Double Occupancy/ One Person "May" Not Go

Lady_Gamecock

My friend is on a cruise in October. She and her friend have been planning this cruise for over a year and they are about to buy insurance for it. (Past Final Payment)

They did not purchase insurance but plan to, today. Her friend has recently developed health issues (not diagnosed) and plans to visit the doctor this week. She's worried her condition may prohibit her from going.

Questions:

1. If she buys insurance prior to the diagnoses and the doctor recommends NOT to cruise I'm assuming she'll get her money back. Do most plans require a certain number of days purchased prior to the plan paying the person back? (Example: Buys policy today; finds out this week she has an issue and can't cruise. Or is there a minimum number of days she must have the plan active?)

2. Since one of the original PAX still plans to go, could she just swap another person to take her friend's place. I am assuming there would be a "name change" fee.

3. My friend just goes by herself and does not tell the Port her friend isn't coming. Would she incur the single supplement penalty?

4. My friend wants to go on the cruise regardless if her friend goes or not. If her friend gets reimbursed by insurance, would my friend get her money back or would she able to cruise without her? (And not pay the Single Supplement?)

Thanks Much!

Lady_G

Your friend will have to pick her insurance carefully. Not all policies will cover cancellation if you book after final payment or after a certain number of days post-booking (usually 10-15).

She should be able to transfer the booking to someone else though, which would make cancellation insurance moot for the cruise portion at least (not likely for flights).

Not sure about single supplement flights.

Insurance companies are for profit companies. What you are describing would generally not be covered. You can’t typically buy insurance to cover something that has already happened or appears imminent. One name can be changed on the reservation for a small fee, so that would be an option. Also your friend could sail solo with no extra fee if the other person is unable to sail (as Celebrity already has the full money for the cabin). The person missing would even get port fees reimbursed. Hopefully both end up being able to sail.

Sounds like the cruise is already booked and now she is considering purchasing insurance? Is this correct? Insurance will most likely not be of any help since she is purchasing it AFTER final payment. I won't say too much more about the importance of purchasing insurance, at least by final payment date if not within 14 days of the original deposit. This may have to go into the lessons learned column.

Your friend could also try to find someone to take the place of the person not going but it has to be done as soon as possible and I believe the cost is somewhere between $35 - $50 ... that would be the best of all possible outcomes. Whomever takes her place could work out payment directly to the one that cancels and the small charge to the cruise line for the passenger change.

If your friend decides to go on her own, she should probably just check in by herself. I've heard of situations where they may charge a single supplement if they know she is traveling solo. But, since I am pretty sure the person not going won't get a refund from any insurance policy, so someone has paid the other half already. The port charges are the only portion that might be refunded (emphasis on might).

If the passenger with the health issues still decides to go, she should definitely investigate the many different policies and get one that will cover her for her pre-existing conditions. It will be expensive but necessary.

Generally speaking, insurance has to be purchased before final payment. She should investigate on a site like "insuremytip" or better, give them a call to see if there is some possibility.

You can still get insurance after final payment, you just can’t get it to cover an already existing issue. It would be like buying insurance to cover a delayed flight after a storm has already been forecasted for the day of the flight or fire insurance for your home when a wildfire is burning nearby. Insurance companies don’t sell policies to cover known events that are likely to result in a payout. The definitions and specifics vary policy to policy, but in essence you can’t wait for a problem to arise to purchase insurance with the expectation the problem will then be covered. But you can still get insurance to cover potential problems down the road that are not currently imminent.

My friend is on a cruise in October. She and her friend have been planning this cruise for over a year and they are about to buy insurance for it. (Past Final Payment)

They did not purchase insurance but plan to, today. Her friend has recently developed health issues (not diagnosed) and plans to visit the doctor this week. She's worried her condition may prohibit her from going.

Questions:

1. If she buys insurance prior to the diagnoses and the doctor recommends NOT to cruise I'm assuming she'll get her money back. Do most plans require a certain number of days purchased prior to the plan paying the person back? (Example: Buys policy today; finds out this week she has an issue and can't cruise. Or is there a minimum number of days she must have the plan active?)

2. Since one of the original PAX still plans to go, could she just swap another person to take her friend's place. I am assuming there would be a "name change" fee.

3. My friend just goes by herself and does not tell the Port her friend isn't coming. Would she incur the single supplement penalty?

4. My friend wants to go on the cruise regardless if her friend goes or not. If her friend gets reimbursed by insurance, would my friend get her money back or would she able to cruise without her? (And not pay the Single Supplement?)

Thanks Much!

Lady_G

Be sure to check the benefits of the credit card that was used for payment. Our card offers travel insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Steve at the tripinsurancestore.com would be able to answer your insurance questions better than anyone here. It is his business and he is very very knowledgeable. You and your friend are walking a fine line at this point so listen to the experts. You don't want to buy a policy from a salesman only to find out it does not cover your issue.