10/8/2018 10 night Canada cruise on Gem missing?

calmpets

Our original 10 day October 8th cruise is being cancelled but we like the replacement Gem cruise on October 8th better. Cruise is now 12 day one way cruise from Quebec City to New York. We do not leave Quebec City until 8 pm day after boarding. We don't lose any port stops and we gain two additional days and six additional port stops. Fare is protected.

My email came this morning.... it came from donotreply instead of NCL so if you didn't receive an email check your spam folder.

This is what NCL shows (in email attachment) as the itinerary for the replacement October 8th Gem cruise

Mon Oct 8 Quebec City embark and overnight

Tues Oct 9 depart Quebec City at 8 pm

Wed Oct 10 Saguenay (La Baie) Quebec 8 to 5

Thur Oct 11 At Sea

Fri Oct 12 Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 8 to 5

Sat Oct 13 Sydney, Nova Scotia 8 to 5

Sun Oct 14. Halifax, Nova Scotia 8 to 5

Mon Oct 15. Saint John, Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick 10 to 6

Tues Oct 16 Portland, Maine 8 to 5

Wed Oct 17 Bar Harbor Maine 8 to 5

Thurs Oct 18 Boston, MA. 8 to 4

Fri Oct 19 At Sea

Sat Oct 20 New York

Our October 1st Pacific Coast is now canceled as well. When I called NCL the other day as the cruise went missing the person on the telephone told me it was sold out. Today the dreaded email arrived and the cruise is canceled. Disappointed yes, especially as I have to deal with the airline and cancellation of the great price tickets. I already canceled our hotel. The expensive Bliss is not an option. The price per person is double, yep double what we paid for the Pearl. The substitute cruise is not even showing. Perhaps they will cancel that one as well.

We were booked on the 10 day New York to Quebec City October 8th and are now booked on the new 12 day itinerary for the Gem Quebec City to New York also sailing October 8th. I called the number shown on the email received from donotreply (NCL), gave them my booking number and said we wanted to change to the new itinerary. Be prepared for a wait .... I played bridge online while I held for about an hour. The person who helped me was a little confused at first but we got through it. We were not able to keep our originally booked stateroom but did get another sideways interior in same area so are ok with that. Be prepared with a deck plan in front of you in case you run into the same situation. They honored the cruise fare price without any problem. The new beverage promo charge was based on 20% of the new $89 per day rate if you purchase beverage package but I was able to have promo charge revised to 18% of $79 per day since that was rate in effect when we booked. She said fare is protected but agreed to protect the promo service charge as well.

We did lose the voyage of distinction or whatever they called it promos ($50 per port shore excursion credit, phone call credit, internet minutes) since not a promotion on the replacement cruise itinerary. This is not a big deal to us . Our booking number did not change and I can see our booking on ncl.com.

Good news is that the cruise (reservation number didn't change) once again shows on my ncl.com and the itinerary is as listed in the attachment to the email received this morning. Hope this itinerary "sticks" because we love it.

KJQ, I looked on NCL website. Looks to me like the new itinerary hasn't been released yet for general booking, probably since they want those who had cruise disruptions/cancellations to get a stab at this first, thru the date they gave us (Jan 22) before they start general booking-maybe I'm wrong but that makes sense to me.

I am like you, this is what I will be looking at too. Not a bad trade;) Shhh!

Our October 1st Pacific Coast is now canceled as well. When I called NCL the other day as the cruise went missing the person on the telephone told me it was sold out. Today the dreaded email arrived and the cruise is canceled. Disappointed yes, especially as I have to deal with the airline and cancellation of the great price tickets. I already canceled our hotel. The expensive Bliss is not an option. The price per person is double, yep double what we paid for the Pearl. The substitute cruise is not even showing. Perhaps they will cancel that one as well.

