Stateroom Dilemma

In September, we are booked on a 9 day Jewel of the Seas cruise of the Greek Islands, with 3 adult kids and my brother.

Unfortunately, a couple of my children’s friends won’t be able to join us. I currently have 4 staterooms, but I want to juggle the occupants. That would leave my daughter and brother travelling solo and my sons sharing.

Is it safe to let Royal Caribbean know about this, or would they promptly reprice the rooms, (which I emphatically don’t want!). The only real move is one son into his brother’s room.

I could then, if I’m feeling generous, do beverage packages for them.

In September, we are booked on a 9 day Jewel of the Seas cruise of the Greek Islands, with 3 adult kids and my brother.

Unfortunately, a couple of my children’s friends won’t be able to join us. I currently have 4 staterooms, but I want to juggle the occupants. That would leave my daughter and brother travelling solo and my sons sharing.

Is it safe to let Royal Caribbean know about this, or would they promptly reprice the rooms, (which I emphatically don’t want!). The only real move is one son into his brother’s room.

Can you just leave everything alone and have two no shows? We have done this but my pricing was really good so it made no difference.

Can you just leave everything alone and have two no shows? We have done this but my pricing was really good so it made no difference.

I would, but one son would have access to his uncle’s room, but not his.

Unless there’s a way to change it on the ship.

It's hard to guess what you're trying to do with no details, but if you call Royal and tell them somone is not coming, then I think they will reprice the room.

If you need an extra room key you can get one on the ship.

Just let the "no shows" be "no shows"...once on the ship, you can rearrange occupants. There will be NO re-pricing once you've boarded. You can go to customer service, and get the correct keys for everyone. It's done all the time. Of course, there will be no refunds for the no-shows, but taxes and port fees will be refunded to whoever paid for them.

Does each cabin a separate reservation number? If so you should be able to cancel one of the cabins if you desire. If you keep one person from the original reservation in each cabin, then you may be able to move people around without any charges. Based on your note, I'm assuming your daughter is comfortable with sharing a cabin with your brother. In any case, it's still worth a call to ask the question. The question can be phrased as hypothetical. Good Luck

I assume the possible no shows are in different cabins, so every cabin can (on paper) keep an original occupant. If so, I think you can rearrange the names without repricing, though I would not mention the possibility of no-shows when you call. As long as one original name stays on each booking, you could even recruit new folks to take those berths abandoned by friends, if there are other people you’d like to join your adventure.

As long as you are rearranging names, and if you are paying the bills, if there will be any solo cabins, I’d make a point for my name (or my linked spouse’s name) to end up as a solo, so as a couple we’d get the double points.

Swap as needed after boarding. You can get cards for actual cabins on board at guest services.

No, my daughter and my brother will have their own cabins. One son was going to share with my brother, but the other son’s friend can’t make it, and the boys will be roommates again (as they were when they were little).

My family is pretty easy going, so I’m probably worrying about nothing! I like your suggestion of calling and raising the “what if” hypothetical scenario.

As long as you are rearranging names, and if you are paying the bills, if there will be any solo cabins, I’d make a point for my name (or my linked spouse’s name) to end up as a solo, so as a couple we’d get the double points.

This is a good point.

I did have one pesky cabin steward who insisted on knowing who was in what room. This happened once in many cruises, but my one son still has not received double points for his cruise and I still have his silver JS card. He wrote into C&A and they said 'no, he was in the cabin with his brother'. (a regular balcony room).

I would, but one son would have access to his uncle’s room, but not his.

Unless there’s a way to change it on the ship.

It was easy for us...just went to Guest Services and new SeaPass cards were given...No one will ask or care about the "no shows" the port fees and taxes will be automatically be refunded to the card you used to make final balance payment.

This was our recent experience last March on Harmony when we had 4 cabins booked and we ended up having 3 no shows....so we went from an extended family of 10 to 7.

This is a good point.

I did have one pesky cabin steward who insisted on knowing who was in what room. This happened once in many cruises, but my one son still has not received double points for his cruise and I still have his silver JS card. He wrote into C&A and they said 'no, he was in the cabin with his brother'. (a regular balcony room).

Hmm, we often give extra tips to wonderful stewards. Such a “pesky” one would have missed out. Of course, I’ll probably never encounter that one silly, er, pesky steward.

No, my daughter and my brother will have their own cabins. One son was going to share with my brother, but the other son’s friend can’t make it, and the boys will be roommates again (as they were when they were little).

My family is pretty easy going, so I’m probably worrying about nothing! I like your suggestion of calling and raising the “what if” hypothetical scenario.

My guess is that you should be able to drop a cabin without any charge since it's before final payment and there is a least one person in each cabin that isn't moving. Just out of curiosity, are the current fares higher or lower than when you booked the cruise? Do you have refundable deposits?

My guess is that you should be able to drop a cabin without any charge since it's before final payment and there is a least one person in each cabin that isn't moving. Just out of curiosity, are the current fares higher or lower than when you booked the cruise? Do you have refundable deposits?

Much higher. We booked on the first day that the Med cruises were available, and yes, they are refundable.

Hmm, we often give extra tips to wonderful stewards. Such a “pesky” one would have missed out. Of course, I’ll probably never encounter that one silly, er, pesky steward.

He got tipped because we didn't know until after that he did that. He was making a big deal about who was actually where but it didn't occur to me that it would impact cruise points.

Worth noting because everyone here always says 'no one cares where you sleep'.

He got tipped because we didn't know until after that he did that. He was making a big deal about who was actually where but it didn't occur to me that it would impact cruise points.

Worth noting because everyone here always says 'no one cares where you sleep'.

And he shouldn't have questioned this at all....he actually overstepped JMHO.

Also, do online check in and generate separate Set Sail passes if you need to have people on different on board accounts. is, your son and your brother.

But as long as one person that was originally booked for each cabin, stays in each cabin, you should be able to move people around.