Questions for those with multiple age kids / kids club / walking around

Hi, we set sail next week (!!!) on the Independence. Traveling with 5 kids of various ages. Curious if anyone knows:

- Is RCCL flexible with allowing kids who are in different age brackets to move? (i.e. we have two kids who are 5 and one who is 6, we would love them to be together. We also have one son who is just shy of 11 and another who is 13 and they do everything together)

- How old can kids be to just walk around on their own? Can my almost 11 year old hang out and walk around with his brother?

Any must-do activities great for the whole family on board?

Thanks! Jen

Thanks!

During spring break and summer, you can expect them to be very strict ages. Curfew is 1 am. However kids who are disruptive will be held by security u til mom and dad come and get them, with a stern warning that further incidents will result in being booted from the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My kids will most definitely not be out until 1am, and they are extremely well behaved. Not sure this answers what I was looking for. I was just wondering if my almost 11 year old can walk around the ship during the day with his brother.

During spring break and summer, you can expect them to be very strict ages. Curfew is 1 am. However kids who are disruptive will be held by security u til mom and dad come and get them, with a stern warning that further incidents will result in being booted from the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kids can sign themselves out of Adventure Ocean with parental approval starting at age 9. Not a big fan of letting kids just “roam” - they should have a specific destination. A periodic spot check might be in order. Doubt they will let the 5 year old move up - more likely the older child will be permitted to move down if not too crowded.

My kids will most definitely not be out until 1am, and they are extremely well behaved. Not sure this answers what I was looking for. I was just wondering if my almost 11 year old can walk around the ship during the day with his brother.

Yes, your 10 yr old can walk around the ship with the 13 yr old, absolutely no problem. As far as moving the 10 yr old up into the teen program with the 13 yr old, that won't happen. The teen program combines all the kids together a lot of the time and they will not let a 10 yr old hang out with the 17 yr olds.

Adventure Ocean will most likely let your 6 yr old move down, not the 5 yr olds move up.

We let our kids wander around the ship when they were that age as long as they stayed together. It was no problem. We had a set meeting time and place and they had to check in with us periodically. They loved the freedom and we never had any problem. They never would go to the kids club at that age....but this was years ago. They have improved them significantly. We must have done something right as they are now adults and they still want to go with us cruising. We are taking our granddaughter on her 2nd cruise with us this fall. She loves it, but we make her go to the kids club as we can't keep up with her otherwise! Some kids love the kids clubs, ours didn't so we didn't force it. We just had rules--they had a budget and could buy what they wanted as long as they kept their budget. It was always fun watching them try and decide how to spend their money. Just make sure you are aware the kids can go into the arcade and run up a big bill if you don't limit them!

Kids can sign themselves out of Adventure Ocean with parental approval starting at age 9. Not a big fan of letting kids just “roam” - they should have a specific destination. A periodic spot check might be in order. Doubt they will let the 5 year old move up - more likely the older child will be permitted to move down if not too crowded.

thank you for the info!

We let our kids wander around the ship when they were that age as long as they stayed together. It was no problem. We had a set meeting time and place and they had to check in with us periodically. They loved the freedom and we never had any problem. They never would go to the kids club at that age....but this was years ago. They have improved them significantly. We must have done something right as they are now adults and they still want to go with us cruising. We are taking our granddaughter on her 2nd cruise with us this fall. She loves it, but we make her go to the kids club as we can't keep up with her otherwise! Some kids love the kids clubs, ours didn't so we didn't force it. We just had rules--they had a budget and could buy what they wanted as long as they kept their budget. It was always fun watching them try and decide how to spend their money. Just make sure you are aware the kids can go into the arcade and run up a big bill if you don't limit them!

thank you for this helpful info!

Thank you!

Thank you, this is very helpful! I wouldn't want my 10 year old with 17 year olds so that makes sense! ;) This is a tough age lol.

Yes, your 10 yr old can walk around the ship with the 13 yr old, absolutely no problem. As far as moving the 10 yr old up into the teen program with the 13 yr old, that won't happen. The teen program combines all the kids together a lot of the time and they will not let a 10 yr old hang out with the 17 yr olds.

Adventure Ocean will most likely let your 6 yr old move down, not the 5 yr olds move up.

You're the parent, is it ok with you? I'd say as long as they aren't misbehaving nothing will be said. Have a great cruise.

They will be fine. Just make sure you set very definite rules. Ship is no different than a small city. Make sure you set times to meet, check in with them, etc. Reinforce rules about "strangers" also things like going into cabins of other passengers, even other kids - they don't really "know" them. Also, make sure they understand that their Seapass card doesn't mean things are free! Many kids don't comprehend that arcade games, shops, etc. are not free as they don't need money.

Good Lord. Booted off the ship. That happens ALOT. Jeez Ok so I have kids from 16-8 and we were on the Anthem. 16,15, 11, 8. My two older girls 16, and 15 had their own stateroom and I only saw them at dinner. They would occasionally let their 11 year old brother hang with them in the seaplex. I would also let the girls take their 8 year old brother with them. A couple of times we let the 11 year old take the 8 year old directly to the seaplex and back with a specific time to return--no deviations. We also let the boys go to Sorrento's to get pizza (which by the way they frequently brought to the MDR with them). Rules included not going in any else's stateroom and no one in their stateroom.

I can't really comment too much about the cross over of ages in the kids club. Sadly my 8 year old didn't want to hang there.

You are going to have the best time. My 15 year old pulled her sweatshirt over he head and cried off an on for the 1.5 hour drive home...she loved it.

Thank you... all good things to remember!

They will be fine. Just make sure you set very definite rules. Ship is no different than a small city. Make sure you set times to meet, check in with them, etc. Reinforce rules about "strangers" also things like going into cabins of other passengers, even other kids - they don't really "know" them. Also, make sure they understand that their Seapass card doesn't mean things are free! Many kids don't comprehend that arcade games, shops, etc. are not free as they don't need money.

Thanks for this info!

Good Lord. Booted off the ship. That happens ALOT. Jeez Ok so I have kids from 16-8 and we were on the Anthem. 16,15, 11, 8. My two older girls 16, and 15 had their own stateroom and I only saw them at dinner. They would occasionally let their 11 year old brother hang with them in the seaplex. I would also let the girls take their 8 year old brother with them. A couple of times we let the 11 year old take the 8 year old directly to the seaplex and back with a specific time to return--no deviations. We also let the boys go to Sorrento's to get pizza (which by the way they frequently brought to the MDR with them). Rules included not going in any else's stateroom and no one in their stateroom.

I can't really comment too much about the cross over of ages in the kids club. Sadly my 8 year old didn't want to hang there.

You are going to have the best time. My 15 year old pulled her sweatshirt over he head and cried off an on for the 1.5 hour drive home...she loved it.