Changing Dress Codes

C at Sea

Jus back from Azura Caribbean Cruise. Had good time despite not good weather esp in 1st week! But was a little annoyed about them changing the dress codes. Looked on the P&O site and it told you what the code was for each night. Excellent, I thought - can't remember that happening before and very useful. When info etc came from P&O just before we sailed the codes were the same - 4 Black Tie, 4 Jacket required and 6 Smart Casual. Fine - packed accordingly. However when onboard these had all changed! The particular codes for each night were different - tho this didn't matter so much - but what was annoying was that it had changed to 8 casual. The trouble is on a fly cruise you are limited in weight so you pack down to a fine art to get everything right! It didnt matter too hugely to me tho I would have taken different things really! But hubby neednt have packed all he did and could have included other things!

Thought I would mention it for the sake of anyone about to travel. It is important to know at least how many nights are what dress code when you are on a fly cruise.

Jus back from Azura Caribbean Cruise. Had good time despite not good weather esp in 1st week! But was a little annoyed about them changing the dress codes. Looked on the P&O site and it told you what the code was for each night. Excellent, I thought - can't remember that happening before and very useful. When info etc came from P&O just before we sailed the codes were the same - 4 Black Tie, 4 Jacket required and 6 Smart Casual. Fine - packed accordingly. However when onboard these had all changed! The particular codes for each night were different - tho this didn't matter so much - but what was annoying was that it had changed to 8 casual. The trouble is on a fly cruise you are limited in weight so you pack down to a fine art to get everything right! It didnt matter too hugely to me tho I would have taken different things really! But hubby neednt have packed all he did and could have included other things!

Thought I would mention it for the sake of anyone about to travel. It is important to know at least how many nights are what dress code when you are on a fly cruise.

We are on Azura next week A405B and frankly this is not on - with the tight luggage allowance we need to know exactly how many of each code there are. I have phoned P&O and they tell me categorically that our cruise the code is 4/4/6 but you are saying that you had 8 casual - was that then 3 Formal/3 Jacket and 8 Casual ?

Also I think it does matter about changing the nights around as we have book speciality restaurants on our Jacket nights and do not want to go on Formal Nights.

Has anyone else who has cruised Azura this season had their dress codes changed from the advertised 4/4/6 as we would like to get it right before packing !!

We were on A402.

Just remember they have a tropical and a 60/70's night, which I class as casual.

As far as I can recall we had 4 formal, 4 jacket and rest casual.

I may be wrong as i often wear jacket on a casual night so don't actually count them up.

I used the P and O site before to check though.

It is annoying if they do alter them.

We were on A402.

Just remember they have a tropical and a 60/70's night, which I class as casual.

As far as I can recall we had 4 formal, 4 jacket and rest casual.

I may be wrong as i often wear jacket on a casual night so don't actually count them up.

I used the P and O site before to check though.

It is annoying if they do alter them.

Thanks for your reply.

Just hope they don't change it

I read last year that the semi-formal was being replaced with casual on all ships except Adonia. I thought that had all been implemented by now and was surprised when looking on the "Dress Codes by Cruise" page that this has only come into effect on Oceana and Ventura.

I notice they are now only showing the total number of dress code nights in each category rather than showing the dress code for each night. What concerns me more is that they are no longer showing the port times in these documents. This used to be the only place I knew to find the port times before boarding. Any suggestions where we go to find port times now? It seems that Carnival's desire to cut down on the time in port and add extra sea days means they really don't want anyone to know the port times before sailing any more.

I read last year that the semi-formal was being replaced with casual on all ships except Adonia. I thought that had all been implemented by now and was surprised when looking on the "Dress Codes by Cruise" page that this has only come into effect on Oceana and Ventura.

I notice they are now only showing the total number of dress code nights in each category rather than showing the dress code for each night. What concerns me more is that they are no longer showing the port times in these documents. This used to be the only place I knew to find the port times before boarding. Any suggestions where we go to find port times now? It seems that Carnival's desire to cut down on the time in port and add extra sea days means they really don't want anyone to know the port times before sailing any more.

Our Cruise Personaliser shows Early Evening for all ports which is 6PM-9PM but 5PM is more likely

Hi Clive

I think you have been under some misapprehension in that the company never said they were replacing semi formal at all. Some on here were saying they should but only because that suited them. With regard to the dress codes and port times I shall post a link to the P&O site which give you all the information you need.

Your second misapprehension is about the reduced port times. Well that is not happening. It did happen on an odd occasion but that was all. Some people went on and on about it but were using the same examples. I have cruised 4 times in the last year and I have had no short days. I have had a departure put back by 3 hours in New York so we could see the 9-11 light. An unscheduled midnight departure an extra overnight and an eleven o'clock departure having arrived at 8.00.

You should not believe all the negative comments on here and other boards as so many of them turn out to be false.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The link to the P&O site for dress code and times in port.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Edited by daiB

The codes for each night were changed and yes we had booked Sindhu before we went but when we got onboard theyd changed that night to a formal - so we had to cancel and rebook! In our pre cruise literature it said expect 4 Black tie, 4 Jacket required and 6 Smart Casual. Onboard they replaced this with 4 Black Tie, 2 Jacket Required and 8 Smart Casual. As you say very annoying as we'd packed accordingly and had a really hard job keeping to limit! If I'd paid for extra allowance I'd have been very cross!

Hi Clive

I think you have been under some misapprehension in that the company never said they were replacing semi formal at all. Some on here were saying they should but only because that suited them. With regard to the dress codes and port times I shall post a link to the P&O site which give you all the information you need.

