African Cruise and Safari

annminois

HI all cruisers!

I am seeking your picks for a 2019 cruise with a safari stay as either part of the cruise or an add-on. Looking for roughly 14 day trip but would consider a bit longer. Focusing mostly on Southern Africa but open to all options.

Thanks very much for any info.

Regent 7 Seas sail out of Cape Town, MSC offer a number of sailings out of Durban, or you can book a sector of a world cruise with the likes of Holland-America or Cunard. Probably others too.

But Cape Town is in the western cape, and the best safari territory (in & adjacent Kruger Nat Park) is on South Africa's eastern border, about 2 hours by air. Even Durban is over 400 miles by road.

There are safari options closer to Cape Town & Durban but they'll be very second-rate compared to Kruger.

I rate add-ons arranged by cruise lines (cruise + flights, cruise + land tour, cruise + hotel, cruise + safari etc) as inflexible and poor value, so best arranged independently.

But even though South Africa is about an 11 hour flight from my home, I wouldn't even reckon to combine a cruise & a safari into one vacation - especially with only about 14 days in total.

South Africa has so much more to offer than just safaris - you could build a two-centre vacation with stays in Cape Town & Kruger, and frequent & cheap flights between. Or better still if you had the time, a road-trip between - as we did.

You need a bare minimum 3 day safari, either

- on a private game reserve. Normally arranged with arrival & departure around lunchtime, so an afternoon game drive on arrival day & a morning game drive on departure day. So 3 days & nights is actually 1/2 day + full day + full day + 1/2 day. Be aware - they're a great experience but seriously damaging to the pocket. Prices are full-board & include the game drives, some include drinks, and standards are high - surprisingly high given the remoteness

- or self-guided with a rented car & staying in a bungalow in a rest camp inside the National Park. Much much more economical & great fun.

Cape Town is worth a minimum 3 days.

Or folk tell me safaris are better in places like Kenya & Tanzania.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

If you do your research you will find that Tanzania and Kenya indeed are rated higher for safaris. And you generally want more than five days. We will be nine nights on safari in Tanzania with nights at either end to arrive a depart.

I would suggest Phinda Private Game Reserve in South Africa. Conservation only, no hunting. It was spectacular at every level. I work in radio media that reports on much international issues. A Phinda rep arranged a driver and translator for me to visit a local school and a Zulu settlement - that was fabulous. Pricey, but worth evey penny.