Bringing Soda on a Carnival Cruise

RoccoPacco

We're headed out on Sunday on the Carnival Conquest - cant wait! Can someone please clarify if we are allowed to bring our own canned soda on the ship? I'd like to bring a 12-pack of A&W Root Beer. I thought I had recalled on past Carnival Cruises seeing people carrying on soda, but we never have done this before. Do you recommend checked luggage or carry-on?

Thanks in advance!

We're headed out on Sunday on the Carnival Conquest - cant wait! Can someone please clarify if we are allowed to bring our own canned soda on the ship? I'd like to bring a 12-pack of A&W Root Beer. I thought I had recalled on past Carnival Cruises seeing people carrying on soda, but we never have done this before. Do you recommend checked luggage or carry-on?

Thanks in advance!

You definately have to carry it on.........

From the Carnival Website:

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

Hope this info. helps, and best wishes for safe travels!

~ Rachel :)

Thanks in advance!

You certainly CAN bring on additional non-alcoholic beverages in each port if you're running low or don't want to drag on a ton of soda on embarkation day. I've not only done it, but I've asked the question of my PVP and while on board and was told it is allowed.

Edited by rudechuck

You certainly CAN bring on additional non-alcoholic beverages in each port if you're running low or don't want to drag on a ton of soda on embarkation day. I've not only done it, but I've asked the question of my PVP and while on board and was told it is allowed.

This is from Carnivals FAQ:

"On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less."

If you brought it on at every port you would be able to go around the maximum bottles & cans restrictions.

Like I said you arent supposed to, but they sometimes look the other way.

We all know that PVPs dont always give out the correct info. Call Carnival and ask 3 different people and you will get 3 different answers.

Please understand, despite my screen name, I'm not trying to be rude ;), but you are misinterpreting the restriction. You are allowed to bring on 12 bottles/cans on embarkation day (not the entire cruise, just that day). The reason is to keep passengers from trying to carry on cases upon cases of soda/water and holding up the line.

From those same FAQ's you quoted:

Ports-of-Call:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Non-alcoholic beverages are not mentioned at all.

Aside from asking my PVP before my cruise, I also asked a Carnival employee as we debarked in port if non-alcoholic beverages were allowed when we returned from port and was told , yes as long as it didn't exceed 12 bottles/cans, 20 oz. or less. I did not hide it and it was allowed on.

They keep it vague for a reason. If it was common knowledge, who would ever buy the soda card?

P.S. No, I did not bring on a 12 pack in port. I only brought 6 and it was plenty for the rest of my cruise as I don't drink a lot of soda.

Edited by rudechuck

Please understand, despite my screen name, I'm not trying to be rude ;), but you are misinterpreting the restriction. You are allowed to bring on 12 bottles/cans on embarkation day (not the entire cruise, just that day). The reason is to keep passengers from trying to carry on cases upon cases of soda/water and holding up the line.

From those same FAQ's you quoted:

Non-alcoholic beverages are not mentioned at all.

Aside from asking my PVP before my cruise, I also asked a Carnival employee as we debarked in port if non-alcoholic beverages were allowed when we returned from port and was told , yes as long as it didn't exceed 12 bottles/cans, 20 oz. or less. I did not hide it and it was allowed on.

They keep it vague for a reason. If it was common knowledge, who would ever buy the soda card?

P.S. No, I did not bring on a 12 pack in port. I only brought 6 and it was plenty for the rest of my cruise as I don't drink a lot of soda.

Interesting. i guess I never thought it all the way through but you make sense. Thanks. Learn something new everyday i guess

Thanks in advance!

Because it is suppose to be carried on, we always like to have a carry on with wheels

just so much easier to carry it on that way.

If you like root beer floats, don't forget you can run up to the soft serve machine.

We do that for at least one meal.

People wonder where did we order that float.

And not to say I smuggled,

but I did buy a small bottle of spiced rum in port.

I didn't think much about it till later when I pulled it out of my bag.

Try a Spiced Rum Root beer Float...Yummy Old time root beer barrel flavor to it...

Edited by Koval

• 3 weeks later...
From the Carnival Website:

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

Hope this info. helps, and best wishes for safe travels!

~ Rachel :)

And by "each guest" I am assuming that means both me and my bf may bring a 12-pack of soda (in different carry-ons obviously)?

And by "each guest" I am assuming that means both me and my bf may bring a 12-pack of soda (in different carry-ons obviously)?

You are correct. And you can replenish your supply at any port with no questions asked. I've done it before and never had a problem. The only downfall is that soda purchased on the different islands won't taste exactly the same as what you are use to because of the water they use to process it. It's still good, just tastes a little different.

You definately have to carry it on.........

We checked ours last year and had no problems. They opened up the suitcase (we know this because they put a note in it saying it was inspected). I guess it probably looked like a suitcase of beer. They saw it was a case of Dr. Pepper, put a note in it saying why it had been opened, closed it back up and delivered to our stateroom. Sure beat having to carry it on.

I was actually told by a Carnival rep to pack it in my suitcase & have done it the past 2 cruises and no issues. They inspected 1 of the cuitcases last time & didn't take it- I didn't realize the official policy was to carry on! I wish they would train their own employees on the rules LOL

We always bring soda on board and leave it with the porter in a soft sided cooler. Never had any sort of issue but I do always give the guy a couple bucks extra to make sure it ends up in my cabin. I've even been known to empty out a 12 pack of coke and fill it with beer and reseal it:D

And you can replenish your supply at any port with no questions asked. I've done it before and never had a problem.

That was my next question b/c when I did a search for "soda" on this board, I was getting different reports. Some said yes, to being to restock in ports and some said no.

• 5 years later...

Silly question, does the 12 pack we get to bring in each have to all be the same thing? Example, can I bring 6 red bulls and 6 juices?

Also, my husband and I are sharing a carry on, can we both put our 12 packs into the one bag?

Thanks! First time: nine more days to go!:D

Silly question, does the 12 pack we get to bring in each have to all be the same thing? Example, can I bring 6 red bulls and 6 juices?

Also, my husband and I are sharing a carry on, can we both put our 12 packs into the one bag?

Thanks! First time: nine more days to go!:D

First of all, you resurrected a 5 1/2 year old thread. OK, no you can mix and match anything that you would like and between the two of you, you have 24 12 oz cans or cartons to bring what you would like of a non alcoholic nature. You can put them in 1 bag if you wish and that bag needs to be carried or wheeled on, not checked. You can also bring an additional 12 pack per person back on board from any port that you visit. Enjoy your cruise.