My Wife

Thad409

I like the idea of the formal photos so you can get pictures of the reaction. I adore my proposal photos that standybyers took that I didn't see.

Also, how has no one gushed about how sweet the OP was. I love how open you are with how much you love her. Be sure to tell her that! ;) I hope y'all have a fantastic and romantic cruise!

Edited by Yellowbird75
Quoted wrong post

Like this. Thanks Also we will not be alone our 8 yo DS will be with us. He is our whole life , we adopted him at 2 years of age ,we still don't know if we saved him or he saved us ,probably the latter. So I wouldn't mind if he was part of the surprise. Thanks for all the input please keep them coming.

Awww, that's so sweet. Is there anyway you could possibly have a right hand ring with his birthstone for him to give her at the same time?

Awww, that's so sweet. Is there anyway you could possibly have a right hand ring with his birthstone for him to give her at the same time?

Now were on the mark. I'm shopping tomorrow for another ring. Thank you very much.

Now were on the mark. I'm shopping tomorrow for another ring. Thank you very much.

You're very welcome. As an adoptee myself, I would like to thank you for adopting your DS. The bond between adoptees and adoptive parents is a special one. God bless and have a fabulous cruise. Post pictures when you get back! :)

My sis was a single mom when my favorite B-in-Law asked her to marry him...he fully adopted her daughter and they had another daughter..9 years difference. When asked my sis to marry him..he gave the daughter an ring too and they all were up there...those 3 on the marraige. He also walked his mom in and lost his dad in HS and was almost 30 when they married so...the priest said this is highly unusual and he said I don't care..she is "alone" and this is how things will proceed. The adoption took a while after marraige for all the "rules" and they have an annual "gotcha" day.

This whole thing is reminding me of the good things in my family and this family keeps the family Sunday dinners going after my mom passed and we are pretty good about church together and coffee afterwards too...having lost my mom..with my dad.

This is soo special..this is what life is about..this makes me so happy to read and helps everyone dwell on the good stuff...

Oh the double ring on the nice dinner with the picture and your son there..and someone maybe from the formalities to add the cake and some sparkly apple cider for a "Family/Marraige Renewal Night" at dinner and then a good movie, or show, or dancing a bit together afterwords..whatever the ship would have that fits..this is just wonderful..I do not think those cakes are too much and everyone likes them...

You all are priceless..God Bless..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

If your wife won't mind the moment being public, then consider going to the cruise director at the beginning of the cruise. Perhaps it can be arranged for you to be part of the Love and Marriage Show? She could keep the video they of the show.

Personally, I'm more private and I like the idea of doing it (quietly) in front of the photographers. But some are more outgoing than I am.

Either way, Have fun with it! It's a lovely thought and your wife will be very happy! ;)

Thad, before you go out and get that new ring please consider this. You have been married for 19 years already. Does she really want a new fancier wedding ring? She married you and stayed all these years with the old one. Wouldn't she really want you to take that extra cash and put it away for your retirement together? or for the kids' education? Definitely not the most romantic option, but actually being able to help your kids through college or help pay for your retirement together has a sort of romance to it too.;)

I dont think the Fascination has a steakhouse,thanks for the input

How about ordering a bottle of wine/champagne and have it sent to your cabin. Take her out on the balcony and give it to her in private. That is how I would like to have it done, just the two of you. Good Luck!

OK - I don't think anyone has suggested this, but what are you doing on your shore excursions? My husband almost proposed on top of one of the mayan ruins - be he chickened out because our relationship was pretty new and he was afraid if I said no it would ruin the rest of the cruise....silly man....:p

So...a while later, while on another vacation, he proposed at the Atlanta aquarium, in front of the GIANT whale shark/manta tank. He had wanted to go there for years and we both love stuff like that. So it was perfect. He did it quietly because I don't need big scenes and he is shy by nature. So even though we were surrounded, it was very romantic because the viewing room is dark and pretty quiet.

So...what are your excursions? How would you feel about some creativity say while snorkeling?

