Hockey on TV

mike_yung

• 2 months later...
Never saw hockey on Princess. Soccer, baseball, basketball, and cricket

You actually got these sports on a Princess ship??? How lucky. On board my first Princess cruise, the Star Princess, which was filled with octogenerians, wheelchairs, walkers and canes, they showed NOTHING BUT SNOWBOARDING 24/7, for the length of the cruise. No football. No soccer. No baseball. Not even auto racing. No nothing except for snowboarding, as though the person running the TV shows were addicted to snowboarding and only had the one tape, playing it over and over. This was in September, 2015, Vancouver to Hawaii RT.

Does anyone think that this was an appropriate choice? I am concerned about what may show up on our tv on the Island Princess this year. Can anyone encourage me about what I may find on the cabin TV?

You actually got these sports on a Princess ship??? How lucky. On board my first Princess cruise, the Star Princess, which was filled with octogenerians, wheelchairs, walkers and canes, they showed NOTHING BUT SNOWBOARDING 24/7, for the length of the cruise. No football. No soccer. No baseball. Not even auto racing. No nothing except for snowboarding, as though the person running the TV shows were addicted to snowboarding and only had the one tape, playing it over and over. This was in September, 2015, Vancouver to Hawaii RT.

Does anyone think that this was an appropriate choice? I am concerned about what may show up on our tv on the Island Princess this year. Can anyone encourage me about what I may find on the cabin TV?

Not much. It's a cruise.

Bwahahahahahahaaaaaa..... This reminds me of the DJs who will look around Wheelhouse, see it filled with people who are 60 - 80 years old, and then play crap music that their grandchildren might like. Mind boggling. Figure it out. Old people don't want to hear that stuff. I know it's not just us as we have spoken with many others who had the same reaction.

What sports channels do Princess have for their Caribbean cruises? Sure hope it's Fox &/or NBC. Cruised Disney & all they had was hockeyless ESPN.

"Getting away from it all doesn't mean being out of touch. Every stateroom on Princess ships has its own TV set featuring our multi-channel Princess Overseas Television programming.*

We offer live satellite reception of MSNBC, CNBC, Fox News and BBC World. In some instances and based on sailing itineraries we offer Sky News and Sky Sports News in lieu of MSNBC and Fox News. Along with a movie channel featuring a wide selection of first-run movies, we also provide the latest sitcoms and dramas, an onboard version of the Discovery Channel, and a wide selection of special programming, including the Academy Awards®. Plus, for sports fans, we offer several major sporting events such as the Super Bowl® , BCS college bowl games, NBA Finals and the NCAA basketball tournament. Closed captioning is available on most Princess ships; please check with the Guest Services Desk for information.

All televisions in cabins onboard Princess ships^ are equipped with the open captioning feature. All movies are open captioned. However, callers should be advised that this feature does not work with most programs shown from an international (versus U.S.) satellite (ie: CNN, etc.). When the television receives a U.S. feed, the open captioning feature will work. Most onboard theaters are equipped with assistive listening devices."

What sports channels do Princess have for their Caribbean cruises? Sure hope it's Fox &/or NBC. Cruised Disney & all they had was hockeyless ESPN.

We just got off the Star on Saturday and and it was ESPN - no hockey. Not even during highlight shows for the most part. Pretty much all NBA playoffs all the time.

This cruise sailed round-trip out of Vancouver and had a higher than usual share of Canadians on board so you could hear snatches of conversations all over with passengers trying to find out scores from people that they thought may have internet packages. :D

On the Majestic they had something called the Sports24 channel, which appears to be based in England, but did show the occasional American sporting event, including a couple of NHL playoff games. Since it was cruising the Mediterranean, that meant watching Ducks-Flames at 7 in the morning, but it was still hockey !!!

Let's face it. If you had to list sports on the basis of TV ratings, hockey would be 5th at best and hockey is even lower in towns where they do not have a team. The top four would be football - world, football - US, basketball and baseball. Based on that ranking, I would not expect to see hockey. Now if there was a Canadian based cruised line, the odds of getting hockey would be much better.

