Laundry rooms

weluvcruisin'

If you are under 5'2", you will have a difficult time seeing if all socks, etc. have been removed from the dryer. It's like the safes in the rooms---made for tall people.

The laundry rooms on each floor are great. But would you believe that we had lines on the Riviera and people got a little testy with one another?! We were remaining in Europe for another 3 weeks so we had to do laundry towards the end of the MV. Guess others had similar plans.

It is handy to have the self-service laundry AND the iron and ironing board. I can't remember whether we had to supply our own detergent. Does anyone know?

On Regatta and Nautica, there is a detergent dispenser that injects the detergent directly into the washing machine when you press a button (unless it has been updated since I last used one). On Marina and Riviera, the detergent is dispensed into a cup (like a measuring cup) that you then pour into a little drawer on the front of the machine.

Watch out for any Dragon Ladies though. I ran into a couple of them on the Insignia in February and they were not about to allow me into the laundry room to pick up my clothes from the dryer. Their policy was, you had to stay in the laundry room the entire time you were doing your laundry or else you could not do it. Fortunately most of the other passengers were amused and quietly called them the Dragon Ladies.:D

early in the AM..say 7 to 7:30 and you should be just about first! Also you need to get "tokens" from the reception deck on Marina for the soap dispenser. LuAnn

Are they charging for their soap now?? We were just on the MV of the Riviera and the laundry was free so I am unaware of the costs these days.

Watch out for any Dragon Ladies though. I ran into a couple of them on the Insignia in February and they were not about to allow me into the laundry room to pick up my clothes from the dryer. Their policy was, you had to stay in the laundry room the entire time you were doing your laundry or else you could not do it. Fortunately most of the other passengers were amused and quietly called them the Dragon Ladies.

They were very fortunate that no one punched them out! Who appointed them Guardians of the Laundry Room anyway?

And I'm curious as to what function preventing people from collecting their laundry accomplishes ... other than preventing later arrivals from doing THEIR laundry!

Mura

... Also you need to get "tokens" from the reception deck on Marina for the soap dispenser. LuAnn

LuAnn, you don't mean for the soap dispenser, do you? The tokens are for the washing machine and dryer -- unless Marina has had a major do-over in the laundry room!

They were very fortunate that no one punched them out! Who appointed them Guardians of the Laundry Room anyway?

And I'm curious as to what function preventing people from collecting their laundry accomplishes ... other than preventing later arrivals from doing THEIR laundry!

Mura

Mura, They were self appointed and enough passengers made comments to the Cruise Director that as soon as the laundry room became busy, they had staff watching to make sure the Dragon Ladies behaved.

They were just annoyed that they had to wait for the dryers as they were occupied and were on a total power trip. Once I laughed at them and told them they could have a dryer if they let me take my clothes out they moved so that I could get in. They started to lecture me about leaving the laundry room and I very quickly told them that there comments were unnecessary and totally out of line and gave them the look that quells most of my university students I teach and they backed off. Everyone else was waiting in the hallway for them to leave the room. As soon I got my laundry put into my cabin I let the front desk know there was going to be an explosion of tempers in the laundry room and they had an officer go down to diffuse it. I heard from a couple of passengers later that the Dragon Ladies were quite put out when the officer appeared and asked what was going on that so many people were complaining. Quite a few of us made sure that we were not doing our laundry after that when those two ladies if you could call them that were in the laundry room. I can laugh now, but they were really quite rude and obnoxious.

taking someone's laundry out of the washer or dryer if 10 mins has passed and they haven't shown up. I do a light folding job of wrinkle-ables for them if out of the dryer.

I am extremely diligent and note the time I put it in and have always been back before the machine stops...and the dryer will say it will take X amount of mins, and will often take longer...so then I wait for it to finish.

I wish the machines worked with your O card,( and charge your on board account) and the machine could display the room # of who is using the machine, so you could try calling them if they didn't show up, but I guess that will never happen!

I don't believe you should have to wait in the laundry room, just be considerate.

Watch out for any Dragon Ladies though. I ran into a couple of them on the Insignia in February and they were not about to allow me into the laundry room to pick up my clothes from the dryer. Their policy was, you had to stay in the laundry room the entire time you were doing your laundry or else you could not do it. Fortunately most of the other passengers were amused and quietly called them the Dragon Ladies.:D

We were on the Nautica in April, there were more than a couple of Dragon Ladies may be they were sisters. Unbelievable how nasty some women were about laundry...

Mura, They were self appointed and enough passengers made comments to the Cruise Director that as soon as the laundry room became busy, they had staff watching to make sure the Dragon Ladies behaved.

It sounds like you handled it better than I would have!

I've heard comments like this from other cruises, so I guess it happens more than I would like to think although I've never encountered it myself.

Good for you to get an officer down there to quell the rebellion!

So silly, we're talking about LAUNDRY here!

I will say that we don't sit and wait EVER. But we do make sure to come back before a load is finished. I understand the exasperation coming from people who put in their laundry but don't bother to return in time. That happens all the time in our residence, usually the culprits are nannies ... but sometimes they are owners. (We are in a Coop in NYC.) It's really frustrating to encounter a completed load that no one has bothered to attend to.

In that case I don't mind emptying out their machine and putting my laundry IN. But it creates a backlog for the dryers which can be a real problem in our small laundry room.

But announcing that you are not allowed into the laundry room to empty your machine is clearly NOT the answer!

Mura

LuAnn, you don't mean for the soap dispenser, do you? The tokens are for the washing machine and dryer -- unless Marina has had a major do-over in the laundry room!

You're RIGHT!!! :o:o They were for the machines!!! Oh...these senior moments...they are SUCH bummers!! :D LuAnn

Just off the Riviera. You need to purchase tokens from the Reception desk. They provide two tokens for $4. One token is for the wash and the second is for the dryer. The soap is free.

The soap dispenser is on the wall and you need to push the button (no token needed) to dispense it into a measuring cup. You have no control as to how much soap comes out. It's bizarre. The soap fills the measuring cup up to the top and foams over like a beer with a head. It is difficult to remove the cup with the soap since the plastic tube goes deep into the cup. Everyone spills some detergent trying to remove the cup with the detergent no matter how careful you are. They placed a towel underneath the dispenser to catch the overflow. You then place the soap into the washing machine drawer for the detergent. Really bad design on the soap dispenser. It's actually comical watching everyone try to figure out what to do.

Any questions, please. It's my first time in Oceania. Do I need dollars or I can get tokens charged to my account on board? It´s a European cruise and don´t need dollars in any port.

The tokens are charged to your on board account. You do not pay for them in cash at reception.

Archived