Tamarind Nieuw Amsterdam

richarduk

Has anyone eaten in Tamarind recently and been seated at one of the centre booth style tables for two? They are nice and private.

I asked for one last year, but was refused as apparently they are reserved for the staff. Oddly enough I've never seen one occupied by anyone!

I've seen a few postings on here stating very different things so would like to hear from someone that has seen/used these during this Med's summer season to date.

Thanks,

The Tamarind, to my way of thinking, is the finest specialty venue in the cruise industry. I sure wish I could help you, but for me the focus is on the food and the service. I would happily go sit in the corner for the privilege of that dining experience.:D

Has anyone eaten in Tamarind recently and been seated at one of the centre booth style tables for two? They are nice and private.

I asked for one last year, but was refused as apparently they are reserved for the staff. Oddly enough I've never seen one occupied by anyone!

I've seen a few postings on here stating very different things so would like to hear from someone that has seen/used these during this Med's summer season to date.

Thanks,

I've never seen 'staff only' at thos tables.

Perhaps it was an unusual circumstance/some special celebration or such that particular night.

Ask again. I am sure guests are seated at those tables.

I join in adding my agreement about what a lovely dining experience Tamarind provides.

While we're on the subject of the Tamarind, I'm looking forward to eating there when I sail on the NA for the first time this coming December. I noticed that you can't pre-book for lunch online. How do I go about making a lunch reservation?

Roz

While we're on the subject of the Tamarind, I'm looking forward to eating there when I sail on the NA for the first time this coming December. I noticed that you can't pre-book for lunch online. How do I go about making a lunch reservation?

Roz

IMO, dinner at the Tamarind is truly exceptional. I have found the lunch, however, to be quite poor.

IMO, dinner at the Tamarind is truly exceptional. I have found the lunch, however, to be quite poor.

Lunch is a fixed menu and is lots of dumplings.

Seeing I don't care for dumplings, I don't much care for Tamarind's lunch.

But to answer the question,,,,,, you cannot make lunch reservations for Tamarind prior to boarding. After you board, you can call Tamarind, go there or go see the steward at the reservation station in Lido to make reservations.

The Tamarind Lunch is free -- need to make reservations once on the ship.

It is a set menu -- only get to choose dessert:

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings: (you are suppose to get 1 of each type -- we only got 3 total)

Chicken

Asian Pork

Spring Vegetable

Shrimp 'Shu Mat'

From the Wok: (again -- suppose to get 1 of each type -- we only got 3 total)

Vegetable Spring Roll

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

And none of them were very large.

Chinese Style Fried Rice

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sorbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

Coffee

Teas:

Kerala

Assam

Miligirl(?)

Darjeerling

Ceylon

Green Darjeerling

Roz

IMHO don't bother with lunch. It wasn't much food and our service was very slow.

To be honest, we both said we would not go back, but I might give it another chance. The dinner food was ok, nothing special. The service was hit and miss AND they tried to charge us again, even though we prepaid. I did find the table layout just a bit open and not private enough, hence I asked for a booth.

I guess one could treat the sparse food as an appetizer and head to the Lido afterwards.

I watch the Chinese help at my local Chinese restaurant and they eat their lunch in a far corner just before the lunch crowd comes in. They usually have a small amount of the thin noodles, broccoli, gr beans and Coke. I guess they don't eat as much as Americans.

Cruise ships are well aware of how much Americans eat....... some eat a large amount and some a lot less but ships know many Americans seek large portions.

Try the large fried shrimp (if you eat such things) as appetizer, pearls of the ocean, and meat eaters seem to like the tenderloin.

Archived