I'm booked on the Pearl for the Pacific Coast too. I wasn't able to call before they closed tonight. Do you know anything about the 9 night cruise they are offering? Is it still sailing from Vancouver? Ports? I'm desperate for answers. I doubt I will sleep much tonight. I also had flights booked and had spent a lot of time looking for a deal on a hotel in LA for a week after our cruise.

I'm booked on the Pearl for the Pacific Coast too. I wasn't able to call before they closed tonight. Do you know anything about the 9 night cruise they are offering? Is it still sailing from Vancouver? Ports? I'm desperate for answers. I doubt I will sleep much tonight. I also had flights booked and had spent a lot of time looking for a deal on a hotel in LA for a week after our cruise.

NCL had no information about the 9-day mentioned in the email. It seems they offered something that does not exist yet. That is scary to me! You have to request your "airline change fee" through their website. The offer is up to $300 per person. We had "flash sale" air through United so when we change our reservation NCL at some point will reimburse you. When and how is the question and of course no definitive answer. Anyone with prior knowledge please share with us in the air change fee. I canceled my hotel no issue there.

No cruises for October 2018 for the Pearl, Gem, or Jewel show in NCL web site.

This was our first time using Norwegian. Not a good start. The new itinerary really stinks because none of the 10-day cruises are a round trip out of New York. Our original cruise was September 18–28 out of New York. My wife really does not like flying, which is why the round trip was so enticing. Do you believe there is anyway I can get Norwegian to pay, at least partially, for a trip back from Quebec City to New York? I find it unacceptable that I would have to pay all of this extra money to get back to the US.

This was our first time using Norwegian. Not a good start. The new itinerary really stinks because none of the 10-day cruises are a round trip out of New York. Our original cruise was September 18–28 out of New York. My wife really does not like flying, which is why the round trip was so enticing. Do you believe there is anyway I can get Norwegian to pay, at least partially, for a trip back from Quebec City to New York? I find it unacceptable that I would have to pay all of this extra money to get back to the US.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. Given NCL's history when they make changes like this there is no way they will pay for 1 penny of anything, they will quote their cruise contract which states they can change, cancel and rearrange ports to their liking. Can you look at Amtrak instead of flying?

Wow, we really got disappointed on this one. We were booked to sail 10/8 on the Gem. They cancelled it officially yesterday afternoon, put out the new options yesterday afternoon. This morning at opening time for their dedicated help desk, all 4 cabins in the category I had booked were already sold out for the revised 10/8 sailing.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. Given NCL's history when they make changes like this there is no way they will pay for 1 penny of anything, they will quote their cruise contract which states they can change, cancel and rearrange ports to their liking. Can you look at Amtrak instead of flying?

We are currently looking at Amtrak. Seems we can get a train from Quebec City to Montreal. Then we’ll have to stay for one night. Finally, take Amtrak from Montreal to NYC. At least, that’s seems to be the only option. Wish my wife would fly, haha.

My cruise on the Pearl for 5 days was cancelled they offered us a 9 day but when I called today they are no longer doing it so the only offer they are giving is switching to the Bliss doing a 5 day but only inside or balcony is available. So I can get bumped down to an inside pay more than double what I was paying and I loose all the 5 of the Free at Sea offers I had on the Pearl. Not good .

Where will the Pearl be for those missing 9 days? Nobody can tell me. It can just walk off to the other side of the country.

I now have a one way flight for 2 that is useless. They will do a change fee but now where am I going to go? I have nothing. I go on a two week trip. I don't want to spend two weeks in LA. My mom doesn't want to do Disney again. I can't go anywhere where there is lots of smoking as I'm allergic.

Greyhound is another option. Why not just take the cruise back? Offers a great opportunity.

My cruise on the Pearl for 5 days was cancelled they offered us a 9 day but when I called today they are no longer doing it so the only offer they are giving is switching to the Bliss doing a 5 day but only inside or balcony is available. So I can get bumped down to an inside pay more than double what I was paying and I loose all the 5 of the Free at Sea offers I had on the Pearl. Not good .

