2 Bedroom cabins from NYC area

nyc511

I've searched on Cruise Critic and on various websites, but it's awfully daunting! Not to be maudlin, but there was a recent death in the family and we would like to "get away" for a bit, preferably from New York area to either Bermuda or Carribean, maybe New England/Canada. Someone needs to stay with Dad, and a pull-out sofa is not adequate. Does anyone have info on cabins/suites that have 2 separate bedrooms? I'm guessing we are talking about NCL Breakaway, Celebrity or RCL as they appear to be the only ships leaving from NYC area. Thanks!

I've searched on Cruise Critic and on various websites, but it's awfully daunting! Not to be maudlin, but there was a recent death in the family and we would like to "get away" for a bit, preferably from New York area to either Bermuda or Carribean, maybe New England/Canada. Someone needs to stay with Dad, and a pull-out sofa is not adequate. Does anyone have info on cabins/suites that have 2 separate bedrooms? I'm guessing we are talking about NCL Breakaway, Celebrity or RCL as they appear to be the only ships leaving from NYC area. Thanks!

Why not connecting cabins or even adjoining? All the beds can be separated into twins in every cabin. Probably be far cheaper. Even a balcony and the inside across the passageway is frequently cheaper than a suite.

Thank you; I'll do some research. My thought was that with a suite with 2 bedrooms you are generally charged as a "couple" whereas if you book two connecting cabins you are most likely charged as a "single" in each, each with a "single supplement" on each cabin, which is generally double. So, just as an example, a cabin with a balcony may cost a couple $2000, which is what a single person would pay as well, so $4000 for 2 people in 2 cabins. Maybe there's a suite out there that may cost similar or a bit more, but often come with bells and whistles and other perks. Thanks again!

Thank you; I'll do some research. My thought was that with a suite with 2 bedrooms you are generally charged as a "couple" whereas if you book two connecting cabins you are most likely charged as a "single" in each, each with a "single supplement" on each cabin, which is generally double. So, just as an example, a cabin with a balcony may cost a couple $2000, which is what a single person would pay as well, so $4000 for 2 people in 2 cabins. Maybe there's a suite out there that may cost similar or a bit more, but often come with bells and whistles and other perks. Thanks again!

Ah, misunderstood that there were only two of you. Yes, two people in two cabins would be the price of four people. As I've said, though, even a regular cabin can have two twins instead of the queen. Also, booking a suite that sleeps 3-4, you may not be allowed to book them for only two, unless you do so close in to sailing date. They usually hold these for larger parties.

the problem with that is the larger suites have minimum occupancy requirements( 5+) and will not be released for smaller groups until after final payment

far easier would be connecting cabins if you need immediate access or adjoining cabins( no interior door) if you just need a helper

the problem with that is the larger suites have minimum occupancy requirements( 5+) and will not be released for smaller groups until after final payment

far easier would be connecting cabins if you need immediate access or adjoining cabins( no interior door) if you just need a helper

We've booked a Royal Family Suite for three of us 7 months before the cruise departed.

We've booked a Royal Family Suite for three of us 7 months before the cruise departed.

This has happened to some (a few times to us) ...but it's not the norm and shouldn't ever be counted on.

On RC I booked 2 deluxe balconies that had connecting door and it worked out great for us. Each of us had our privacy, but had access to others cabin if needed. BTW, I believe they also had a curtain if you wanted to leave the connecting door open. Great set up, but costly, a little over 5 grand, and that was 4-5 yrs ago on Liberty of the Seas

We've never booked on the Breakaway, but on other NCL ships, we've booked 2BR suites (Haven, but there are non-Haven versions on some ships, but perhaps not Breakaway?) or DOS or OS, etc., suites that could sleep 4 and sometimes 6, for just the two of us.

And we've never had a problem making the reservation even close to 2 years out - again, just for 2 of us.

Does Breakaway have the 2BR (one very small, but with a full bathroom with shower) that is not in the Haven?

Those had a nice arrangement for 2, especially if they'd like some privacy.

Perhaps other lines have minimum capacity limits for advance booking?

Or does NCL have that for their newer mega-ships?

It's just not something we've encountered on NCL, with quite a few reservations.

I believe that Anthem also has studios (cabins for 1) and I think there may be balcony studios as well as inside studios. On some ships you can get connecting studios. The advantage is you are paying for 1 person per studio and get 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

NCL Breakaway also has studios for 1 and then there are "The Haven Aft Facing Penthouses" and "The Haven Forward Facing Penthouses" which have a separate living room with sleeper sofa and separate bedroom. There are also "The Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villas." All of these get special perks. The studios has a private concierge and lounge (but this is all in insides - nice insides, but insides.) Whereas The Haven gets butler and concierge service, private restaurant and bar, private pool and many more perks.