Quick Pride 2.0 Review

budverge

We are going on our first Carnival cruise in March 2016. Our first cruise was in March 2014 on Royal Caribbean. We are in the older group (69 & 73). DW will be using a scooter going forward. I have found that there is a lot of negative postings on CC about both lines. I could let these postings scare me off cruising completely or just go with the intention of enjoying myself regardless of what other people say. We did that this year & I have now become addicted to cruising. I sailed again in October & I have 3 more booked including the 14 day on Pride in March 2016. I'm kind of excited trying another ship but also nervous about something new to me. Do many people post positive remarks about this ship?

Hi PTAngel. My expectations and excitement of sailing on the Pride were as high as they could possibly be. 20 something cruises and this is the first one that let us down. Aside from meeting tons of wonderful people, and the food being pretty good, I have nothing positive to say. I only hope, that they rectify all of the problems by the time the ship goes back to Baltimore. I will never, ever cruise out of Tampa again.

We only cruise out of Baltimore as hubby doesn't fly. I have nothing to compare it to but it has been easy & quick going through there. I would be wary of using another port. I'm still looking forward to a different ship & new ports of call.

hi did you ever wonder why rcl and ncl. seem to do fine at the port of tampa. maybe it has something to do with carnival and not the port of tampa.not enought help for carnival ships???

We sailed out of Tampa with NCL over Thanksgiving, 2013. Horrible experience with Tampa. Waited loooonngg time to board, finally boarded apprx 3pm. Supposedly, the previous cruise picked up passengers in Belize and that caused everyone to go thru customs? I thought everyone had to go thru customs? Lousy excuse. Went to self disembark, stood in line for 2+ hours, not enough customs people.

Does the Pride still have the same crappy decor? Renaissance inspired wallpaper? Dark Shadows themed common spaces?

It is pretty dreary. Some of the art in the elevators has been vandalized and not fixed. ie: nipples scraped off leaving just a white mark. This can easily be masked with a dark marker but it's so obvious because it is white. The only nice places are the new areas. The rest of the ship looks old. Even our cabin felt dated and it was an OS. Big stain on the carpet and the changing room sliding pocket door was broken.

Wow, lots of negativity here. I was on the 12/7 Pride cruise and completely enjoyed myself. The embarkation was very late but we left port at about the same time as the NCL and HAL ships sailed and we arrived in Mexico on time. I have sailed from Tampa without any delays, so it can be done, weather permitting. The words horrible, terrible and tacky used in other comments here did not match anything that I saw.

How much a person likes the decor or the entertainment is pretty subjective. If you liked the Pride decor before the 2.0 change you will still like it. As for the entertainment, I thought the Hasbro Show was barely entertaining but the other shows are at least pretty good or better.

This dry dock was not a total ship rehab and there is a little wear here and there but the 2.0 Upgrades were all nice, especially Guys Burger Joint which was delicious and filling. I also enjoyed the Blue Iguana and Alchemy bar.

The Punchliner Club is a must-do nearly every night.

I guess that I saw the glass as half full and not half empty. Only the lack of a ship with a seven night itinerary in Tampa would make me rule the port out. Did I mention that the price was much better than anything offered by the competition?

It is pretty dreary. Some of the art in the elevators has been vandalized and not fixed. ie: nipples scraped off leaving just a white mark. This can easily be masked with a dark marker but it's so obvious because it is white. The only nice places are the new areas. The rest of the ship looks old. Even our cabin felt dated and it was an OS. Big stain on the carpet and the changing room sliding pocket door was broken.

I can't believe that in dry dock they didn't re-wallpaper at least! Maybe this ship is not long for the fleet.

We sail on the Pride about once a year. It is without a doubt the tackiest ugly ship afloat. Cannot imagine what they were thinking when this ship was built.

The ship itself is more than fine - it is the decor. Swap out the wall paper, get rid of the Dark Shadows look - cosmetic changes and she'd be awesome.

I would point to those Baltimore hooligans LOL.

Pride was one of 7 Carnival ships that recently passed CDC inspection 100%.

I think I will ignore dreary wall-paper and chipped veneer.

Edited by cruisecrazytoo
grammer

hi i wonder if carnival reads the reviews about the pride?? why do they let this go on?

It seems to me that each time a ship comes out of dry dock, similar complaints are raised the first few weeks of sailings. You have a short dry dock period and a lot of new crew joining that have not been on that ship before, so it takes a few weeks to get things together. I also see that it seems like the first few sailings after dry dock are more expensive then others, as people always seem to be first one on after dry dock. I believe as long as people are jumping at the chance to get on these ships first after dry dock, Carnival will not worry about these issues on the first few sailings. The only way to have Carnival react is if people would not book sailings for a few weeks after dry dock, then carnival would get the message and make sure everything is up to speed on the first sailing

Yikes. My fiancée and I are getting married on the pride at the end of October and now I'm pretty nervous about it. The only other cruise we have done is one on the Splendor which we really enjoyed but now I'm just nervous that this will be a disappointment. :(

Take what you read here with a grain of salt. We've learned that people are more opt to post complaints than praises. We've never had a bad cruise. Some are better than others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a great time on the Pride for the Christmas 2014 cruise. We loved the decor, especially the Normandie Dining room. People complain about the Miracle being too gaudy and now the Pride is too dark. The complainers are the vocal minority- most of us cruise and have a great time so don't post as much. We were 7 hours delayed in Grand Cayman due to 2 medical emergencies but were only 1 hour late into Tampa- great job Captain. No problems with embarking or disembarkation- we did self assist for the first time- easy. I know Carnival is not perfect- but neither is life. Keep smiling!

Some of the art in the elevators has been vandalized and not fixed. ie: nipples scraped off leaving just a white mark. This can easily be masked with a dark marker but it's so obvious because it is white.

I am bringing markers with me in March - maybe I'll make a midnight run in the elevators and colour in the nipples.