Tipping a butler?

mrsroller180

I appreciate it wont be popular with some but out of the blue we have been given an upgrade from deluxe balcony room to a suite (Hong Kong Suite) on Arcadia in 10 days time. It is only a 3 night cruise to Bruges but with this suite comes a Butler!! I believe you can say you dont need him - if so how, do we tell him direct or P & O. If we do keep him can anyone tell me do we tip him each time he does something - and how much - or at the end of the trip. We dont want to appear rude. Im thinking maybe the best thing would be to look after ourselves like we normally do lol.

I appreciate it wont be popular with some but out of the blue we have been given an upgrade from deluxe balcony room to a suite (Hong Kong Suite) on Arcadia in 10 days time. It is only a 3 night cruise to Bruges but with this suite comes a Butler!! I believe you can say you dont need him - if so how, do we tell him direct or P & O. If we do keep him can anyone tell me do we tip him each time he does something - and how much - or at the end of the trip. We dont want to appear rude. Im thinking maybe the best thing would be to look after ourselves like we normally do lol.

If you leave your auto tip on he is covered.

If you ask him to do something extra, organise a party etc then a tip at the end of the cruise would be in order.

As you are going to only be on 3 nights I would not worry. Go and enjoy your cruise and don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you leave your auto tip on he is covered.

If you ask him to do something extra, organise a party etc then a tip at the end of the cruise would be in order.

As you are going to only be on 3 nights I would not worry. Go and enjoy your cruise and don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good advice.

Sorry first time on P & O what is auto tip. Thanks for the replies.

First time on P&O and an upgrade to a suite!! Well done!! Hope you have a great time and it doesn't spoil you for future cruises.

Just pay the auto-tips and leave it at that.

I know you're only on for three nights but just to tell you that if you tell P&O or the Butler that you don't require his services it does mean that you won't be able to have a cooked breakfast served in your suite - you probably won't want it but just in case you had thought about it. Only the Butler can serve meals from the main restaurant menu in your suite, which applies to lunch and dinner as well. The Butlers really enjoy making your cruise as special as possible so I would give him a chance, but obviously up to you.

I know you're only on for three nights but just to tell you that if you tell P&O or the Butler that you don't require his services it does mean that you won't be able to have a cooked breakfast served in your suite - you probably won't want it but just in case you had thought about it. Only the Butler can serve meals from the main restaurant menu in your suite, which applies to lunch and dinner as well. The Butlers really enjoy making your cruise as special as possible so I would give him a chance, but obviously up to you.

If you have it(Butler) use it or lose it lol.

Don't worry about the tipping - as others have said it's all taken care of, unless you feel you'd like to add something just for him at the end.

He'll bring you menus for the following day each evening, along with some canapes. We rarely eat these because there's so much food on board (and they're pretty boring) but it's a nice touch if you're hungry.

If you don't want his services, tell him - he won't mind. We have a suite for the extra space and the Epicurean breakfasts - the butler's an add-on, but we very rarely use him.