Alaska MDR dinner food

sambamama

I am booked on the Volendam May 14 for my first Alaska cruise. I hate salmon- it's one of the few fish I dislike. Will there be other seafood items on the menu? I eat chicken all the time at home and hope I don't get stuck ordering from the fixed menu every night.

Thanks. Tilapia, snapper and halibut are fine. It would be great to see sea bass, tuna, crab legs and swordfish, but I doubt it since they have gotten so expensive.

You are correct to think they likely will not be serving those pricey fish. I love sea bass, tuna, swordfish but dont see it on HAL menus.

But, salmon is my favorite fish. :o

They had at least the sea bass and swordfish on my Panama Canal cruise last spring. Before I order I always check out the fish first as well as any seafood. Each night there were 2 - 3 types of fish offered and usually at least one item like shrimp, scollops or such. (That was in addition to the large shrimp (with lettuce and cocktail sauce) offered on the everyday menu.

I loved the sea bass, not so enthusiastic about the swordfish.

Thanks. Tilapia, snapper and halibut are fine. It would be great to see sea bass, tuna, crab legs and swordfish, but I doubt it since they have gotten so expensive.

They had at least the sea bass and swordfish on my Panama Canal cruise last spring. Before I order I always check out the fish first as well as any seafood. Each night there were 2 - 3 types of fish offered and usually at least one item like shrimp, scollops or such. (That was in addition to the large shrimp (with lettuce and cocktail sauce) offered on the everyday menu.

I loved the sea bass, not so enthusiastic about the swordfish.

I eat a lot of fish but some HAL menus have offered varieties of fish I've never heard of. :eek:

Being from New England, I'm used to wonderful broiled scallops and admit to avoiding them IF I ever see them on the menu. I can't say I've ever seen them though. I likely just skipped by when reading as I knew I wouldn't order them on board. That's actually what I had for dinner New Year's Eve this year and they were wonderful!

I am booked on the Volendam May 14 for my first Alaska cruise. I hate salmon- it's one of the few fish I dislike. Will there be other seafood items on the menu? I eat chicken all the time at home and hope I don't get stuck ordering from the fixed menu every night.

In addition to salmon there is usually at least one other seafood entree which could include tilapia, etc. There is usually a beef entree, pasta, etc. so you have lots of choices. I, too, go for the seafood, and rarely did I eat off the "available" everyday side - but I do love salmon!

Karen

I used to hate salmon until my first Alaska cruise when I tasted fresh wild-caught Alaskan salmon. I learned there are several kinds of salmon and knowing what you are eating makes the difference. I have since learned that Alaskan salmon has a milder flavor than north Atlantic salmon.

Try the Alaskan salmon served onboard. If you still hate it you can always order another entree.

On my recent Noordam cruise I decided to eat from the vegetarian menu most days. I really enjoyed the meals.

• 3 months later...

Actually the dinner menus are very much the same fleetwide. There are some variations but for the most part dinners on a 7 day Caribbean cruise is much like dinner for a 7 day Alaska cruise.

Again, as I mentioned, there are some exceptions.

Do they still serve lobster in one of the night in the MDR? I know I am dreaming...

Thanks.

Yes. :)

The last formal night they always serve lobster tails.

I haven't seen this addressed but in past cruises (the last about 6 years ago) we were able to order more than one entree or side. It made my sons very happy, especially if they didn't like something. Does that still hold true?

I haven't seen this addressed but in past cruises (the last about 6 years ago) we were able to order more than one entree or side. It made my sons very happy, especially if they didn't like something. Does that still hold true?

No limit on what quantities you can order off the MDR menu. We prefer two lobster tails on surf-n-turf night and no turf.

They will have a steak option. Yes you can getbas much as u want. Sometimes ill take an entree and the sides from another.

I eat a lot of fish but some HAL menus have offered varieties of fish I've never heard of. :eek:

This.

Basa- a vietnamese river fish....no thanks....same with swai

Tilapia- farm raised to çlean the tanks of other higher value fish...clean what? google dirty jobs with Mike Rowe and tilapia. no thanks.

I like fish but I also like to know what I am eating. JMO, if you like it no offense meant. To each their own.