The "Pirate" in Valpo

navgal

I was in Valpo two days before boarding. I had contacted Michael the German Pirate via e-mail. He met me at the bus station, drove me to my B&B (The Yellow House, a charming, well-located place ) to drop off my bags and then took me and another person to Isla Negra where I wanted to tour Neruda's home. He drove us to lovely beaches and to a private museum where we met a fascinating old fellow who created the museum. The next day Michael took a group of us on a foot tour of Valpo showing us a Valpo we could never have found on our own. His fee was very modest. (About 25 US$) I can't recommend him enough. You can contact him throu http://www.MyValparaiso.com He is an expat who loves his adopted city and country. By the time we all parted company we did ,too.

Andrea

Navgal,

Hi, I'm interested in hearing about your tour. We booked with the "pirate" and didn't realize it until now.

My emails with him have left me with more questions than answers.

What was it about him/his tour that made you enjoy it?

Thanks!

Hi

I had two days with Michael, actually. He met me at the bus station, drove me to the Yellow House to drop off my luggage, then we left for Isla Negra. Someone wanted to stop at a winery to buy champagne, so he took us to an elegant place where they knew him and took care of us immediately. Then at Isla Negra he had arranged a tour of Neruda's house with the best English speaking guide for me. Afterwards he took us ona tour of the coast and we stopped in to meet another friend of his. This was a very Neruda-like man who had built a wonderful home on the sea and made huge tallship replicas. He also had an interesting quirky m useum. It was a wonderful way to spend an hour or so.

On our walking tour at one point we were in the kitchen of a professional magician where he did tricks for us. We saw spectacular views, and Michael took us on a tour of a wealthy politician's house (he doesn't live there, just dumps his antiques there). Whereever we went people knew Michael and he introduced us. I felt I was getting to know locals, not just looking at a place.

Michael has a playful sense of humor and he does tours so he can meet interesting people which is why he deliberately keeps it small. I am sure you will have a great time.

Does this help? Tell Andrea sent you!

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...
Navgal,

Hi, I'm interested in hearing about your tour. We booked with the "pirate" and didn't realize it until now.

Thanks!

Can I have your puppy????

Thanks for all of your postings. My SIL & I are arriving in San on the 25th @ 4:30am and staying overnight before going to the cruiseship the next day. Can you tell me how to find the bus station you used. What was the cost? Was it great views in your travels? Do you know if Michael does anything in Santiago? I have emailed Michael for his availability, so I hope that it works out. Thank you so much for taking the time to help others, you are the best!

I had a great time with two Michaels in Valparaiso while staying at http://www.hotelatkinson.cl/ in Cerro Concepcion after getting off the Radiance of the seas.

First with the Michael the German pirate on a fantastic walking tour where you get so much information about the city and even enter some interesting buildings and he knows everybody so well. we knocked on some guys house and they where having a barbecue and they invited us in to join them, it was so spontainious. http://www.myvalparaiso.cl/eng/home.htm

Second we had a transfer wine tour the next day with another Michael from www.winetoursvalparaiso.cl he was such a wine enthusiast and took us to Emiliana organic winery, Indomita with a spectacula view of the valley, Viña Mar that do sparkling wine and then a Gourmet lunch at Morande before a santiago city tour where we went to Cerro San Cristobal the best view of Santiago, then dropping us off at the airport

So both these guys are great contacts in valparaiso

The bus station was simply the central bus station in Santiago that took me to the central bus station in Valpo which is near the central plaza. It cost something like seven dollars if I remeber correctly. A pleasant ride, but the best views were on the ride down the coast with Michael where there were sweeping views on the way back from Isla Negra that were very much like Big Sur in California but with accessible beaches. I especially liked the sea cove at Quintay and there's a little cafe there where you can get luch - El Gato. He can also take you to the wineries - some are very lovely. A good guide makes all the difference in knowing a place with intimacy. Have fun, kids!

Andrea

• 4 weeks later...

We spent 2 wonderful days with Michael in February 2009 while we were on our 46-day repositioning cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. He is without a doubt the BEST guide we have ever had on all of our vacations. Travelling with Michael was like being shown around town by a good friend or relative. It was relaxed and easy from the minute we got into his car. We let him be the boss and show us HIS Valparaiso and surrounding area and we were NOT disappointed. I was also amazed at how he knew all of these people who would let him bring us into their homes while the people on the tour buses were standing out on the sidewalks! I wish all tours could be this good.

Kimmy – I know what you mean. Michael didn’t give us very much description about what we would do/see in Valparaiso, despite my repeated attempts to get a rough itinerary from him. He just promised that we’d have an outstanding time & see a Valparaiso that others typically don’t see. I trusted my instincts & he delivered!

We spent a total of 7 hours with him earlier this month, covering the city by foot & public transit. We did the usual suspects that are well advertised, but we also had some unique experiences that I’m certain were only possible because of his personal relationships & connections. We initially planned to also visit Vina Del Mar, but once we got going we opted to stay in Valparaiso for the entire time. It’s a fascinating place! Overall, we had a terrific (albeit exhausting) day with the German Pirate & can recommend him without reservation.

• 8 years later...

Does anyone have recent feedback re: Santiago hotel pick up, tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar with drop off at the port in San Antonio, Chile with Michael the German Pirate?

What type/size of vehicle were you in?

How many people were in your vehicle?

Where was your luggage and was there a limit?

Did you pick up at other hotels?

What was the traffic like (8am-3pm)?

Where did you have lunch?

I appreciate any help. I am waiting to get this info from Michael, as well.

Does anyone have recent feedback re: Santiago hotel pick up, tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar with drop off at the port in San Antonio, Chile with Michael the German Pirate?

What type/size of vehicle were you in?

How many people were in your vehicle?

Where was your luggage and was there a limit?

Did you pick up at other hotels?

What was the traffic like (8am-3pm)?

Where did you have lunch?

I appreciate any help. I am waiting to get this info from Michael, as well.

I was able to reach Michael Arnold the German Pirate at this email:

Michael Arnold <miguelarno@gmail.com

He uses 12 seater vans-10 passengers with room for luggage.

He will pick up at 1 hotel, if requested.

He will tailor-make the tour to my requests.

I will give feedback when I return.

Noticed you will be going after our trip but thanks anyways!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hear any details on this... Especially if a private tour ( 2 people) has been taken with him . THANK YOU!!

I would love to hear any details on this... Especially if a private tour ( 2 people) has been taken with him . THANK YOU!!

I contacted Michael Arnold-the German Pirate to ask about booking tour/transfer for 2 and he offered a suggestion to get a small group together - 10 in a van, all at same hotel in Santiago. So more info can be had by contacting him directly. My roll call has a bit of info on this: Star Princess Feb 14/19.

• 10 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, dog said:

DaBook: "I would love to hear any details on this... Especially if a private tour ( 2 people) has been taken with him . THANK YOU!!"

Unfortunately this tour/transfer did not work out for me. I had originally asked for a private tour/transfer for 2. Michael offered a lower price of $90pp if we had 4-6 people and asked me to post on my roll call. I did, limiting it to no more then 8 in a van. It grew to 33 at one point. My requirement was we not waste time picking up at several hotels. He would not limit the number of people and suggested people could stay at other hotels and uber/taxi over to my hotel. I dropped out of the group. since I was not going to get the tour/transfer I requested.