Total knee replacement

onthelake

I will have total knee replacement surgery in Jan/February (don 't have date yet). We are on a TA on May 4. Lots of sea days which will be nice but I am struggling with what I can do in port and in London where we will spend a few days before returning home. I know recovery varies but any tips? Thank you.

I have had three knee replacements (one got infected and had to be replaced twice). I was out of rehab after three months, off pain medications after two months and pain free after six months approximately after each surgery. Your mileage may vary. For pain relief this surgery is a miracle, now if there was only a miracle for post-polio I would be fabulous.

I have had three knee replacements (one got infected and had to be replaced twice). I was out of rehab after three months, off pain medications after two months and pain free after six months approximately after each surgery. Your mileage may vary. For pain relief this surgery is a miracle, now if there was only a miracle for post-polio I would be fabulous.

So you think I will be fairly mobile? I love the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert. I would also like to go snorkelling but I think getting back in a boat would be to stressful.

I had a LTKR July 30, 2013. I am walking around, going up and down stairs and not taking any pain meds for my replaced knee. ;) I am still limited by how much walking I can do and have to use my scooter when I am in too much pain, but that is because I still need to have my right knee replaced (it is the one that gets all swollen and painful now). Everyone is different, but I think the majority of people are doing quite well after only a couple months.

Might I recommend a site I found incredibly important for my recovery. Its called Bonesmart. I found answers to all my questions there in the library and from asking others, plus people there are very supportive. Their library is wonderful. Men and women from England, the US and Australia go there.

If you have any questions for me, please send me a message. As you can see from my signature, I leave for a cruise to Hawaii at the end of November.

Oh, and I too love the British Museum and the A&V.

Edited by Kolleen

I had a LTKR July 30, 2013. I am walking around, going up and down stairs and not taking any pain meds for my replaced knee. ;) I am still limited by how much walking I can do and have to use my scooter when I am in too much pain, but that is because I still need to have my right knee replaced (it is the one that gets all swollen and painful now). Everyone is different, but I think the majority of people are doing quite well after only a couple months.

Might I recommend a site I found incredibly important for my recovery. Its called Bonesmart. I found answers to all my questions there in the library and from asking others, plus people there are very supportive. Their library is wonderful. Men and women from England, the US and Australia go there.

If you have any questions for me, please send me a message. As you can see from my signature, I leave for a cruise to Hawaii at the end of November.

Oh, and I too love the British Museum and the A&V.

Thank you so much for the info! I will also be having the left knee done first followed by the right as my rehab allows. Not a pleasant prospect but looking forward to years of pain-free walking.

Please just remember that everyone is different. We have a friend who had both total knee replacements at the same time. At 6 weeks he was back to work doing outdoor manual labor and pain free.

On the other hand, my DH had one knee totally replaced 14 weeks ago. He is in constant pain, on heavy pain meds, goes to rehab 3 days a week, the gym the other 4 days. At this point he has asked me to not book any vacations of any kind until further notice. :mad: I pray for him every night.

So, as I said - everyone recovers differently. My advice would be to have a back-up plan for your cruise activities. I hope you have a quick recovery and a great cruise. :D

Edited by Linda&Vern

Oh my! I hope your husband sees real relief soon. I know we are all different. I am at the younger end of the spectrum (60) but had foot surgery a couple of years ago and it was very painful with a long rehab so it colors my view of the knee surgery - I really am scared.

I'll second what jackretired said. Listen to your doctor and your PT!

My mom turned 84 a few days after her TKR, 2 months ago. She's doing great and was given clearance to drive at her 6-week follow-up. She had in-patient rehab for a few weeks, then at-home PT, and is now doing outpatient PT. I think in-patient made a big difference because she had 2 hours of PT a day, plus "the machine" to keep her knee moving.

She also did something I haven't heard of a lot, but it helped her out. She had PT prior to surgery to help get her leg muscles ready for the replacement. She'd been walking very little prior to the surgery because of pain, so this really gave her a leg up ;) for her post-op PT.

As far as the cruise and your time in London are concerned, I would think about taking a rollator (a walker with a seat). Most likely you'll be just fine on the ship since there are plenty of places to sit and rest if you need to, but a rollator will be good for excursions. They're not very expensive, and they're easy to transport. But wait to see how you're doing. Hopefully you'll be feeling so well you won't want or need any help.

each person is different. but i noticed a trend.

those people that followed orders and did rehab love the results.

those people that ignore orders etc hate the results.

Not sure what you read that you call a "trend." But I can say your comments do not relate at all to my DH's problems. He has followed all orders, goes to rehab or the gym every day, and even had "manual manipulation." The Docs feel he is close to turning the corner, but we never expected it to take 14 weeks to get this far. The only point of my post was - everyone is different. I wanted to OP to be aware so they could have back-up plans for activities on their cruise.!

Edited by Linda&Vern

My DW was back to work after three weeks (pain free).

Dear Jack,

Your wife was very lucky. Most of us knee replacement people take much longer than that.

As rough guide, occupational health nurses recommend not returning to work for at least 8 weeks after a knee replacement. Some people need even longer. It can take up to 6 months before you return to full fitness and mobility. Every knee is different.

