Rome- Food Tours

Sunkissed Mommy

We are looking in to doing a walking food tour/ evening tour on the day we arrive in Rome. We want food to be part of it so we don't have to squeeze in a meal after flying and resting for the afternoon. I've checked in various places and Viator seems to have a lot of options in what we are looking for. Is there a particular tour or at least a particular neighborhood that's better than others for food tours? Some of the ones I saw that piqued my interest are below but I know nothing about what each neighborhood offers. Wine is not important to us, so not a factor. We are open to suggestions from anyone who might have good insight!

Small-Group Rome Food Walking Tour: Trastevere, Campo de' Fiori and Jewish Ghetto

Rome Food Tour by Sunset around Prati District

Hidden Rome Food Tour in Trastevere with Dinner and Wine

We have been to Rome twice and have done (different) food tours each time. I don't believe we booked through Viator either time. I think we booked directly with the provider. (In case you didn't know, Viator is sort of a middleman). I was looking through my records and I found a receipt from Eating Italy Tours. I also found this old food tour thread which I apparently consulted:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1984362

Of the three you list, I would recommend the one that covers the areas of Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, and the Jewish Ghetto. Trastevere is charming in the evening, Campo di Fiori is home to a lot of local favorites (more modern style than old style) and the Jewish Ghetto would give you a chance to taste what is probably Rome's oldest surviving cuisine -- the Roman Jewish presence dates back to the time of the Caesars and some feel it's the most authentic "real" Roman food.

I agree with the other advice, however, to look other places than Viator. Better to book directly than through a middleman, IMO.

(Testaccio is another area of Rome known to foodies, if you see any tours based there....)

Cindy,

That Trastevere food tour sounds great. It is not really twilight though but IS it as good as it sounds?

The "samples"? Are they just tastes or it is adequate for a real eater?

I am looking to the Porchetta!

Thanks

Cindy,

That Trastevere food tour sounds great. It is not really twilight though but IS it as good as it sounds?

The "samples"? Are they just tastes or it is adequate for a real eater?

I am looking to the Porchetta!

Thanks

It’s tons of food! A couple stops all I could do was taste because I was so full!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well I did some research and I am sad to report that we can't do any of the Eating Italy tours because they don't run on Sunday evenings. We arrive Sunday morning and our other evenings of the trip are already slated for other things. The one on Eating Italy looked great. I loved the detail they included, I feel like you know what to expect on those.

I guess I will keep looking for options. The Viator ones are offered on that Sunday, so I am curious as to what the actual company is. I don't mind booking through Viator if I can't find something suitable.

Well I did some research and I am sad to report that we can't do any of the Eating Italy tours because they don't run on Sunday evenings. We arrive Sunday morning and our other evenings of the trip are already slated for other things. The one on Eating Italy looked great. I loved the detail they included, I feel like you know what to expect on those.

I guess I will keep looking for options. The Viator ones are offered on that Sunday, so I am curious as to what the actual company is. I don't mind booking through Viator if I can't find something suitable.

You could try this Livitaly tour...it runs on Sunday evenings. We thought Livitaly was a fantastic company.

https://www.livitaly.com/tour/rome-food-small-group-tour/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Food tours of Rome. Did it last may and am doing it again in November in Rome then the next night in Naples. Absolutely loved it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I second this. We used Food Tours of Rome several years ago and will do so again in September. We do the night tour and have referred others to the same one.