DON

I think that you are overplaying the idea of "selection" and "choice". It's not as if there is a "Director of Sports Media" on board who "chooses" what live sports to air. The ship receives a very finite number of channels and what they air is what they air. No one is flipping switches and deciding to air poker and snowboarding to the exclusion of American football or ManU vs. Arsenal. If the station that is carried by the ship satellite system is showing darts, you get darts. It's not like home where you have 35 different sports channels to choose from. What you were probably seeing was a pre-recorded video of snowboarding, as there aren't any competitions worth caring about in September. Depending on where you were sailing at the time, I suspect that both American football and UEFA matches were shown live at some point. There was no shortage of American football on my November cruise. And in October, there was no shortage of baseball. Hockey??? Uh....no. But then again, the season was just starting. For many people, there is "hockey" and then there is "playoff hockey", and only one is worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that you are overplaying the idea of "selection" and "choice". It's not as if there is a "Director of Sports Media" on board who "chooses" what live sports to air. The ship receives a very finite number of channels and what they air is what they air. No one is flipping switches and deciding to air poker and snowboarding to the exclusion of American football or ManU vs. Arsenal. If the station that is carried by the ship satellite system is showing darts, you get darts. It's not like home where you have 35 different sports channels to choose from. What you were probably seeing was a pre-recorded video of snowboarding, as there aren't any competitions worth caring about in September. Depending on where you were sailing at the time, I suspect that both American football and UEFA matches were shown live at some point. There was no shortage of American football on my November cruise. And in October, there was no shortage of baseball. Hockey??? Uh....no. But then again, the season was just starting. For many people, there is "hockey" and then there is "playoff hockey", and only one is worth watching.

Yes, it was a prerecorded video of what I think was an Olympic snowboarding match. One. Not two, not any other either. Can't think of how long ago it had to have been recorded, but I did recognize it. I'm not looking for a wide range as you find on TV at home--just an alternative. And on an over-two-week cruise with my compatriots in age, this single-event tape loop was unacceptable. Sure, the ship offers ay more alternatives, but that is not a real excuse.

I always love seeing these type of questions! People are going on a cruise & all they seem to care about is what sporting event is available for viewing. I know I'll get flamed, but really!

I always love seeing these type of questions! People are going on a cruise & all they seem to care about is what sporting event is available for viewing. I know I'll get flamed, but really!

It is the playoffs. Think Superbowl for hockey.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It is the playoffs. Think Superbowl for hockey.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

That may be true but what are the TV ratings for the Stanley Cup games outside of the cities where the teams come form and maybe even including those cities.

In 2016, the average ratings for the Stanley Cup finals was 3.9 million viewers. For the NBA, it was 20.3 million viewers. For the 2015 World Series, it was 14.5 million (I have not counted 2016 because that was the year the Cubs won so that the ratings of 23 million was an aberration. For the Superbowl, it was 113 million. For the 2014 World Cup, the world wide viewership was more that 500 million viewers with an average US viewership of 8.2 million.

As I mentioned, hockey is unfortunately a distant 4th in viewership.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

That may be true but what are the TV ratings for the Stanley Cup games outside of the cities where the teams come form and maybe even including those cities.

In 2016, the average ratings for the Stanley Cup finals was 3.9 million viewers. For the NBA, it was 20.3 million viewers. For the 2015 World Series, it was 14.5 million (I have not counted 2016 because that was the year the Cubs won so that the ratings of 23 million was an aberration. For the Superbowl, it was 113 million. For the 2014 World Cup, the world wide viewership was more that 500 million viewers with an average US viewership of 8.2 million.

As I mentioned, hockey is unfortunately a distant 4th in viewership.

DON

To put this in some perspective, this past Saturday, The Predators/Ducks game drew a TV audience of 2.69 million viewers. NCIS: New Orleans drew 3.2 million. 20/20 drew 2.85 million and a repeat of a Saturday Night Live "Vintage Episode" from 1996 drew 2.72 million.

To put this in some perspective, this past Saturday, The Predators/Ducks game drew a TV audience of 2.69 million viewers. NCIS: New Orleans drew 3.2 million. 20/20 drew 2.85 million and a repeat of a Saturday Night Live "Vintage Episode" from 1996 drew 2.72 million.

2.69 million viewers? Really. Still awfully lame.