What happens during dry dock? Independence of the Seas.

Hi there. I see that Independence of the Seas is getting some refurbishing during dry dock this year. I read about the public areas that are being constructed (Escape rooms, water slides etc.) but I am wondering if the state rooms also routinely get a sprucing up during dry dock. Or does each dry dock just serve a specific purpose - like expanding the public areas on Independence.

The major work of a dry dock is required marine inspection and maintenance, stuff passengers don't see. They will fix up staterooms as needed, but there likely won't be complete refurbishing of every stateroom.

Hi there. I see that Independence of the Seas is getting some refurbishing during dry dock this year. I read about the public areas that are being constructed (Escape rooms, water slides etc.) but I am wondering if the state rooms also routinely get a sprucing up during dry dock. Or does each dry dock just serve a specific purpose - like expanding the public areas on Independence.

Most would say they are not expanding the public areas. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you look at the deck plans for next year (post dry-dock). The Concierge Lounge on Deck 10 is gone and there are cabins there instead. On Deck 14, the public rooms on the Port side (Cloud 9, forget what other room was called) have been turned into a Suite Lounge.

Diamond Club on Deck 14 remains in current location.

Kathy

When a ship enters dry dock do they generally complete the repairs/ refurbs on time? For example if you are booked for the first sailing after a dry dock should you be worried things might not be completed on time, has anyone run into this kind of problem?

When a ship enters dry dock do they generally complete the repairs/ refurbs on time? For example if you are booked for the first sailing after a dry dock should you be worried things might not be completed on time, has anyone run into this kind of problem?

Most time the ship comes out of dry dock on time, probably because some other ship is scheduled to use that facility. However, there may be more work going on inside during the next cruise or so.

Royal have listed everything that’s being added during the dry dock, but not mentioned refurbishing of the cabins. Our last two Indy cruises the cabins were showing their age in places, so using the deck plans I’ve booked one of the new ones. So it’s guaranteed to be all shiny and new [emoji4] ..... but tbh we only ever use it to sleep, wash, change etc so will probably make little difference to us anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for information. I didn't realize I was going to be on the 1st sailing after a dry dock when I booked, feeling a little nervous now. :(

I'd be excited --- it's like a new ship. Been wanting to try the Freedom class upgrades (Liberty) but not a fan of sailing out of Galveston.