Your second misapprehension is about the reduced port times. Well that is not happening. It did happen on an odd occasion but that was all. Some people went on and on about it but were using the same examples. I have cruised 4 times in the last year and I have had no short days. I have had a departure put back by 3 hours in New York so we could see the 9-11 light. An unscheduled midnight departure an extra overnight and an eleven o'clock departure having arrived at 8.00.

You should not believe all the negative comments on here and other boards as so many of them turn out to be false.

The link to the P&O site for dress code and times in port.

Dai, Clive's point is that that link no longer shows the Port times or Dress codes for each night.

Thanks Tudorin! Did you enjoy cruise? We had a great time despite weather and what we laughingly called a cruise of misinformation and dodgy organisation! We especially laughed at the weather forecast at the top of The Horizon - everyday was Sunny! It rained for a lot of the first few days! Think it was just left on from previous copies! The Officer Hosted Caribbean Luncheon was lovely - really enjoyed it but shame it was right at the end of the cruise on the same day as the Penninsular party which we missed cos it was at 8pm and we were on 1st sitting and also wanted to see the show at 8.30pm. It got particularly busy in the theatres and if you weren't in there by 8.15 pm it was hard to get a seat. If you the wanted to see the cabaret after the show in Manhattan - opposite end of ship - no chance! No seats at all!

Dai, Clive's point is that that link no longer shows the Port times or Dress codes for each night.

Well it was there last time I looked. Who changed it. We used it for our cruise in Oceana at the end of January. And have only been back just over a week so I have an excuse I was cruising.

Sorry Clive.

Your second misapprehension is about the reduced port times. I have cruised 4 times in the last year and I have had no short days. An unscheduled midnight departure an extra overnight and an eleven o'clock departure having arrived at 8.00.

Dai,

Would the extra overnight stay happen to be on the recent Oceana cruise we both went on? If so, are you aware that this was caused by rough seas causing La Coruna to be cancelled? This is the reason we headed straight for Tenerife and stayed overnight, and not a sudden outburst of altruism from P&O.

In case for some reason you deem this post to be unduly negative, we had a marvellous time, loved the ship, and the food was considerably better than our previous P&O experience.

I share your view that many comments on here turn out to be either false (or sometimes incomplete).

Well it was there last time I looked. Who changed it. We used it for our cruise in Oceana at the end of January. And have only been back just over a week so I have an excuse I was cruising.

We used it too, for the same cruise. Unfortunately, you may recall that it was changed the second we boarded.

Dai,

Would the extra overnight stay happen to be on the recent Oceana cruise we both went on? If so, are you aware that this was caused by rough seas causing La Coruna to be cancelled? This is the reason we headed straight for Tenerife and stayed overnight, and not a sudden outburst of altruism from P&O.

In case for some reason you deem this post to be unduly negative, we had a marvellous time, loved the ship, and the food was considerably better than our previous P&O experience.

I share your view that many comments on here turn out to be either false (or sometimes incomplete).

But it was very nice of the captain to take us to nice warm Tenerife instead of closed windy and wet La Coruna. I had not looked at the timings before we left but being in La Gomera till 11.00 was nice as well.

But it was very nice of the captain to take us to nice warm Tenerife instead of closed windy and wet La Coruna. I had not looked at the timings before we left but being in La Gomera till 11.00 was nice as well.

Couldn't agree with you more - a most welcome decision to head straight for the sun. The La Gomera decision may have had something to do with the fact we were heading for La Palma, about 50 miles away. Had we departed at the scheduled time, we would have been plodding along backwards.

Don't get used to me agreeing with you!

Annie

Edited by AnnieC

It does - you have to scroll down and click on the ship first and then find your cruise.

I thought it was only winter Caribbean cruises where they didn't have smart nights, or that changed back now?

It does - you have to scroll down and click on the ship first and then find your cruise.

It used to up until about a week ago. Now it just lists the total number of nights for each code.

I presume you mean this link

It also used to list the port times. This has gone also.

Brian

Hi C at Sea, Yes we enjoyed the cruise it was our 5th year in a row.

Horizon said sunny every day laughable.

Most of the entertainers we had seen in previous years and yes the Manhattan was a bun fight and wife had words with some inconsiderate male passengers.

Weather was not too good to begin with but far better than home.

At times the ship seemed as it had nearer 4,000 passengers than 3000.

I have posted a review but still being looked over by management.

Strange not so many lectures this time although I did see the man who talks on Concorde more than once but he must have been a guest as he never did a talk.

Such a pity as he was very intresting last year.

I thought it was only winter Caribbean cruises where they didn't have smart nights, or that changed back now?

It caught me out as well they must have just changed it. We had used the link before we went on the 30th when you got off. Are you talking about Oceana above and the change to just formal and casual.

On my Ventura cruise this January we sailed at 5 or 5:30.

Same as us on Ventura last March - even though the Dress code thing said 6PM it was 5PM every night. I think if P&O publish 'Early Evening' which is 6PM-9PM they should stick to it as you may wish to book a 3rd party trip !

Our Azura for next week says Early Evening for all ports in the CP.

This is our first P&O cruise the lack of information regarding port times infuriates me and if they have changed dress codes we should be notified in advance :mad:

They are treating passengers like mushrooms. Things like this give people an excuse to complain about other things that they might otherwise not bother about.

We will be packing for 4/4/2 regardless and hopefully enjoy the cruise.