Cost Comparisons

eliana

There’s a deal advertised in the UK today on Voyager...7 nights for 371 GBP per diem including flights in a veranda suite and 542 GBP per diem in a penthouse suite including flights. 29 October in the Med. That’s a 31% discount. There are another 4 voyages with similar discounts.

It makes me wonder whether booking on board is worthwhile as my next cruise I booked on board has reduced to the same price I paid with all the discounts I got ( although not in this promotion).

Booking on board also brings the added benefits of a lower deposit and the ability to move to another cruise without penalty but with an 'on-board' booking discount (albeit you have to stump up the higher deposit on the new cruise) e.g. you could move your present booking to one of the Voyager deals if the timing and itinerary suits you.

I have been making a comparison of Regent prices per ship and per region for similar suite categories on a per day basis, making allowance for included air fares. I have noticed the following:

1. Northern Europe is more expensive than the Med. for the same ship. Do North Europe Ports or excursions cost Regent more, or are there other reasons.

2. Explorer is more expensive than the other three ships for similar itineraries. What does the Explorer offer in comparison other than an extra restaurant or smaller suites at the lower category end.

I have been making a comparison of Regent prices per ship and per region for similar suite categories on a per day basis, making allowance for included air fares. I have noticed the following:

1. Northern Europe is more expensive than the Med. for the same ship. Do North Europe Ports or excursions cost Regent more, or are there other reasons.

2. Explorer is more expensive than the other three ships for similar itineraries. What does the Explorer offer in comparison other than an extra restaurant or smaller suites at the lower category end.

Baltic cruises have always been more expensive even when excursions weren't included. Could be just supply and demand (very short season) or maybe some impact from cost of operations there. I will say that included excursions should have an impact now as we were able to do three included excursions in one day in St Pete and two on another.

Explorer is still the new ship so demand may be higher. As I believe in only paying for Cat H, I don't like Explorer ad there is too much differentiation in the categories. As Jackie pointed out, I have broken down and booked an F2 for our 2019 cruise but will possibly cancel and replace with a Cat H on another of the ships.

Will give you my perspective on your questions:

1. The Med. is not selling well so the prices have been discounted -- not only for this year but the last couple of years as well. I don't believe that there are other reasons why North European ports are more expensive - they are just more popular.

2. Some people want to sail on new(er) ships. As you will likely recall, the first year Explorer was sailing, the fares were extremely high on some itineraries. I suspect the same will occur when Splendor debuts in 2020. For us, Explorer is our favorite/favourite ship (it is funny how my computer tells me that I made a typo when I use the British spelling of that word:halo:). While the F1/F2 ad concierge suites are not that much larger the suites on the Voyager or Navigator, they have a lot more storage space and the bathrooms are probably twice the size as on the other ships - have two sinks and a ton of storage. We also prefer the layout of the ship - with lovely sitting areas that are, In my opinion better than the other ships.

We will be returning to the Voyager later this month for the first time in over two years so I'll be able to make a better comparison. I do know that people complain about the Coffee Connection on Voyager which likely is because the ship wasn't built to have a space like the Mariner does.

As an aside, we have been able to find very reasonable (compared to other Regent ships) on Explorer - especially on transatlantic voyages.

Edited by Travelcat2

I have not done any detail comparisons (yet) as we have the next couple of years taken care of and there is no more leave to play with (sadly). However I can tell you , a general observation that Northern Europe and Australia / NZ itineraries are more expensive on a per/day basis for all major cruise lines, even those where there is no excursion included. One of the explanations I”ve heard is that port charges in these countries are higher. Not sure if this is true. Can tell you though that NZ/AU cruises are typically full so it is the supply and demand thing too.

PS I have been looking for quite some time for discounted/cheaper cruses closer to home and even P&O which is not my choice at any time or price, is pricey here. So not just Regent ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember noticing years ago that Navigator was less expensive than Voyager and Mariner. This was back when these latter ships were new.

And I've always noticed that the Baltic is pricier than other parts of Europe. Back when we were more budget-conscious, we found that European repo cruises, like trips from the Med. to northern Europe were the best value. Not sure if that's still true.

I couldn't imagine getting tired of the Med., frankly. Would do another Med. cruise in a heartbeat.

Interesting comments about Northern Europe as we choose that area twice due to lower fares. I suppose it depends upon the year, what is going on in the world, etc.

In terms of the Med., we did get tired of it after doing three cruises in that area within six months. While I love certain cities, I would rather visit them via a land trip that having to repeat them on cruise ship. Interestingly, the ports we became most saturated with were Santorini and Livorno. While we love Santorini, the crowds can be overwhelming and in terms of Livorno - we've simply been there too many times and need a break of maybe 5 years.

Also, I saw one post when fares for residents of the U.K. and Hong Kong were mentioned for comparison. In my opinion, comparing fares in North America with those in other parts of the world can usually lead to frustration (for instance, knowing what people in Hong Kong paid for our upcoming cruise is more than frustrating!). People residing in the North America can not get fares offered outside of North America so what is the use looking at them?

You might also notice fares for the same ships that have higher or lower fares for the same itinerary - depending upon the month that you book. For instance, Alaska cruises do not sell well in late August/early September and we were able to get a "covert" fare for a 10 night cruise in a PH suite on the Mariner for $12K (total - not per person). And, because the cruise was not not selling well - even 2 months prior to departure, Regent was able to get PBS onboard which gave us great lectures and a chance to meet a senator and hear their political views (I wouldn't book a cruise for that reason but it was a nice addition).

• 2 months later...

Just booked 15 nights on Navigator Cat G for $269 per person per day (net of air, TA rebate, and TA shipboard credit). There are still bargains to be found. I don't think I could stay in a decent all inclusive resort for anywhere near $538 per day for the two of us. Now, I am just kicking myself for not having seen this earlier and booked the Cat H and saved $300 per person.

Thanks to Yallcruise and Drib.

Marc

Just booked 15 nights on Navigator Cat G for $269 per person per day (net of air, TA rebate, and TA shipboard credit). There are still bargains to be found. I don't think I could stay in a decent all inclusive resort for anywhere near $538 per day for the two of us. Now, I am just kicking myself for not having seen this earlier and booked the Cat H and saved $300 per person.

Thanks to Yallcruise and Drib.

Marc

What itinerary did u book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Booking on board also brings the added benefits of a lower deposit and the ability to move to another cruise without penalty but with an 'on-board' booking discount (albeit you have to stump up the higher deposit on the new cruise) e.g. you could move your present booking to one of the Voyager deals if the timing and itinerary suits you.

A point Regent do not tell you or mention in any paperwork is that, for UK clients, if you use the ability to move to another cruise you are then moved to UK T&C's., have to pay the 20% deposit for the cruise and then are unable to cancel, if for some reason you need to cancel, the moved cruise unless you are willing to loose the 20% deposit. You are also unable to move the new cruise. This could quite easily happen as Regent are asking you to book for the year 2020, a long time away and much can happen

A point Regent do not tell you or mention in any paperwork is that, for UK clients, if you use the ability to move to another cruise you are then moved to UK T&C's., have to pay the 20% deposit for the cruise and then are unable to cancel, if for some reason you need to cancel, the moved cruise unless you are willing to loose the 20% deposit. You are also unable to move the new cruise. This could quite easily happen as Regent are asking you to book for the year 2020, a long time away and much can happen

Very interesting information and something that I had not read before.

Very interesting information and something that I had not read before.

beaujolais gave information on this issue in a previous thread

I spend so much time trying to memorize North American rules that I tend to forget the rest of the world.

On the same topic, apparently Regent has air for Australia (or so it appears). Their rules are likely different as well

P.S. isn’t the non-refundable deposit due to UK laws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not aware of any UK law requiring a Travel Agent, Tour Operator or Cruise Line to charge a deposit ............... refundable or non-refundable.

Most do charge a deposit, but Regent UK’s hefty non-refundable 20% is very draconian; although they have recently run offers where the deposit is reduced to 10%.

Edited by flossie009

Apart from my first cruise all others were booked on board, the first one being last minute booking. I will not risk loosing 20% deposit a year or more ahead.

Regents t&cs for UK customers are a real problem. It is not the law that requires this.

Regents t&cs for UK customers are a real problem. It is not the law that requires this.

I wonder whether there is anything in UK legislation which could treat this as unfair trading ( non refundable hefty deposit I mean) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Flossie and well remembered, I can see you do not suffer from "senior moments"

I did do as you suggested and e-mailed the names you suggested and eventually after much chasing got a curt reply from UK Guest Relations not really answering any of my points. I did respond but as of today have not had the courtesy of either an acknowledgement or reply

We have now reverted to sailing with Silversea and leave on Wednesday on the Silver Cloud from the Tower of London for a month's cruise and we will be no longer sailing with Regent apart from our booked cruise next January on the Explorer

Just as a matter of interest with Silversea you can cancel up to 120 days before the cruise with a charge of £120 ($200) but that can be put to a following booking and you can change from one cruise to another for no charge at all

Silversea in UK charge admin fee of £130 for cancellation more than 120days ahead and this is refunded on another booking within 12 months.

Why can't Regent do similar as they do for US bookings, and on-board bookings?

I wonder if “crew to passenger” ratio should be considered in the cost ratings? The new Splendor has a higher ratio which presumably translates into greater luxury, customer service, and operational cost. Hence Splendor should be more expensive than other Regent ships for the same itinerary. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Flossie and well remembered, I can see you do not suffer from "senior moments"

I did do as you suggested and e-mailed the names you suggested and eventually after much chasing got a curt reply from UK Guest Relations not really answering any of my points. I did respond but as of today have not had the courtesy of either an acknowledgement or reply

Since Regent management are not responding in a prompt, courteous and professional manner to your reasonable complaint, you could report the matter to ABTA (RSSC UK is a member).

If nothing else, ABTA will force their member to make a proper response within a reasonable timescale.