Flowrider....which ships heat the water?

skiiergirl

So, the water is always warmish.... but the air is not always warmish. So, the temperature of the water is not really a problem, but the air temperature is critical. Basically, if the air is greater than 50, i.e. 19 Celsius, they should operate the flowrider. When it is 52F or 19C and the ship is moving, then the air will freeze you pretty quick. I have ridden the flowrider in these conditions on two cruises, when the air temp is just barely above the minimum temps. On a cruise on the Navigator to Norway, and on my most recent Ovation cruise transitioning from hot as hades Singapore to somewhat frigid China in April. On both those cruises there were sessions that were cancelled due to temperatures being too cool. I always travel with a 0.5MM dive skin, that does provide some warmth, it is not enough heat added at that temperatures, but if you are tough you can make it through. I have seen kids brave those temps without a suit. They were really freezing. They really need a hot tub by the flowrider. The problem is you can't keep flowriding you have to wait in line which is when you freeze.

JC

I suppose one needs to define "heated". Compared to the temperature of the cold water coming out of a sink faucet, the water in the Flowrider is usually a bit warmer. As JC points out, the issue for riders being cold once off the ride.

Edited by Biker19

So, the water is always warmish.... but the air is not always warmish. So, the temperature of the water is not really a problem, but the air temperature is critical. Basically, if the air is greater than 50, i.e. 19 Celsius, they should operate the flowrider. When it is 52F or 19C and the ship is moving, then the air will freeze you pretty quick. I have ridden the flowrider in these conditions on two cruises, when the air temp is just barely above the minimum temps. On a cruise on the Navigator to Norway, and on my most recent Ovation cruise transitioning from hot as hades Singapore to somewhat frigid China in April. On both those cruises there were sessions that were cancelled due to temperatures being too cool. I always travel with a 0.5MM dive skin, that does provide some warmth, it is not enough heat added at that temperatures, but if you are tough you can make it through. I have seen kids brave those temps without a suit. They were really freezing. They really need a hot tub by the flowrider. The problem is you can't keep flowriding you have to wait in line which is when you freeze.

JC

FYI , 50 degrees F is 10 degrees C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI , 50 degrees F is 10 degrees C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops yeah, sorry, was doing the conversion and then typing the 1.8 factor included. 10C is the magic number for allowing the activity. Of course it has been closed due to high winds as well. It was open one time on our Norway cruise, we were sailing due north in the North Sea, and when you were standing up on the wave with a 40MPH wind from the due north, it would just blow you over. That was the hardest stand-up surfing experience I have ever done. Not to mention it was freezing cold in that wind.... The Navigator had a lot of space for that much needed hot tub.:halo:

JC