Anyone skipped every port through choice?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:10 AM.
#41
Canberra Australia
42,430 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by fishtaco
When you are holidaying on an island beach you think wouldnt it be great to be on that cruise ship as they pass in the distance.When on a cruise and you see a small beach island you think wouldnt it be nice to be that little island!

I have done many island holidays but never a ship only cruise and when you think about it everything you need is on the ship except (in most cases) Pseudo culture tarted up for the cruisers benefit.

I suppose if you have never done a beach island holiday or visited a bit of the world then all the ports can be fun.
I went to Montego bay on a cruise a few years ago and was so excited but if I ever went again you couldnt drag me off the boat lol
Bobby Bloom had you inspired for no reason then.
#42
Batehaven, Australia
11,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Sorry, but I could never skip a Port on a cruise. We like the shipboard life, but also the Ports, crikey, just spent about 3 grand on shorex for this years cruises on Sapphire & Royal Princesses.

The Sydney Harbour Ferries should stop at Pinchgut Island/Fort Denison for a VB cocktail and a Four'n Twenty pie.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
#43
I come from a land down under
25,133 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf
I have tried to skip the dis-embarkation port to no avail, the buggers keep finding me!!!!
Buggers like that ain’t they.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





#44
Canberra Australia
42,430 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by NSWP
Sorry, but I could never skip a Port on a cruise. We like the shipboard life, but also the Ports, crikey, just spent about 3 grand on shorex for this years cruises on Sapphire & Royal Princesses.

The Sydney Harbour Ferries should stop at Pinchgut Island/Fort Denison for a VB cocktail and a Four'n Twenty pie.
Would be nice.
#46
I come from a land down under
25,133 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by MicCanberra
They check everywhere apparently.
Even under the stairs according to Dobby.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





#48
Sydney
200 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I love the empty ship on port days. We are early risers so at tender ports in the South Pacific we often get off on the first couple of tenders, spend two or three hours swimming and lying on the beach and then hop back on by 11am just as everyone is getting off the ship. Best of both worlds and easy to nab a shady deck chair for a hard afternoon of more lazing around!
#49
Canberra Australia
42,430 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by wagtail_syd
I love the empty ship on port days. We are early risers so at tender ports in the South Pacific we often get off on the first couple of tenders, spend two or three hours swimming and lying on the beach and then hop back on by 11am just as everyone is getting off the ship. Best of both worlds and easy to nab a shady deck chair for a hard afternoon of more lazing around!
Likewise, back on board before the lunchtime rush as well.
#50
Auckland, New Zealand
510 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I've skipped ports. I recall having swine flu off of the coast of Mexico (which seemed fitting) and I lay in bed for a couple of days. I missed a good stop but realistically on those days I was going nowhere. The lesson I learned here was never rationalise a cheap cabin on the basis you'll never be in it. That was out last inside cabin - we now only use suites.
#51
Canberra Australia
42,430 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by MrYellowDuck
I've skipped ports. I recall having swine flu off of the coast of Mexico (which seemed fitting) and I lay in bed for a couple of days. I missed a good stop but realistically on those days I was going nowhere. The lesson I learned here was never rationalise a cheap cabin on the basis you'll never be in it. That was out last inside cabin - we now only use suites.
Good point about the cabins.
#52
217 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
There's nothing wrong. no crowds, ship to your-self. Plus you got the booze & nothing to distract you. Have done it a number of times. Been to Lifou 3 times & NEVER got off the boat. love snorkling & have priority dis-embarking & once in Noumea. I did send the DW to Marlene to buy some duty free Booze.. Oh only problem is most cruise companies do the security drill in Noumea at about 10:00. Those alarm are very LOUD. LOL
#53
Brisbane, Australia
914 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Keep thinking I am going to stay on ship, but always go ashore, there might be something different, even in Noumea or Mystery Island. Lol. Generally have a stroll around, come back to lovely quiet ship.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


2005, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2006, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2007, Celebrity Summit, Alaska
2008 P&O, Pacific Sun, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
2008 Celebrity Millenium New Zealand
2009 Dawn Princess, Sydney to Southampton
2010 Pacific Dawn - North Queensland
2010 Pacific Sun - comedy cruise
2010 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
2011 Celebrity Infinity - South America & Antarctica
2011 P&O Sun, Fremantle to Sydney
2012 Pacific Dawn - South Pacific
2013 Diamond Princess, Beijing to Bangkok
2013 Pacific Pearl South Pacific
2014 MSC Orchestra and Preziosa - Mediterranean
2014 Sea Princess - Papua New Guinea
2015 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South East Asia
2015 Victoria Lianna - Yangtze River Cruise
2015 Diamond Princess Japanese Cruise
2016 Regal Princess - Baltics
2017 Voyager of the Seas - Hong Kong to Singapore
2018 Carnival Legend Hobart and Port Arthur
2018 CMV Columbus - Singapore to London
#54
Canberra Australia
42,430 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Hunter69
There's nothing wrong. no crowds, ship to your-self. Plus you got the booze & nothing to distract you. Have done it a number of times. Been to Lifou 3 times & NEVER got off the boat. love snorkling & have priority dis-embarking & once in Noumea. I did send the DW to Marlene to buy some duty free Booze.. Oh only problem is most cruise companies do the security drill in Noumea at about 10:00. Those alarm are very LOUD. LOL
Yes, the drills can be very loud, no sleeping in on those.
#56
gold coast
276 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by SinbadThePorter
I'll always get off, if only to stretch my legs.

Except for one port, Noumea.

we go there in march and we are not getting off there either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#57
Canberra Australia
42,430 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by CrossBluePerchance
It's almost as if they wanted them to be heard.
Goes right through ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones as well.
#58
Australia
9 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
My Dad stays on board ship at almost every port on every cruise he goes on. He’s ex-Navy and is on the ship for the ship not the ports, plus he’s not as mobile as he used to be and loves sitting in the lounges with the bar tender pretty much to himself. Mum gets off the ship and does her own thing.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

--------------------------------------------------
Carnival Spirit - Pacific Islands ~ 2014
Pacific Pearl - New Zealand (South Island) ~ 2012
#59
7 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
I haven't done this yet, but I would love to. Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of port stops I regretted getting off the ship. One time I only made it to the end of the pier and headed back, so I guess that almost counts as staying on board. I can say it was amazing to basically have the ship to myself. Everyone flocks to get off the ship, but very few consider just staying put.

There are a couple of cruises I have looked at recently, and had the idea to just stay onboard. To me, it makes perfect sense.
#60
Perth Australia
5,156 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
If I get the Drinks package we are staying on if we dont I might get off at Mystery Island for a snorkel it looks like they have changed it a bit since my last trips.

Drinks package on RCI is so hum ha?yes/no? over the price I may have to toss a coin!
$1480 for ten nights,not sure we have ever spent that much on a cruise before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature