January... hot or HOT?

Hello all, bear with me if my questions are silly, but I don't have much to compare to.

We will be traveling to Brisbane in January, to do a 2wk cruise around NZ.

I know that cruising Milford and Doubtful can be cold. I'm thinking along the lines of Alaska and the glaciers. And I know that layers are the way to go.

My issue, and confusion, is this:: I live in Las Vegas, which as everyone knows is a suburb of Hell in the summer. I know HOT, and have no issues with that. Our winters are balmy and mild compared to most...no snow, dry, and very rarely below 32(0). I've been checking some weather websites, and see that the January averages for most places we're going is 80(27) or lower. That is spring/fall temperatures for us. that being said, I know it can be warmer or cooler at any time.

My question is this...should I plan on 'heavy' layers or 'light' layers. will the stuff I usually use on our Alaska cruises be sufficient? Layering isn't the norm here in the desert, and our winter coats tend to be not much more than a heavy fleece. I just don't know what I should be packing. Most of my wardrobe is on the very light side...

Thanks for your input, I appreciate any help I can get.

Brisbane in January will be hot and very humid. I would say the average is more 30-32 Celsius with high humidity. It is not the heat that affects you but the humidity, but then you could be lucky and it will be about 30 degrees with not too much humidity. New Zealand will be cooler but not as cool as Alaska, as you head further down it does get cooler, and you will be on the ship during Milford Sound and layers will be sufficient. You need to remember that the sun has a bigger bite and it is much easier to sunburn here even in New Zealand and always remember to wear sunblock and a hat. We went on a cruise in November to New Zealand last year and we had a sea day between Bay of Islands and Tauranga, I was sitting on the lawn on the top deck with a blanket around me as it was quite chilly and windy and was reading for about an hour, went back to my cabin and found that I had a very red and sunburn face and chest [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't worry about temperatures when cruising the sounds and wouldn't take anything particularly heavy.

If you'll be in mostly warm/hot areas, I would light layer and then, if necessary, grab a blanket to wrap around yourself. Certainly don't need anything more than you might have taken to Alaska.

As you say your wardrobe is on the very light side, it should be perfect for your cruise in January. Normal summer wardrobe, with layers for the cruise, when it gets cool and windy.

Good advice to take precautions against sunburn in NZ.

You will need cool summer clothes for Brisbane prior to the cruise.

Best advice, half the clothes and twice the money. :)

Thanks for the input. Ya'll have reinforced that my thinking is on the right track.

I'm thinking that it will be my usual fight with the humidity. I can handle heat, but that humidity gets me every time..... don't know how you guys live with that stuff all the time. :rolleyes: lol.

I'm soooooo looking forward to January!!!

We did a NZ cruise in December so similar weather,bathe sounds I wore long pants, warm coat and scarf, but the rest of the stops I was in a tshirt as it was quite warm. I had a cardigan to layer up with but only used it when inside some places and walking through caves and forest that were cool.

Thanks for the input. Ya'll have reinforced that my thinking is on the right track.

I'm thinking that it will be my usual fight with the humidity. I can handle heat, but that humidity gets me every time..... don't know how you guys live with that stuff all the time. :rolleyes: lol.

I'm soooooo looking forward to January!!!

Might not have to worry about the humidity - it could be raining instead!:D

We cruised around NZ last Christmas. We had some lovely days, including one hot day at Akaroa, and some cooler days. It was decidely cool cruising Fiordland, there was quite a breeze in Milford Sound. I wore a tshirt, a light jumper, a light fleece and a windbreaker, with a warm hat and gloves, when we were on deck.