Pictures, Pictures & Pictures!

READ A BOOK? Seriously, WHO in their right mind would *book* a cruise, for the purpose of reading a book? You can save you thousands of dollars by reading a book a home ... in an airport ... just about anywhere ... so I just don't understand why people travel thousands of miles to get board a cruise ship ... then travel a few thousand more miles to a destination TO READ A BOOK!?

READ A BOOK? Seriously, WHO in their right mind would *book* a cruise, for the purpose of reading a book? You can save you thousands of dollars by reading a book a home ... in an airport ... just about anywhere ... so I just don't understand why people travel thousands of miles to get board a cruise ship ... then travel a few thousand more miles to a destination TO READ A BOOK!?

Wow...I was feeling so lacking in class! Glad to know I'm not alone. I think I took a book with me on my first cruise. Never cracked the spine! There is simply WAY too much to do at sea!!

I also said OBC, but free airfare or a cabin-mate cruises free deal would also be great!! Anything to make my favorite week of the year more affordable!!

I'd appreciate a pre-paid night or two of dining in a speciality dining restaurant, along with a great bottle of wine to enjoy with my meal.

My second choice would be my first-ever solo cruise - any number of days, to any destination, and on any of RCCL's ships!

Again, thanks for asking us...

Oodles for me too, since I could use it for excursions, drinks, dining, pics, spa, anything!

If there had been a "free cruise" choice, I would have selected that. DH actually has given me a cruise for two (me and a friend) twice for xmas. Yep, I know I'm spoiled.

Wow...I was feeling so lacking in class! Glad to know I'm not alone. I think I took a book with me on my first cruise. Never cracked the spine! There is simply WAY too much to do at sea!!

I also said OBC, but free airfare or a cabin-mate cruises free deal would also be great!! Anything to make my favorite week of the year more affordable!!

I can't believe either of you! These are probably two of the rudest & most ignorant statements I've ever seen on these boards!

My best cruise gift that l would like to receive is another cruise.

Cruising for me is the best ever holiday that l have ever experience in my whole life.

The up side:

Food glorious food, deck chairs galore, fun in the sun, a grand show to see every night, discovering new ports, meeting new people, sleeping in and having nanny naps when ever you want.

The down side:

Rough seas, sea sickness, noro virus, mechanical problems or the time passes too quickly and your cruise comes to an end before you know it.

weed1327:)

If this is for Bon Voyage, I would love a bottle of wine for the stateroom or flowers. Even a nice bottle of liquer (Kahlua or Bailey's) would be a great gift. Books are so personal that you wouldn't know what others like or have read.

If this is just a regular Christmas (insert your holiday here), that is a different story. I have always felt weird about getting or giving $$$ as a gift. A little guache, in my opinion from anyone but parent to child (adult children ok too). But if OBC would be presented in a nice card with a bottle of wine, it would be very nice to recieve. Not like saying "we put $$$ on your account." or "Here's some cash". :rolleyes:

For those who think reading on the ship is detracting to the enjoyment of their cruise: To each his own. I love to read about the area that I'm cruising. There is a lot of history and geography in fiction so if the characters are in the area you are cruising, you can learn alot! I always find it an enhancement of the cruise. You don't have to read to the exclusion of everything else, but on a sea day? Some of us prefer not to climb walls and ice skate while on a ship. That's why we prefer small ships. To R...E...L...A...X!:D

Well I have a Kindle so I think I'll take the oodles so I can eat in the Specialty Restaurant(s) every other night, book a tour in every port and share the rest with all the hard working people on the cruise ship who made my cruise special.

• 1 month later...

I'm too late to vote, but my favorite gift would be for the cruise lines to offer ordinary passengers (no requirement to be a member of the travel industry) a deeply discounted, last minute (less than a month out) suite or larger balcony stateroom in order to fill their empty cabins.

5 star cruise line or better.

• 3 weeks later...

Unlike phoenix1181 I dont think it is rude or ignorant not to want to read a book whilst at sea. I am an avid reader all the time at home and usually on land based holidays I take lots of books, this is where a kindle would come in handy, however when on a cruise I agree with those who posted they don't have the time to read. I find there is so much going on that I cannot really get into a good book, I love to look out to sea or people watch and so much prefer magazines on a cruise, something I can dip in and out of, so its not rude or ignorant, simply a matter of choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Too late to vote also but if I did it would be the OBC. More specifically, I would like to get my husbands cruise credit applied to my next cruise with Princess since it money I already paid to them a few years ago. But, they don't agree. :rolleyes:

Archived