Very back Balcony on the Triumph

R Prim

We have always wanted to book an aft extended balcony and right now there are several available at a very good price on deck 7 (rooms 7424-7431). Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms and what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Yes, not on the Triumph but on the Conquest. Absolutely loved it! There was room for the two regular chairs, small table, and a lounger. Loved, loved, loved relaxing on that lounger and watching the wake from the ship and reading my book. We cruised out of New Orleans that time, and it was wonderful being able to see side-to-side while on the river for several hours to get out to sea. And when pulling into port, and leaving, it was nice to be able to see so much more too.

Our cruise was in January, so it never felt too hot back there. I've heard some complain that it gets so hot, but maybe that's in the summer. And some complain about soot, but we never had that problem.

I would take an aft balcony again in a heartbeat!

Also, there is a thread on here about aft balcony staterooms, I think it's called "Show Me Your Aft" and has lots of comments, and photos too of aft balconies.

Edited by Yvonne

We've had an aft balcony on the Triumph twice and never again. The first was a March sailing from Galveston and it was a little warm.

The second was in September and it was an oven. I carry a fan aboard for every cruise and when we boarded our cabin attendant had already had a larger fan in the room. It didn't cool off until the second night.

The angled frame of the divider gets so hot it feels like it will burn you.

We loved the Triumph, took over ten cruises on her and just found no substitute for a lido deck balcony cabin up closer to the front.

Edited by BallFour4

We stayed in one of those balconies when the Sunshine was still the Destiny. It was way too warm back there - too warm to sit out. Nice in the evening though. In the morning on most days, there were times we couldn't go out there because they were hosing the decks. But this was about 15 yrs. ago.

The whole concept of staying there was very nice but the reality was not because it was not a covered balcony. Also, there was no privacy if that's what you would be looking for. It was nice seeing and talking to our neighbors though:)

stayed on deck 7 on the triumph aft several times. We only book the aft extended and actually fell in love with those room on the Triumph.

But I will say that between noon and 4, it's almost too hot to stand it out there. I'll go out for 10 minutes and that's about all I can handle. Some people are not affected as much by heat so it's kind of subjective. I can't sit in the sun by the pool in the afternoon either, so again, take it for what it's worth. But there really is very little breeze compared to side cabins.

I also like the convenience, 2 flights up for breakfast and just a few flights down for dinner or the wine bar (or is it Alchemy on Triumph now?).

The only complaint I have with aft cabins is that there are times when you get black soot on the deck and chairs. Nothing to do with age or class of the ship, have had it on all of them. So be careful about hanging things out to dry, sitting in one of the chairs in light color clothes without a towel or walking barefoot.

We just got off the Liberty last Saturday. We had an aft. It was hot. Too hot to sit out sometimes. We rigged a fan with an extension cord to put out there. It made it more enjoyable. We loved it even though it was hot. It was nice to have a quiet place to lay out without fighting for chairs on the other decks. And the view was great.

4fea75bf-7465-483a-aea8-6446dc13bd45_zpsxnhi8ttz.jpg

We recently returned from the Glory where we had an aft cabin, 7442. While the vista was great the heat was not. You can not be out during the day time. There is no breeze and hardly any shade. Even though we kept the curtains pulled tight during the day the sun still heated the cabin. There is not a lot of privacy, you can be seen from above and from the side. Someone from above kept throwing cigarette butts down on our balcony. Never caught them so we don't know for sure what deck they were coming from. We will choose a balcony on the side next time, there is usually a breeze.

stayed on deck 7 on the triumph aft several times. We only book the aft extended and actually fell in love with those room on the Triumph.

But I will say that between noon and 4, it's almost too hot to stand it out there. I'll go out for 10 minutes and that's about all I can handle. Some people are not affected as much by heat so it's kind of subjective. I can't sit in the sun by the pool in the afternoon either, so again, take it for what it's worth. But there really is very little breeze compared to side cabins.

I also like the convenience, 2 flights up for breakfast and just a few flights down for dinner or the wine bar (or is it Alchemy on Triumph now?).

The only complaint I have with aft cabins is that there are times when you get black soot on the deck and chairs. Nothing to do with age or class of the ship, have had it on all of them. So be careful about hanging things out to dry, sitting in one of the chairs in light color clothes without a towel or walking barefoot.

I will 2nd this post 100%.

Why did y'all wait until we were all booked in a Triumph extended aft to bring up heat, ciggy butts, ashes and lack of privacy?

:)

All I found before we booked was how wonderous it was to have an extended aft...

I forgot about the cig butts, also the random drink napkin, drink umbrella, fun times, soduko puzzles, hats, polaroid pictures (have one I use as a bookmark) and any number of other random things that easily fly off the lido deck...

But that's not to paint a picture that the aft extended balconies are the garbage collection bins of the lido deck, just don't be surprised to wakeup and see a pair of sunglasses or a hat on the balcony. I kind of wonder if any jealous spouses have ever launched into some tirade over that before...

