Check in for flight to cruise

snaefell

Wasn't sure whether to put this on air travel or cruise but here goes....

We will be flying out to Barbados with Thomson from Manchester soon to join Britannia for a cruise,I notice on the E ticket that it advises check in 3 hours before,just wondering what,if any,experience anybody has with this,we usually try to be at the airport 2 hours before but on one our last trip to Amsterdam on the day of departure we got a message from the airline advising us to check in 3 hours before due to increased security checks,we tried to do this & were told on our arrival at the airport that the bag drop didn't open until 2 hours before!

Long haul flights usually require you to check in 3 hours before flying. We always set off to the airport early as you just do not know what can happen on the roads and would rather be early than rushing at the last minute. Have a wonderful cruise.:D:D

There are also sometimes delays getting through security, so we also aim for 3 hours before. I’ve been delayed by accident road closures and weather before, and would rather be at the airport in plenty of time rather than worrying if I’ll get there on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I presume you will have an early morning check in time. What time do you fly? On our flight from Manchester airport last September it took over an hour to get through security, the queues were unbelievable! We also had to queue around the roundabout outside the airport before drop off.

If I were you I would arrive at least 3 hours before your departure time.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies folks,our flight is midday so we are looking at 0900hrs check in which from where we live in Cheshire is a pretty horrible time to be going to Manchester on a weekday,the journey should only take just over 30 minutes but at that time of day the M56 does a wonderful car park impression,if we have a choice of flights we always opt for an early one to avoid the problem.

My Mother used to be quite horrified when I told her how at something like 5 in the morning we would be sat in the airport lounge with a breakfast of bacon butties & trifle washed down with Guinness,now that's the way to start your holiday!

Personally I would book a cheap hotel (Travelodge? ) the night before, or a hotel/parking option, to avoid getting up at silly o'clock.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

That's what we do everytime, if you book as a package the hotel is virtually free and you can have relaxing evening, meal and a few drinks to start the holiday,

Kev

Slightly late to this, but, due to the current improvement works at Manchester Terminal 2, there can be considerable delays on the roads around and into the terminal. It's worth allowing for this.

As for check-in, it was open at the three hour mark when we used it. If you're concerned about queues through security, consider the fast track pass. More money I know, but they did have an offer of 2 for £7.50 via the Airport website (its £5 each normally).

Slightly late to this, but, due to the current improvement works at Manchester Terminal 2, there can be considerable delays on the roads around and into the terminal. It's worth allowing for this

Funnily enough only asking somebody about that the other week having seen some things on the net about work at T2,suddenly realised it was 1994 the last time we used T2,can't believe it is that long!

We often do stay at an hotel the night before,my Wife works for an hotel chain so we get good prices but at the moment she is having trouble getting the day before we fly off work to make it worth while so just trying to 'cover all the bases'.

Thanks again for all your help folks!

Personally I would book a cheap hotel (Travelodge? ) the night before, or a hotel/parking option, to avoid getting up at silly o'clock.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I totally agree. It takes all the stress away and often includes a parking option which is comparable with the long stay parking prices meaning you stay nearly for free. We are flying from Gatwick to Barbados to board Britannia in a fortnight and have booked a premier Inn with valet parking.

I presume you will have an early morning check in time. What time do you fly? On our flight from Manchester airport last September it took over an hour to get through security, the queues were unbelievable! We also had to queue around the roundabout outside the airport before drop off.

If I were you I would arrive at least 3 hours before your departure time.

At Manchester airport i always book a security fast pass from Holiday Exxxxs around £3.50 each and when it is busy it as much faster getting to the security scanners.

We flew out of Manchester terminal 2 to Barbados on the 16th of March. Flight was 12.10 we arrived at 9.40 and check in was dead - only 2 people in front of us. Security was 15 mins. Our friends arrived 15 mins after us and they were called by name at the door as they were last to check in.

I’m amazed that people go so early. We usually aim for 1.5 hours before. Check in closes 45 mins before according to the TUI website.

I'm another who likes to be there the night before and then chill out with a meal and a few drinks .

Also taking the weather the UK has had this weekend trying to get to the airport and time it down

to one and a half hours would not even enter my head .

If everyone aimed to do so it would be chaos at the check in and security.

We had an elderly couple once who had checked in early and went Awol in Manchester and the

flight was due to leave mid day .They were very lucky to board as they strolled up with five

minutes to go. People were moaning as they boarded but the guy just said " It dosen't go until twelve".

He just did not get it . They closed the hold, waited for the gantry to retract and for a tug to come

back for push back. The pilot then told us we had missed our slot ,so there we sat for another

twenty minutes for push back so by the time we got onto the runway ,we were just over forty minutes late.

It's worth noting that if a pilot has everyone on board given the chance of taking an earlier slot

he/she will do so but that will not happen if people like the old guy turn up late .

Having said all that the 3 hours before is only a recommendation so providing people get to the

check in before closure as these are the same people most of the time who then do the gate

check and boarding for your plane- so check in is closed .

Whatever your choice of timing ..Do not be late , it's your holiday :D

Snaefell, not sure where you are in Cheshire? We're in Nantwich, and we take the train straight to Manchester Airport. It’s so easy. Of course, that may not be convenient, depending where you live.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't know what the rush is,presumably due to the extreme weather conditions last Fridays flight to Barbados didn't take off until 1640hrs,now I bet that was a long day!

At least those of us waiting at Barbados had a nice ship to wait in.

Don't know what the rush is,presumably due to the extreme weather conditions last Fridays flight to Barbados didn't take off until 1640hrs,now I bet that was a long day!

Same happened to us a couple of years ago because of snow. We arrived at the ship about 11pm. We were welcomed onboard ship and were told to head on up to the buffet where there was food waiting for us. From memory it was few dried up leftovers from the evening buffet! Yuk!😝

Fortunately we weren't due to sail until the next day so didnt have to do the muster drill. I think it took a couple of days to recover.

In contrast when we had a flight delay last year on a Cunard cruise we were treated a lot differently. When we arrived at the ship there were dozens of officers waiting to greet us with champagne and couldnt stop apologising. We were advised there was food waiting for us in the buffet. It was a full freshly cooked dinner buffet with lots of choice. The only downside we had to do the muster at midnight but they did give each passenger $100 obc and bottle of wine.