Lets talk water

Since I work for a company that sells water products I can guarantee you that what the Chief has posted are facts.

People dismiss the facts because the are not in an authoratative document from RCI, as if the people in Miami have any idea how water is served on the ships.

Most bottled water is tap water. Which means there is sodium in it. Drinking bottled water you are likely to get the same sodium or more sodium than drinking tap water on the ship. There is almost zero chance of the opposite.

That said, I don't care if you drink bottled water, enjoy and keep buying bottled water it helps keep your grocery store and the ships profitable.

JC

One last time, I am not dismissing anything. I asked cb, "can you post a link to that information" when she posted, "There is no more "sodium" in the ship's water than there is in bottled water". Nothing more, nothing less.

One last time, I am not dismissing anything. I asked cb, "can you post a link to that information" when she posted, "There is no more "sodium" in the ship's water than there is in bottled water". Nothing more, nothing less.

CB never replies.

JC

Water tanks are filled during turnaround day, from the land. They are than filtered etc since they are in holding tanks. When the supply runs out, they will process more water with the on board plant. So the argument goes about salt in water, but all water contains different elements that are filtered out. Most salt on the ships are the salt in the foods you eat.

But this can be argued all day and all night.

Arguing it is irritating.

What I know is that when I cruise and drink the ship’s water I swell MORE than when I drink the spring water.

That’s all I need to know.

Maybe the difference is an utter LACK of minerals in the water. I mean, we aren’t really supposed to drink distilled water.

All I know is what I know with my body.

Most bottled water is tap water. Which means there is sodium in it. Drinking bottled water you are likely to get the same sodium or more sodium than drinking tap water on the ship. There is almost zero chance of the opposite.

That said, I don't care if you drink bottled water, enjoy and keep buying bottled water it helps keep your grocery store and the ships profitable.

JC

It’s useless to talk about most bottled water, when the ship has spring, NOT TAP, water for purchase. They don’t sell Dasani or Aquafina. They sell Evian in the water packages and Poland springs etc in beverage packages.

Disney Cruise has now gone to Dasani. I won’t be buying water packages from them, because I know what Dasani is. I’ll be bringing on zephyr hills or Evian if I cruise dcl again.

Brita bottle filters do not do what you've suggested they do:

https://www.brita.com/why-brita/what-we-filter/

Agreed.

Even bottled water from any brand does not have raw test data available for the public to see, as far as I know. The best you can probably get is the information from the label on the bottle, indicating typical sodium content in parts per million, not test results for that specific bottle.

Of course you can’t get it for each bottle. But you can get more info than the label.

https://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/Documents/PS_ENG.pdf#page17

2016 Poland springs water quality report. They all publish them.

(taken from RCL's Corp Pages)

WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP WATER CLEAN AND USAGE LEAN ON CRUISE SHIPS

STAFF WRITER | APRIL 15, 2016

PotableWater-980x494.jpgReferring to a modern cruise ship as a “floating city” is no simple analogy. Not only does it provide accommodation, recreation, relaxation and transportation, it also literally has to support life in the most basic sense.

On the open saltwater seas, as Coleridge famously noted, while water is everywhere, there is not a drop to drink – unless potable water is collected in port or “made” using reliably tested methods.

Nick Rose, environmental regulatory lead, environmental stewardship, for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., says the company’s fleet provides clean, safe, drinkable water in three ways.

“One is through bunkering it,” Rose says, using the maritime term for loading water in port and storing it on board. “We follow strict WHO (World Health Organization) as well as U.S. Public Health standards, so water is taken from a reputable drinking source.”

While it’s collected, the water is tested for microbials and other pollutants, then treated and chlorinated for any potential organisms or pathogens that may have eluded onshore treatment.

The second method, used for years and for which all RCL ships are equipped, goes by any of three names – steam evaporation, flash evaporation or steam desalination. One clever “green” aspect of this method is its use of waste heat from the ship’s engines.

“We bring on seawater and boil it using the waste steam and heat from our engines to remove the salt from the water,” Rose explains. “The water from the evaporator travels down to a condenser where the steam then condenses back into what at that time would be distilled purified water.”

As anyone who’s ever tasted it knows, distilled water has no familiar water flavor. So next, minerals are added, “so that it has the normal taste that most people like,” Rose continues.

“After it goes to the mineralizer we send it for chlorination, just again to make sure that you have nothing growing in it.”

The third, most technologically advanced method of creating potable water is through reverse osmosis using equipment now on most RCL ships.

“You bring on seawater, but instead of using heat or high amounts of energy, you actually use a little bit of energy to push the saltwater through a semi-permeable membrane,” Rose says. “The only thing that makes it through the membrane is pure, clean water.”

All the salt and other possible contaminants remain blocked on the intake side of the membrane, while the water that passes through is mineralized for flavor and chlorinated for added safety.

Taking all onboard freshwater usage into account, RCL reports that on average its guests consume 55 gallons per day, compared to the U.S. average of as much as 100 gallons.

Contributing to the difference, Rose says, is the shipboard use of low-flow showerheads and washbasin faucet aerators in guest and crew cabins; highly efficient ice makers, dishwashers and laundry equipment; re-use of condensed water from air-conditioners to supplement laundry needs, and other above-and-beyond-compliance conservation efforts.

What I know is that when I cruise and drink the ship’s water I swell MORE than when I drink the spring water.

That’s all I need to know.

Maybe the difference is an utter LACK of minerals in the water. I mean, we aren’t really supposed to drink distilled water.

All I know is what I know with my body.