Ext afts 7427 and 7424, next to the wraps do not have a sofa or coffee table, making them smaller than the other ext afts on Deck 7. Go to Carnival Triumph, Deck Plans, deck 7 and click on these cabins. The details so not include sofa or coffee table, so they are considerably smaller cabins. The balcony is still a larger balcony. My Dh and I got stuck in one on the Breeze and were very disappointed in the cabin size, as we always book ext afts. Sometimes even the PVP's don't know about this, so do your own homework. I don't know if this occurs on other decks, so investigate the cabin details. I didn't like the Breeze cabin at all and no PVP told me it was smaller. Be aware when booking.

I forgot about the cig butts, also the random drink napkin, drink umbrella, fun times, soduko puzzles, hats, polaroid pictures (have one I use as a bookmark) and any number of other random things that easily fly off the lido deck...

But that's not to paint a picture that the aft extended balconies are the garbage collection bins of the lido deck, just don't be surprised to wakeup and see a pair of sunglasses or a hat on the balcony. I kind of wonder if any jealous spouses have ever launched into some tirade over that before...

I could use a new pair of sunglasses.

Excited now:)

We have always wanted to book an aft extended balcony and right now there are several available at a very good price on deck 7 (rooms 7424-7431). Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms and what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Read my post on this.

Thank you all so much for your input! I knew I could count on my Cruisecritic pals to give me the good, the bad, and the ugly. Now I can make an informed decision. Let's see if my daughter does the same. I'll let you know (sailed over 50 times and never had a bad cruise). Happy sailing!

I always book the aft extended balconies and I don't have an issue with them. Yes, it can be warm depending on when you go. It was hot in September, but nice in December. I have 2 more aft extended balconies booked because I love them so much. Plus, what someone might consider hot, might be nice for you.

I am in an aft balcony on the Triumph right now. Room 7430. We really like the room. It isn't hot, but it is only April. I imagine it will get hot later. The best part is the sound on the balcony. That and the view make it wonderful.

Let me know if you have a specific questions. I'll try to answer them if I have time.

There are L shaped rooms in the back that have a bowling alley balcony. They are a regular balcony room, but the balcony is more than twice as long as a regular balcony. These rooms are definitely cooler....and cheaper. I haven't stayed in either, but that's what I got from all the research I did.

There are L shaped rooms in the back that have a bowling alley balcony. They are a regular balcony room, but the balcony is more than twice as long as a regular balcony. These rooms are definitely cooler....and cheaper. I haven't stayed in either, but that's what I got from all the research I did.

I've stayed in both. L shaped on the Destiny, aft on the Triumph. I preferred the aft. BUT, it was cold on our cruise and I welcomed the sun on the balcony. We also had traveling companions in the 2 cabins to our right so privacy wasn't an issue. One of them, however, woke up to vomit on their balcony one morning, thanks to some moron who decided to lean over the Lido rail without concern to those under him/her. There is some privacy, just not when you are standing at the rail. The L shaped wasn't bad, but I didn't care for the layout as much. The extra window and balcony space was great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but I liked the aft better. I've always loved looking out over the wake. I wouldn't pay extra for the aft in the summer because of the heat, but any other time of year, it would be a nice splurge.

• 3 weeks later...

So, we stayed in Triumph 8435.

The balcony is great.

We got the steward to bring a second lounge chair and there was still room for another chair or even two...

The room temperature was cool although we made sure to close the draped when we would leave the drapes closed.

On the less wonderful side, some people are nasty.

The first day I found a used bandaid on the balcony.

The next morning it was a toenail.

DH asked(and tipped) the steward to clean the balcony and it looked really nice.

Then we came back after the comedy show and someone had thrown what must have been a big ice cream cone onto the balcony.

Ice cream was everywhere. Melted over the floor, splashed and splattered over the glass and chairs.

We had to call and get someone to come and clean.

The next night I was ill and slept for a while on the balcony and woke to find a glob of cigarette ashes near me. At least they did not hit the poor old sick lady with a lit ciggy.

And finally a cigarette butt was our gift of the day.

I was really looking forward to sunglasses and photographs.

We've done the aft wrap balcony on deck 7 of the Triumph twice. It was my favorite cabin. Having the wrap around allowed us to get some shade during the day. It is quite hot out there. But we loved that cabin. It's a different layout from a regular balcony room and feels more spacious.

The room temperature was cool although we made sure to close the draped when we would leave the drapes closed.

Wow, good work that...

When we left the cabin I made sure the drapes were closed and the cabin stayed cool.

• 1 month later...

We have the Aft extended room 7428 on aug 6th sailing. I know it will be hot out there during the day, I just hope the room stays cool. We have a deck above us so hopefully that will help with some of the trash falling from top deck.