Rome Private Tours

Trippster5

Hi

We are on a Viking Cruise in April that ends in Rome and then we are renting an apartment for 4 days in Rome. We plan on touring Rome for two days with a day trip by train to Florence for the third day.

Can anyone recommend a private tour company for 4 adults including transportation to spend perhaps one day at the Vatican, bypassing lines, and the next day doing the other Rome sites?

Who would you recommend and why?

Thanks all....Can't wait for our cruise!

Ken

Hi

We are on a Viking Cruise in April that ends in Rome and then we are renting an apartment for 4 days in Rome. We plan on touring Rome for two days with a day trip by train to Florence for the third day.

Can anyone recommend a private tour company for 4 adults including transportation to spend perhaps one day at the Vatican, bypassing lines, and the next day doing the other Rome sites?

Ken

Three times we have used RomeCabs. Stefano, the owner, runs a very good company. Rates are competitive, cars were Mercedes sedans or vans and always on time. They have all the permits to park literally at the front doors. They also arranged Maria, our excellent Vatican guide. If you want to skip lines and see more of the Vatican than most, this is the best. Can’t say enough good things about Stefano and his crew.😎

We also used RomeCabs and had a great experience!! We had some friends that used Limoinrome and they also had a good experience. RomeCabs picked us up in Civitavecchia and we spent the entire day, skipping the lines and eating in a local restaurant, then being brought back to the ship in plenty of time. We saw so much more than the folks on the ship's tour, and if we had been in Rome longer and could have spent a few more days we would have seen even more.

We are on that cruise also. We are staying till Tuesday and have train tickets to Florence on Sunday. I’ve researched Vatican tours for months. I decided to go with Walks of Italy. They have good reviews and because they are based in Delaware, I prepaid in dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used Rome Private Guides twice when we were in Rome: first was the Private Tour of the Vatican Museum and Borgia Apartments, the other was a half day walking tour of Forum and Coliseum (sp?) with Private Tour of catacombs. Both were awesome - great guides with great information and fun. Highly recommended!

We used RomeCabs for our cruise transfer. Nice driver but little English for the long ride although we had requested it. However, we loved Luca from Luke Limousine! The website is http://www.romeandlimo.com He got us to places that would have been too difficult for my husband with walking issues. He even arranged skip the line tickets for us on a day we were on our own. And, yes he arranges guides as well. Can't say enough good things about him. He is why we fell in love with Rome. He has a great sense of humor and is a very good driver who loves to share his Rome. If you want a friend showing you Rome rather than just a driver, Luca is your man. He'll customize to make sure you enjoy your must see list to the fullest. If we had realized how much we were going to enjoy time with Luca we would have arranged all of our transportation with him and certainly will in the future.

Driver in Rome was amazing. Danielle was my guide when I celebrated my 40th birthday. I am returning and using them again.

Danielle was so good he is now the owner of the company.

I will be enjoying 4 days with him this August.

Just got back yesterday. We booked with a company called LiveItaly Tours. Our tour guide was Davide and he did a fantastic job. The tour we took lasted 9 hours. We saw everything. We chose to do it this way to allow ourselves the opportunity to wander the next day on our own as we were very tired after all the tours we took on the cruise! Rome is amazing! We stayed at an airbnb near the Pantheon. Location is great. Walkable to many places. The airbnb not so great, just okay but location, location, location.

Also, just a reminder that any tour you take may be able to get your tickets earlier but you still have to wait in the line for security. That's what takes a long time to get through.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Ken

Contact The Roman Guy. Found him through Rick Steves. Go to the website. Lots of tours avaibale. We did 4 of them and recommended them to friends who used them for 3- 4 tours as well. Great people...amazing access to some locations in that some of them are Roman locals...including Mama Bear ( she takes care of her cubs). Can hook you up in Florence. Ask for Brandon...one of the owners. An American that is living Italy.

The very best guide to Rome is John Fort (jf@johnfort.com). Period.

And the very best guidebook to Rome is The Companion Guide to Rome, compiled first by Georgina Masson and since revised twice by John Fort. He is personable, charming, and of course immensely knowledgeable but never pedantic. Oxford man.

We had been several times to Rome, but John Fort made it new. If he's available, just do it.

• 2 weeks later...