Scopolamine patches Anthem

tonto524

Does anyone know if these are available at the medical center on the Anthem? Apparently they are in short supply in FL and I have a friend who is worried about sailing without one. She knows she would have to pay for a dr visit. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know if these are available at the medical center on the Anthem? Apparently they are in short supply in FL and I have a friend who is worried about sailing without one. She knows she would have to pay for a dr visit. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do have meclizine (Bonine) onboard, but no you can't get the patch. Scopolamine is prescription only. I use Bonine and I bring my own. I had the Scopolamine patch for the first time ever just over a month ago when I had gallbladder surgery and I told them I get motion sick. They put something in my IV and put the patch on before surgery and I had no nausea. It was my first surgery, other than dental. I took it off after 48 hours with no issues. It did dilate my pupils which I know is a side effect, but that resolved itself. I don't think I'd ever use it on a cruise.

Has your friend actually tried to get it or has she just heard it's in short supply?

I heard they discontinued them.

You heard "who" discontinued them? There's zero info on that when I google it and as I said I had one just over a month ago. Apparently they have been on backorder as recently as August.

Apparently that rumor pops up here on CC every once in a while and it's not true.

I heard they discontinued them.

You heard "who" discontinued them? There's zero info on that when I google it and as I said I had one just over a month ago. Apparently they have been on backorder as recently as August.

Apparently that rumor pops up here on CC every once in a while and it's not true.

Not sure, but maybe he/she was saying Royal discontinued them on the ships?

dr'spin is a physician IRL and prone to seasick. He found that the generic was unavailable before our recent cruise, but the branded TransDermScop was available through CostCoPharmacy, mailorder. You do not have to be a member to use CostCo pharmacy! They are quite expensive, but so is your cruise. Each patch is good for three days, so figure out how many you need.

I would also point out that larger ships are much less prone to "tossin' and turnin' ". I imagine the Anthem is rather like a rock in the sea! We did a TransAtlantic on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam -- significantly smaller than the Anthem -- and dr'spin had not a twinge of seasick. (It may have helped that the ocean was like a lake for most of it!)

I would also point out that larger ships are much less prone to "tossin' and turnin' ". I imagine the Anthem is rather like a rock in the sea! We did a TransAtlantic on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam -- significantly smaller than the Anthem -- and dr'spin had not a twinge of seasick. (It may have helped that the ocean was like a lake for most of it!)

Many have reported Anthem doesn't handle rough seas as well as Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships. We have definitely felt a tendency to corkscrew. This should not be an issue on Canada / NE sailings however as ship keeps relatively close to shore.

Regardless of the size of the ship, it's still a lot smaller than the ocean, so waves will affect motion. We have found that the narrower the ship, the more movement is felt as the rolls are quicker. But, ships move when the water moves and everyone has their motion. What makes one person sick might not impact another person, but a different motion will.

My DH (retired US Navy Capt) has seen people who have sailed for years and never been sick lose it in a particular storm or motion. As he says, everyone has their motion and just because you haven't been sick doesn't mean you can't or won't in the future when you find the motion that will.

Interesting about the Anthem in particular. I heard the saying, "Everyone has their wave" on recent cruise to AK; we encountered some of them in the Bay.

We were on Anthem 2.5 years ago and will be again next month. I didn't notice anything different about the motion. Now, we didn't have rough seas, but what I have noticed is that people who are used to cruising out of FL just aren't used to having to go down the eastern seaboard. Cruising out of NJ is different and 8 foot waves are the norm most of the way. Unlike cruising out of FL, where 8 foot waves are usually only around when there is a storm. I've also learned what people think is rough is relative. We've been on GR several times when seas are 6-10 feet and there's always a few people talking about how "rough" it is. No, rough is the 30 foot waves we had on GR, 6-8-10 foot waves are very common when cruising from the north.