I think the original poster should be able to manage most things on the cruise, but might find long walks and standing for a long time are still difficult.

Edited by celle

Not sure what you read that you call a "trend." But I can say your comments do not relate at all to my DH's problems. He has followed all orders, goes to rehab or the gym every day, and even had "manual manipulation." The Docs feel he is close to turning the corner, but we never expected it to take 14 weeks to get this far. The only point of my post was - everyone is different. I wanted to OP to be aware so they could have back-up plans for activities on their cruise.!

Agree with you! All are different even when they are doing everything recommend ... sometimes it takes lots longer than expected. :o

LuLu

Just to reassure you, Linda - your DH's progress is much more common than a speedy recovery. It takes a full year to recover entirely and I really don't know why people don't warn you of that before the surgery. Every knee is different and everyone recovers at a different rate.

You can't hasten recovery by working hard at exercises - in fact, too much exercise can slow down recovery. Those wounded tissues need time and rest to heal themselves; and too much exercise, too early, can result in increased swelling and inflammation.

Some people find that cutting back their PT to about twice a week, instead of daily, brings about some improvement. On the days you don't go to PT, you just do a few gentle bends and stretches. Apart from that, just walking around the house is exercise enough.

Best wishes to your DH for his continued progress. I've been there, know what it's like.

I've only been working a year as a PTA, but I don't think it is common at all for patients to be in constant pain and on heavy meds 14 weeks after knee replacement surgery. Definitely I wouldn't suggest replacing your prescribed exercises with just walking around your house, unless that is what your surgeon and physical therapist recommends.

I agree with the knee takes its own time philosophy and every knee is different. I hope you are one that does ok. I am 59 by the way, and I was terrified too. Bonesmart really helped me with the terror.

Total recovery does take many months, but walking and stairs, as long as you don't overdue, will probably be ok by then.

I agree with taking a rollator with you. I would if I didn't have my scooter. Overdoing it is not a good idea. The rollator will allow you to rest. For me regaining stamina has been what is taking the longest.

I've also read PT prior to surgery helps in recovery. I plan on doing it for my right knee.

I followed the Bonesmart mantra, did a combination of the British/American model (less aggressive PT, no one touches my knee), and did my exercises faithfully along with the machine. It worked well for me. Now I only take Advil or Tylenol when I push a bit too hard. An ice machine is also a must in my book.

I don't know if you've ever been to London before, but I would recommend taking the traditional black London cabs whenever you can. They have tons of leg room so you won't be cramped and will have plenty of room for a mobility aid like a walker if you need one, and the drivers are exceptionally knowledgeable about the city. The tube is very crowded and lots of steps and walking are involved; I'm not sure about elevator/escalator access.

Hope your surgery is successful, you make a quick and full recovery, and have a great trip!

As BeagleOne says, the London tube really is not set up for people with mobility problems. Some stations have no lifts and trying to get a rollator up an escalator sounds positively scary!

You also need to remember that, from what you have said, you will still have one bad knee to contend with however well the surgery goes. Your non-operated knee will be taking extra pressure in the post-op period and might well object to extra walking around museums etc.

I will you well with your surgery and hope that you are soon running around pain-free.

Just reread my post and found an error...IIRC all of the tube stations have escalators available, but they aren't always working. Sorry for the error.

I just got back from DC and while I think their metro system is generally very good, a LOT of the escalators were out of order and it seemed like a lot of the stations had elevator outages. And it seemed like the out-of-order escalators were always the ones going up!

Been there, Done that. Try to rent a small 3 wheel scooter. Not from the ship but a local source. We bought our own. A small 3 wheel one will move around in the stateroom with very little practice. The cruise line rentals are super expensive. Not a problem with the airlines, no charge, and super help on board. The fun part is seeing the surprised reaction of other guests when you do a 3 point turn on the elevators. Just don't run over anyone's feet, ouch, good luck and have fun.

Rent a small 3 wheel scooter, not from the cruise line as they are super expensive. Not problems with the airlines, no charge. Watch the other passengers reaction when you do a 3 point turn on the elevators. 3 wheels are easy to get around the stateroom.

London cabs have a platform that extends to accommodate such items. We own our scooters and are treated exceptionally well by HAL. One rule, don't run over someone's foot, ouch.

In the UK and Europe almost every museum or attraction have wheelchairs or scooters you can borrow. So if you find walking around a museum would be too much, then just ask for one. Look on the relevant website of anywhere you wish to visit.

The British Red Cross loans wheelchairs FOC and for a small charge will deliver.

I wish you a quick recovery.

In the UK and Europe almost every museum or attraction have wheelchairs or scooters you can borrow. So if you find walking around a museum would be too much, then just ask for one. Look on the relevant website of anywhere you wish to visit.

The British Red Cross loans wheelchairs FOC and for a small charge will deliver.

I wish you a quick recovery.

Thank you so much. I would not have thought to ask.

My friend just had total knee replacement on Tuesday and when I spoke to her on Thursday she said she had no pain at all, just a little stiffness. I'm wondering is there's a new type of knee surgery. I know there's a different type of total hip replacement with a very easy recovery because my BIL had it done that way and I had the old fashioned hip replacement with a 4 month recovery.