Thad, before you go out and get that new ring please consider this. You have been married for 19 years already. Does she really want a new fancier wedding ring? She married you and stayed all these years with the old one. Wouldn't she really want you to take that extra cash and put it away for your retirement together? or for the kids' education? Definitely not the most romantic option, but actually being able to help your kids through college or help pay for your retirement together has a sort of romance to it too.;)

He already purchased the ring. I suggested that he purchase a small right hand ring with their 8 yo DS' birthstone for DS to present at the same time. He indicated that DS was adopted at 2 years old and was the center of their universe. I thought his DW would be extremely touched with the sentiment.

He already purchased the ring. I suggested that he purchase a small right hand ring with their 8 yo DS' birthstone for DS to present at the same time. He indicated that DS was adopted at 2 years old and was the center of their universe. I thought his DW would be extremely touched with the sentiment.

Well he could always return them.;)

Well, there's nothing sweet and sentimental with that is there? :(

No. Just practical. I worked in the jewelry business years ago and I know the markups on those things. :eek: Giving that stuff maybe sweet and sentimental but it's also a complete waste of money if you pay retail.

Thank God my DW thinks so too. ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

My wife is my best friend and I love her with all my heart,weve been married 19 years in may. I want to make this cruise special. On our last cruise I was going to give her a much deserved upgrade on her wedding ring, but the finances wernt in place, so this time the ring has been bought and now I need recomendations on how to surpprise her and make it as special as possible. Thanks for any input.

Oh does this bring back memories!! For our 19th anniversary i started getting her random gifts (she thought they were random) starting about 6 months before our anniversary. For the first gift i got her a stationary pad, for the 2nd gift I got her cotton based napkins and so on up to a total of 19 gifts ending with bronze candle holders. It was not until the 19th gift that she realized that all the gifts were based on suggested gifts for an anniversary year. The bronze candle holders came with the list of gifts she had previously received. Boy was I a romantic hero to her and all her girlfriends!!! :p All of their husbands hate me to this very day. If you do something like this you could give her the ring on the cruise and jokingly say that the ring takes care of the next 19. :D

Congratulations and may your special lady know what she means to you.

No. Just practical. I worked in the jewelry business years ago and I know the markups on those things. :eek: Giving that stuff maybe sweet and sentimental but it's also a complete waste of money if you pay retail.

Thank God my DW thinks so too. ;)

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe the op doesn't care and can afford such things. It's not for you to question. I love the jewelery my husband buys for me and cherish every piece. I don't care how much of a mark up or how much it costs, he took the steps to get it and the time to do something special. Many men wouldn't. And believe it or not a lot of women appreciate that. I know I do.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe the op doesn't care and can afford such things. It's not for you to question.

Of course it's up to me to question. The OP asked a question and was being given only one stream of answers. I just presented an alternative option. He can take my advice or totally ignore it - his choice. He knows his DW not me or you!

BTW don't be sorry. I just feel very differently about this than you, no big deal.

My wife is my best friend and I love her with all my heart,weve been married 19 years in may. I want to make this cruise special. On our last cruise I was going to give her a much deserved upgrade on her wedding ring, but the finances wernt in place, so this time the ring has been bought and now I need recomendations on how to surpprise her and make it as special as possible. Thanks for any input.

I consider myself a true romantic. I'm a woman.

I would say, depending on her personality.....is what you should do. Is she a showy "look at me" kind of gal? You know, does she like all the attention?

If not, a nice walk around the deck late at night, under the stars. Speak from the heart, and give her the ring. That would make me melt. Tell her you'd marry her all over again, etc. etc. You can make your own vows to say to her right there. Who needs a ceremony and $'s spent when you can do it yourself.

That's my opinion anyways, that would make me melt....and guarantee you would be getting lucky that night lol.

Ok first of all thank you so much for all the great ideals and input. The plan is to wait until formal night and after dinner try to find a quiet place on deck if possible and have our DS JJ present her with his birthstone necklace and on the necklace will also be her new wedding ring from me, Kim my wife isn't a attention or look at me type person, so this is my best way of thinking to keep it just us , so any suggestions on a quiet place outside on the Fascination. Again to all thanks so much for all the help.