Questions about Grandeur Cabins

We had an oceanview on deck 2 and it was great! I worried about being on 2, but it was so convenient on port days and we never had a problem grabbing an elevator. As others have mentioned, the showers have a shower curtain. Grandeur is an older ship but the layout is great and staff is (by leaps and bounds) the best we’ve had on Royal.

We have cruised on the Grandeur 17 times and have 6 more cruises booked on her. Needless to say, she’s our favorite ship. I love the smaller ships without all the bells and whistles. I like that you can see the ocean from almost every venue and love the outside Promenade deck on 5. I spend my afternoons sitting there, out of the sun.

We have cruised mostly inside cabins, but, upgrade when the price is right. Splurged for our 50th Anniversary and booked a corner aft JS on deck 7 ( with a walk in closet). It was great. Last December, we booked a balcony guarantee and was assigned an accessible balcony.....best cabin ever. It was huge and had a huge bathroom. I am happy with any cabin, as long as I’m on the ship! I’m easy to please......

Gwen [emoji3]

Our inside on 7 was a great location, but the cabin was small and felt even smaller due to the door in the center of the cabin. You have to put the chair and table in the center of the cabin to make room for the door to open. The wasted space there and in the area where the door usually is made an already small cabin feel even smaller. It is the biggest shortfall on a ship that we enjoyed immensely.

Thanks.

I first went with and OV on deck 3, then saw the deck 7 POV open up and called to switch.

Personal preference for me is interior on deck 7, midship. Deck 7 is quiet with a passenger deck above, but you don't hear much from below. Its quick to either elevator (fore or aft) and easy access to everything.

Grandeur, being an older ship, has less balcony rooms than the newer ships, therefore, you may actually pay more for a balcony on this ship vs. Anthem or Freedom.

I was actually on Deck 3 on my last cruise earlier this year. I had a live thread, if you want a link to it, let me know. I was far aft interior. One warning about the last cabins on this floor (and may deck 2 or 4, not 100% sure). On every cruise supposedly, the crew has a huge party. It was only 1 night, but it sounded like there was a club next door (I was the very last cabin). I suspect it may only affect that last cabins, and maybe the cabin next to mine, but the bass permeated through the wall like tissue. It kept going till 2:30am. Just a fair warning for those rooms.

Thank you so much. I was following your April cruise thread and got a lot of great info from it.

I went with deck 7.

We are going on our 4th.Grandeur cruise in December .This will be our 4th.December cruise .We book the same cabin every time .It is an OV .

We tried an inside cabin once (not on the Grandeur) and said never again .We need to see the ocean when we wake up.

Hi Lenny. Thanks for your 2 cents.

My first time on the Grandeur was also in an interior.

We always ask that our beds be separated. Makes the cabin much more open and easier to get around.

The above comments are our personal opinions, others might disagree.

Good tip about the beds. Thanks.

OP, funny you should ask.....we just booked our 7th Grandeur cruise. We obviously like the ship and the port of Baltimore.

We like seeing the sea, so we prefer OV cabins. The only ones we would avoid are the far forward ones, which have portholes rather than windows. I see the reference to the "sideways" inside cabins; they do seem to have more space, so they might be desirable, too.

I don't agree that a balcony is a must. We had a balcony once in 40+ cruises, and only used it one time on the 10-night cruise. And on Grandeur, unlike some cruises, there is a vast difference in price.

I also don't agree with the "rust bucket" reference. It is clean, well maintained, and has excellent crew.

Our most recent cruise was on Veendam. She is much smaller than Grandeur, and she felt smaller. We like them both, but in different ways.

Grandeur continues to sell out on virtually all her cruises; there must be something good about her!

I have to agree to that fact!

We went with an OV .

We had an oceanview on deck 2 and it was great! I worried about being on 2, but it was so convenient on port days and we never had a problem grabbing an elevator. As others have mentioned, the showers have a shower curtain. Grandeur is an older ship but the layout is great and staff is (by leaps and bounds) the best we’ve had on Royal.

Thanks! DH has the same opinion about lower deck rooms...one doesn't have to worry about grabbing elevators on port days.

I prefer higher decks......somehow makes me think I am above the water..LOL!:D

We have cruised on the Grandeur 17 times and have 6 more cruises booked on her. Needless to say, she’s our favorite ship. I love the smaller ships without all the bells and whistles. I like that you can see the ocean from almost every venue and love the outside Promenade deck on 5. I spend my afternoons sitting there, out of the sun.

We have cruised mostly inside cabins, but, upgrade when the price is right. Splurged for our 50th Anniversary and booked a corner aft JS on deck 7 ( with a walk in closet). It was great. Last December, we booked a balcony guarantee and was assigned an accessible balcony.....best cabin ever. It was huge and had a huge bathroom. I am happy with any cabin, as long as I’m on the ship! I’m easy to please......

Gwen [emoji3]

Thanks Gwen!

I did not remember the deck 5 promenade. I would love that!

Happy 50th Anniversary!

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great information and thoughts. Apologies if I did not answer anyone's post individually.

I booked an OV on deck 3, then within a few hours saw a POV open up on deck 7 and made the move.:)

I was actually on Deck 3 on my last cruise earlier this year. I had a live thread, if you want a link to it, let me know. I was far aft interior. One warning about the last cabins on this floor (and may deck 2 or 4, not 100% sure). On every cruise supposedly, the crew has a huge party. It was only 1 night, but it sounded like there was a club next door (I was the very last cabin). I suspect it may only affect that last cabins, and maybe the cabin next to mine, but the bass permeated through the wall like tissue. It kept going till 2:30am. Just a fair warning for those rooms.

I’d love the link to your live thread!:D

Are you planning a Grandeur cruise ? We have one in December and may do an NCL in January on the Escape.

Take care,

Lenny

Yes!

But not the December one (as much as I would love to), since that is a very busy time for us.

We've stayed in suites on Grandeur and there are curtains not doors in the shower.

But in the Grand Suites and the Main Bedroom bath in Royal Family Suites (now 2 bedroom Grand suite), it is tub/shower combo, not a shower stall.

If you are looking for a floating amusement park, then Grandeur may not be the best choice for you.

If you want just enjoy being on a cruise, with one of the best staff/crew, then it is the right choice.

We sailed on her last August. Had such a terrible time, we booked the same cruise for this year, in the SAME CABIN. :D And then booked another one for 2019, also in the same cabin.

That was my second cruise on her, first for my SO. We love her.

if you are looking for a floating amusement park, then grandeur may not be the best choice for you.

If you want just enjoy being on a cruise, with one of the best staff/crew, then it is the right choice.

We sailed on her last august. had such a terrible time, we booked the same cruise for this year, in the same cabin. :d and then booked another one for 2019, also in the same cabin.

That was my second cruise on her, first for my so. We love her.

lol! :d

GR is older, so of course there will be rust and general wear and tear. shabby is relative. we always find her to be immaculately kept and thats more important to us than a few signs of age.

Agree. Up keep of these older ships is pretty good, they don't do maintenance at Dry Docks. All year round they replace carpet, sand/refinish all wood railings, replace furniture and touch up paint...