It’s useless to talk about most bottled water, when the ship has spring, NOT TAP, water for purchase. They don’t sell Dasani or Aquafina. They sell Evian in the water packages and Poland springs etc in beverage packages.

Disney Cruise has now gone to Dasani. I won’t be buying water packages from them, because I know what Dasani is. I’ll be bringing on zephyr hills or Evian if I cruise dcl again.

Agreed.

Of course you can’t get it for each bottle. But you can get more info than the label.

It does look like the two you mentioned have lower sodium levels. However, most bottled water doesn't. I would still bet on my RCI ships the amount of sodium from the tap is similar since they are mostly distilled to zero sodium.

JC

What I know is that when I cruise and drink the ship’s water I swell MORE than when I drink the spring water. That’s all I need to know.

What I "love" about these boards is all the EXPERTS we have here. There are always so many variables, and who truly knows why things happen. Only you know how the ships water reacts with your body. DD is the same way. She always bloated horribly when on cruises, but when she stopped drinking the water served at dinner/windjammer/etc... and only drank bottled water, the bloating stopped. Whether that's because of salt, or some other mystery ingredient, we don't really care. We just know, when she's on a ship, she only drinks bottled water.

What I "love" about these boards is all the EXPERTS we have here. There are always so many variables, and who truly knows why things happen. Only you know how the ships water reacts with your body. DD is the same way. She always bloated horribly when on cruises, but when she stopped drinking the water served at dinner/windjammer/etc... and only drank bottled water, the bloating stopped. Whether that's because of salt, or some other mystery ingredient, we don't really care. We just know, when she's on a ship, she only drinks bottled water.

Same situation with my wife.

Point taken, but my understanding of this particular discussion up until recently was only about the sodium levels in ship’s water. Not about its effect on causing swelling, or lack thereof. Anyway, I can’t help but think that sometimes, people are just trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Point taken, but my understanding of this particular discussion up until recently was only about the sodium levels in ship’s water. Not about its effect on causing swelling, or lack thereof. Anyway, I can’t help but think that sometimes, people are just trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey, at least you admit it, many won't.

I was just looking to see if I could actually get a response from a seagull poster, didn't happen. It is just likes JC's unicorn.

I don't believe I've ever claimed that the water onboard ship has less sodium than bottled water (if someone can prove me wrong on this, please do, I don't recall saying it), but I've said the water is just as good or better than most municipal systems. I live in Maine, and my wife drinks Poland Spring, but only the sparkling water. The report says their testing showed 1.8-10 mg/ltr (or ppm, same thing). Water produced on the ship by flash evaporation typically has 1ppm sodium, and dumps the product (diverts the condensed water to the sea at the evaporator) at 10ppm. Reverse osmosis units produce water at about 10ppm, and dump the product at 20ppm (20ppm is the recommended limit for those needing a reduced sodium diet). So, these numbers compare quite well with spring water. And the bottled tap water is run through a reverse osmosis filter, so it will provide the same quality as the water produced by reverse osmosis on the ship. In fact, most water softener companies recommend using a reverse osmosis filter after the softener to remove the sodium added in the recharging of the softener (all those salt pellets), for people on restricted sodium diets. So I know that RO will reduce sodium content. As I've said in other threads, and I don't feel like looking it up so I will do this from memory, but Miami municipal water is in the 30-50ppm range, and NYC water is in the 30-70ppm range. Since water onboard comes from these three sources, the actual sodium content will be variable depending on the ratios of water source, and the time in the cruise, as this also affects the ratio of water source.

The only thing I contest is that ship's water has higher sodium content than municipal water.

And, as a note, neither the EPA nor WHO have a maximum recommended sodium content for drinking water. Both specify 20ppm and below for people requiring reduced sodium diets. In the US, 5% of municipal water was found to have an excess of 250ppm. 60-80ppm is regarded as the threshold for unpleasant taste in "taste sensitive people" (their words, not mine).

Edited by chengkp75

If I were to pre-order the 12-bottle package on the cruise planner, and decided it wasn’t enough when I was halfway through the cruise (we’re on a 13-night cruise), would I be able to order another 12-bottle package while on the ship? We’ll be on Brilliance.

If I were to pre-order the 12-bottle package on the cruise planner, and decided it wasn’t enough when I was halfway through the cruise (we’re on a 13-night cruise), would I be able to order another 12-bottle package while on the ship? We’ll be on Brilliance.

Yes, no problem.

You could also bring a Brita water bottle which will filter out all salts/minerals that may possibly be in the ship's water which I have no issue with. Much more convenient than hauling around a heavy case of bottled water and way better for the environment. Actually, I've been avoiding bottled water of late due to reports of chemicals lfrom the plastic eaching into the water, especially if left out in the heat.

So I've been meaning to buy one of these filtered bottles, for my use at work and around town, not just for cruising. But when I've researched it online, it's unclear where to buy replacement filters. For example, Bed Bath & Beyond sells these bottles, but no replacement filters. Odd. In fact, one of the reviews for the product on that site mentions that problem.

So I've been meaning to buy one of these filtered bottles, for my use at work and around town, not just for cruising. But when I've researched it online, it's unclear where to buy replacement filters. For example, Bed Bath & Beyond sells these bottles, but no replacement filters. Odd. In fact, one of the reviews for the product on that site mentions that problem.

A quick google shows these are available at Target, Walmart, and Amazon, at a minimum.

We use the big ones on our home faucets and get them at BJ's. I'm perfectly fine with the ship water so don't bother - can't stand the taste of our local water so all drinking/cooking water goes through the filter. Have you tried Walmart?