Avoiding awkward companions

Freeman3030

Hi all,

We did our first cruise last year to the Caribbean and booked a Saver fare we were allocated the 8:30pm sitting. The saver fare was excellent value for money, however I'm currently trying to book cruise (B809) for our next cruise and I'm struggling with selecting a dining option.

When we went to the Caribbean, we had to share a table with another couple in the main dining restaurant (I understand this is the deal with saver fares - we couldn't choose our table size). Our dining companions were pleasant enough but there were a couple of occasions where we might eat our evening meal in the buffet restaurant because we wanted to dine earlier/or were hungry early and the husband would crack a joke at our expense about not being good enough to eat with every night. I would laugh, but it actually made me feel uncomfortable. Having eaten with strangers, its actually highlighted that when eating, I would rather just have the company of my partner.

So we're going to book a 'Select Fare' and try freedom dining as I would like the flexibility to eat when I fancy it and select a table of two. We would probably eat most evenings around 7PM (it depends whats on though), is it likely that we would get a table of 2? Also if a 2 isn't available, would they seat you on a larger table or can you go and have a drink and come back later?

Also, we're planning on selecting an inside room as we don't spend any time in our room except for sleeping/getting ready. Does anyone know any inside rooms that have 2 beds only? Our cabin on the Azura had 2 bunkbeds and I frequently hit my shoulder on it when squeezing through to get into bed.

Many thanks in advance!

If you book Freedom dining you can eat at a time that suits you between restaurant opening hours and if you ask for a table for 2 and there are not any available they will give you a pager which will then let you know when your table is ready.

Majority of inside cabins on Britannia have 2 single beds that if you want you can have them pushed together to form a double at your choice.

I found on on our last two cruises (Azura and Britannia) after 2 or 3 days the chap at the entrance to the restaurant knew our preference and would greet us with “table for 2?” Rather than on past cruises when they asked every time if we wanted to share!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve just re-read and seen you are on Britannia! There are more tables for two on Britannia and we never had to get a pager and wait on that ship for the MDR. The only time we had to take a pager was for the Beach House!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our first cruises we thought we’d prefer a table for two rather than sharing with the same people day after day, so booked freedom dining. But we found we actually like sharing a table in freedom as you get to meet different people every night and have some fascinating chats.

On our first cruises we thought we’d prefer a table for two rather than sharing with the same people day after day, so booked freedom dining. But we found we actually like sharing a table in freedom as you get to meet different people every night and have some fascinating chats.

I agree - part of the joy of cruising for me though it can be awkward when you get difficult table companions

Maybe a better option is book the Saver Fare which is normally considerably cheaper. With the saving eat in the specialty restaurant like Epicurean, Limelight, Glass house or the Beach House. All are considerably better than the Main Dining Room or the Buffet. The Beach House is the cheapest costs about £10/pp.