Getting your food to-go?

Hello! We are cruising on the Anthem of the Seas in September. It's our second time on the ship but the first time was only a three day cruise to nowhere over three years ago with only one kid. Since my husband and I were traveling with my girlfriends, he would frequently leave with ourson if he was over dinner.

This time we are traveling alone as a family with a 2-year old and our son, who is 7 and in a wheelchair. Our focus isn't food but we remember the MDR to be truly bad.

I am thinking of getting the specialty dining package and then doing as we normally do and getting our food to go if the kids become unruly. Is that possible in the specialty dining restaurants generally? At home we sometimes get through apps and then the entrees are packed up.

I know that's not possible at Wonderland or Chefs Table- Where we wouldn't take the kids anyway - but would the others pack you up?

Our focus isn't food but we remember the MDR to be truly bad.

Anthem no longer has Dynamic Dining (nor cruises to nowehere - which may have negatively affected the MDR) which you experienced last time - I would give the MDR another shot via MTD.

not really. there are no to go containers. most specialty venues would say, wrap up dessert for you with the same domes they use for RS delivery, there are also no trays for you to pile all the dishes on to schlep back to the cabin.

at $7.95 per order, the room service menu Ain't half bad. ( if you are in a suite, there is no charge)

not really. there are no to go containers. most specialty venues would say, wrap up dessert for you with the same domes they use for RS delivery, there are also no trays for you to pile all the dishes on to schlep back to the cabin.

at $7.95 per order, the room service menu Ain't half bad. ( if you are in a suite, there is no charge)

They will happily put plate covers on each plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The plate with a dome, is a to go container. You don't need a different container, to carry home, just to your room. I don't think the poster is concerned with carrying food from a specialty restaurant to the room. They are more concerned with having their kids at the restaurant, and they want to eat the food, without disturbing others.

I don't think the 9 oz filet in Chops, can compare to the chicken fingers on the room service menu.

... there are also no trays for you to pile all the dishes on to schlep back to the cabin.

The first time you order room service, put the empty tray in your closet. The next time you want to go get food to go, you will have a carry tray available.

They will happily put plate covers on each plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

true, Carol, but I was more referring to a container that seals shut like the styrofoam containers at most restaurants that at least pretend to keep the contents secure. closest I have ever seen were the bento boxes at Izumi.

I personally find the plate covers unwieldy at best. I couldn't imagine trying to wrangle several plus a wheelchair and toddler.

We do take out sushi from Izumi at least once on every cruise - and they pack out sushi in traditional "to go" boxes. DW has had an occasional bout of mal de mer on cruises, and we have had no problem getting meals to go from the MDR or WJ. We've also cruised with the grand kids, and the MDR waitstaff was very happy to pack their meals under a cloche to go. Sometimes in the WJ we just grab a second dinner plate and put it over the meal. I like the idea of snagging a room service tray, but they might not understand if you brought it into a dining venue with you.

Things like this are often different from ship to ship. But I have seen the crew on every ship I've sailed bend over backward to comply with some truly stupid requests in the past. As this is quite the opposite of a stupid request, I can't imagine they wouldn't help you out, even if it's something they don't normally offer on that ship.

Thanks everyone! That is very helpful. It seems like we will have options. I initially was going to just do the MDR because I didn't think it made sense to spend all that money on a meal that might be cut short - and pay for the kids to boot - but having the kids be free or only $10 and the packages make it make a little more sense to me.

It's good to know that we will have some options in both the specialty restaurants and the MDR if things go south. The last thing we want to do is to ruin the dinner for other guests. We'll have one parent wait for the the food while the other absconds with the offending child :-)

Things like this are often different from ship to ship. But I have seen the crew on every ship I've sailed bend over backward to comply with some truly stupid requests in the past. As this is quite the opposite of a stupid request, I can't imagine they wouldn't help you out, even if it's something they don't normally offer on that ship.

Here is photographic evidence that they will serve peanut butter on a playing card, if requested. (an extra tip was involved too, and we provided the playing cards). So I think you are safe to assume they will help make it possible to take food back to your cabin.

http://public.fotki.com/tashamike/travels/cruise2009/dscf4016-jpg.html