Where will the Pearl be for those missing 9 days? Nobody can tell me. It can just walk off to the other side of the country.

I now have a one way flight for 2 that is useless. They will do a change fee but now where am I going to go? I have nothing. I go on a two week trip. I don't want to spend two weeks in LA. My mom doesn't want to do Disney again. I can't go anywhere where there is lots of smoking as I'm allergic.

Holland America has some 4 and 5 night cruises going out of Vancouver from September 25 till October 17. Might be able to change the dates for your flights.

What does fare protection mean. We were booked on 10 day rt New York.

Our original 10 day October 8th cruise is being cancelled but we like the replacement Gem cruise on October 8th better. Cruise is now 12 day one way cruise from Quebec City to New York. We do not leave Quebec City until 8 pm day after boarding. We don't lose any port stops and we gain two additional days and six additional port stops. Fare is protected.

My email came this morning.... it came from donotreply instead of NCL so if you didn't receive an email check your spam folder.

What does fare protection mean. We were booked on 10 day rt New York.

if you paid 900 dollars per person for a cabin for your cruise that is now canceled, and your new rebook cruise is 1100 per person, Norwegian will adjust your new booking to match the orginal price of 900 dollars.

I was booked on the Sept 8 cruise round trip to Quebec. (I received an email yesterday that that cruise was cancelled and turned into two one way cruises that repeat the itineraries. They offer to rebook on one of these or cancel completely. They also claim that they would pay air fare to or from Quebec. I called the special number and they said it was probably refundable AFTER the cruise was over. They were no help. I have until Jan 22 to make up my mind.

Thanks for sharing the TA note to let us explore options and decide before talking our TA. We re-booked a one way. It was a cheap flight and direct with the R/T NYC, but we decided to keep the cruise. It looks like I can use miles for one way to Quebec with a stop and buying a one way back from NYC is not bad. Husband will need multi-city flights. I called our TA, and he had received the note late yesterday and was making calls today. We moved from a 10 day to a 9 day, so got a new price for one day less and one fewer specialty dining tip. We were able to get the same cabin.

Tammy

I was booked on the Sept 8 cruise round trip to Quebec. (I received an email yesterday that that cruise was cancelled and turned into two one way cruises that repeat the itineraries. They offer to rebook on one of these or cancel completely. They also claim that they would pay air fare to or from Quebec. I called the special number and they said it was probably refundable AFTER the cruise was over. They were no help. I have until Jan 22 to make up my mind.

I'm interested in what NCL said they'd do about your airfare. I see you live in New York so mustn't have needed airfares originally? In that case, have NCL simply indicated they'll cover your airfare ($300 pp max.) to Quebec since you originally weren't going to need airfare?

We're in Australia. We MUST travel to New York as we're on the Bermuda cruise on the Escape, 30 September. We disembark on the 7th so had at the same time booked the Gem for the 8th as an almost-back-to-back. Our TA, who after 2 days still hasn't managed to get our option 1 re-booking organised, said that NCL told her the $300 wasn't available to us as its compensation for an airfare change fee.

I've just written an email to NCL head office for consideration.... we're locked into flying Australia to New York return for our first NCL cruise, and now we will need to buy extra flights to embark on our cruise that was supposed to leave from the same terminal as our first. So if they've told you they will cover your airfare to Quebec, I'm encouraged.

I've been feeling pretty stressed about all this, but then I think that at least the sailing on the 8th HAS options; there are others so much more disadvantaged by all the cancellations and I'm really feeling for them.

Edited by sofmall

We are currently looking at Amtrak. Seems we can get a train from Quebec City to Montreal. Then we’ll have to stay for one night. Finally, take Amtrak from Montreal to NYC. At least, that’s seems to be the only option. Wish my wife would fly, haha.

Switch to celebrity. Similar itinerary, 14 days, RT ny.