death of an Allure crew member in Cozumel

MiniMom57

This is very sad. Going to be there the end of this month. My thoughts prior to this was to stay on the ship. Now, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I'll do.

We were there last week, went shopping right at the port and took a ship excursion which took us to a private beach. You can use caution by not going anywhere alone and staying in very public places, no need to stay on the ship.

This is very sad. Going to be there the end of this month. My thoughts prior to this was to stay on the ship. Now, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I'll do.

I would never skip a stop in Cozumel.

Just have to be more cautious, like I would be in any US city I visit.

No offense, but how do you know it was not another crew member who went ashore with her that killed her?

That means staying on board would have you in closer proximity to a murderer, than being in Cozumel....(if you were on the Allure of course)

Just a thought.

Bill

She was part of the Northern Lights duo, an incredibly gifted violinist who played with an equally gifted guitarist. We heard them for the first time on the Enchantment back in June, and were lucky to hear them play three times on the Allure the 23rd-30th of January. So sad to hear about this. We bought one of their CDs on the ship and were listening to it Saturday night with some friends...

Usually they don't go alone (to the beach) unless they are going to make a phone call near by. I usually see at least two leaving the ship and sometimes even more, especially if they are going to the beach. Don't know but looks like strange to me that a girl go to a remoted beach alone. From another post I read that she has been working on cruise ships for some time now, so I guess that she knew that going to a remote beach in Cozumel wasn't an option.

We were on this Allure sailing! The cruise director (Allan Brooks) mentioned on his morning show that an entertainer/crew was left behind in Cozumel and would have to catch the ship back in Fort Lauderdale. I mentioned at dinner that night how there was no music in the dining room, when there is usually a violinist or other musicians playing. Little did we know what had happened.....how sad.

That end of the island has rough surf and a lot of jagged rocks. It may turn out that she went in the water alone, was tossed against the rocks hitting her head, and then drowned. We've driven around the island several times and have seen the conditions at the south end.

I still wouldn't go alone to a secluded beach in any country. Cozumel is as safe as most any port.

Gina

That end of the island has rough surf and a lot of jagged rocks. It may turn out that she went in the water alone, was tossed against the rocks hitting her head, and then drowned. We've driven around the island several times and have seen the conditions at the south end.

I still wouldn't go alone to a secluded beach in any country. Cozumel is as safe as most any port.

Gina

Where did this take place? Anywhere close to Nachi Cocom? We will be there next month.

Tonyo - Thanks for posting the link to USA Today re this sad story. BTW, your Avatar looks like that of the Santa Clara Vanguard. Did you march with them? I marched with the Freelancers ('82-83) and Blue Knights ('81).

We've been to Cozumel many many times and were just there in December. We usually make our own reservations for Nachi Cocum or Playa Uvas online and then just jump in a taxi from the port. I wouldn't walk around alone but I don't think I'd do that in a large unfamiliar US city anymore. I've never felt uncomfortable. Now............Montego Bay-that's another story.

Where did this take place? Anywhere close to Nachi Cocom? We will be there next month.

You'll be taking a cab from the port to Nachi Cocum, and they will call for one to return you to the port.

It is a beautiful beach, not secluded or off the beaten path. I would go there without any hesitation.

Enjoy your day there. I'm jealous!

I heard a rumor this morning from a friend that is on a Carnival ship (Ecstasy) that is headed for Cozumel today that an RCCL crewmember was "murdered" in Coz yesterday. Apparently, they all got a letter telling them and that Carnival was monitoring the situation. Anyone hear anything?

If they got a letter, I would assume that means an incident happened on Coz itself. His post is not on CC but on a Carnival board (funville). I just wonder if anyone heard anything.

I heard a rumor this morning from a friend that is on a Carnival ship (Ecstasy) that is headed for Cozumel today that an RCCL crewmember was "murdered" in Coz yesterday. Apparently, they all got a letter telling them and that Carnival was monitoring the situation. Anyone hear anything?

If they got a letter, I would assume that means an incident happened on Coz itself. His post is not on CC but on a Carnival board (funville). I just wonder if anyone heard anything.

Not a rumor, looks to be fact: http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/07/cruise-crew-member-found-dead-in-cozumel/

Tonyo - Thanks for posting the link to USA Today re this sad story. BTW, your Avatar looks like that of the Santa Clara Vanguard. Did you march with them? I marched with the Freelancers ('82-83) and Blue Knights ('81).

Yes it's the Vanguard avatar. They have always been my favorite since I first saw them in the 70's. I marched back in the 70's with a local corps from Baltimore.

I know this has been said before but you can go anywhere and run into bad people. I live in a small town 25 minutes from downtown Columbus Oh. and yet everynight on the news someone is murdered or shot. It makes me nervous that it happened in Cozumel. But I refuse to live my life in fear , but I will probably use better judgment than in previous years.

Archived