Using a Power Strip on a Princess Ship

MsSoCalCruiser

Just stumbled on this thread and, as an electrical engineer, immediately wanted to know more because we have taken and used the Belkin model frequently mentioned on many ships with no question or problem. For those who would like a clearer, but somewhat technical explanation of the problem go here:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

So the facts are that there are at least two versions of 120 v electrical systems used on ships. A very commonly used type (delta) can result in problems when used by cheap surge protectors with adequate capabilities for typical US land systems. The other type (Y) of ship system is much like the land systems. The problem cruise lines have is that they may have some ships of either types and really can't expect most of their employees (much less passengers) to know the difference. Neither can they afford to have a technical expert at the dock to check each suppressor. Consequently, the easiest way out is to ban all surge suppressors - if they choose to, that is their right because after all, it is their ship.

All that said, having reviewed the above article and the information on the Belkin BST800BG, I am comfortable that it's design offers safe surge protection for either type of ship electrical system, so will probably continue to use it until a ship tells me I can't.

Consequently, the easiest way out is to ban all surge suppressors - if they choose to, that is their right because after all, it is their ship.

All that said, having reviewed the above article and the information on the Belkin BST800BG, I am comfortable that it's design offers safe surge protection for either type of ship electrical system, so will probably continue to use it until a ship tells me I can't.

Most lines have banned surge protectors (suppressors). You've taken it upon yourself as an EE to simply ignore it.

I can't find it on the Princess site, but I know I've read it.

Here it is on Carnival:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

A chief engineer disagrees with you, too:

The problem is that ship's electrical systems are grounded differently than shore electrical systems, so that the MOV semi-conductors used in surge protectors can experience low voltage reverse power (not detrimental to the electronics plugged in), but which can cause the MOV's to fail and go into "thermal runaway" which is overheating and fire even with low current.

This is a totally different thing than fires caused by high current, which the circuit breaker would indeed control.

Here is a USCG Safety Notice regarding fires on ships caused by surge protectors:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwihm5HIpezOAhXCQiYKHUPtCN0QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw

edit: Sorry, triptolemus, I was typing at the same time as you.

The USCG recommends against it:

But, hey, you're an EE so... you know better!

Most lines have banned surge protectors (suppressors). You've taken it upon yourself as an EE to simply ignore it.

I can't find it on the Princess site, but I know I've read it.

Here it is on Carnival:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

A chief engineer disagrees with you, too:

The USCG recommends against it:

But, hey, you're an EE so... you know better!

As a different EE I can agree with you especially as I have a patent re:MOV's and agree with the seemingly (but not) anal retentive explanation that the Chief Engineer (renowned on these boards) gave. You don't want a reverse current and all that garbage that I would rather not think about on a cruise starting a fire by flaming out the MOVs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by yuccaman

Inexpensive power strips are generally fine. Those with on/off switches are fine. If the packaging or the fine print on the back mentions things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If these are not mentioned, then it won't be.

There is also a lot of mis-direction with regards to multi-USB chargers. Many manufacturers claim their devices are surge protected, when in fact they are "voltage regulated". If the multi-USB charger does not have a 3-pin plug (no ground pin), then it is not surge protected, since a surge protector needs a path to ground, not relying on the "neutral". Hopefully, yuccaman can help me with this, this is based on as much information from the manufacturers as I can get a hold of.

I tend to harp on this subject because I have fought shipboard fires, and have trained crew in fire prevention, and the last thing I want to see is a general fire on a cruise ship, so if I can train the passengers in fire prevention as well, we are all ahead of the game.

Inexpensive power strips are generally fine. Those with on/off switches are fine. If the packaging or the fine print on the back mentions things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If these are not mentioned, then it won't be.

There is also a lot of mis-direction with regards to multi-USB chargers. Many manufacturers claim their devices are surge protected, when in fact they are "voltage regulated". If the multi-USB charger does not have a 3-pin plug (no ground pin), then it is not surge protected, since a surge protector needs a path to ground, not relying on the "neutral". Hopefully, yuccaman can help me with this, this is based on as much information from the manufacturers as I can get a hold of.

I tend to harp on this subject because I have fought shipboard fires, and have trained crew in fire prevention, and the last thing I want to see is a general fire on a cruise ship, so if I can train the passengers in fire prevention as well, we are all ahead of the game.

Thank you. Do you have a picture of one that you would recommend?

Yes, indeed- get a power strip without surge protection. Then it's basically just an extension cord, without any innards that are risky. Ditto that about no "joules of protection", or "clamping voltages" on the label- basically just make sure the label says "power strip", and they're usually the cheaper ones you'll find since they don't have surge circuitry.

When it comes to USB power strips, all/most have surge protection due to the fact that you know with 100% certainty that digital devices will be used there. So maybe just bring a power strip as above with your original USB charger that came w your phone/device.

(Off-topic, but original chargers are preferable, anyway, because many USB strips drive more current in order to taut "quick charge", yet these can overheat your battery and shorten it's life. Same goes for off-brand car chargers. You want 1 Amp to charge an iPhone or iPad Mini, and 2 Amps to drive an iPad, max. For any device, just look at your factory charger and see how many amps (A) it outputs, and that's your preferred max for that device.)

Edited by yuccaman

it never ceases to amaze me how a simple post can go from suggestions to super catty and condescending in 2 seconds.

i went to big lots and found an extension cord, it is meant for Christmas lights so it has a switch, but it is just an extension cord with 3 outlets on the end. perfect for cruising. now is totally the time of year all stores will have similar in stock gearing up for christmas.

if you are like me and don't travel with a laptop anymore but need to charge multiple phones and tablets, i recommend a usb charging hub like this

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port-Charger-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B01IUTIUEA/

(it says samsung but works with any usb charging devise, just bring your own cord)

bring your normal charging cable and plug it into this and charge all of your devices.

(Off-topic, but original chargers are preferable, anyway, because many USB strips drive more current in order to taut "quick charge", yet these can overheat your battery and shorten it's life. Same goes for off-brand car chargers. You want 1 Amp to charge an iPhone or iPad Mini, and 2 Amps to drive an iPad, max. For any device, just look at your factory charger and see how many amps (A) it outputs, and that's your preferred max for that device.)

Actually, a load draws current as opposed to a source driving current. A source will drive voltage, but not amperage. The standard for USB charging circuits is 5 volts DC.

Your 2.1 amp iPad will still draw 2.1 amps even if it is connected to a 12 amp USB charging hub.

Will someone please post some links to Amazon items that are acceptable?

Cruise is coming up in 10 days and Prime will save me....and now I am confused over what will be safe and what isn't safe.

This is what I would like to get- I hate bringing all the "bricks" with me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ79UK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.

I recommend this multi outlet adapter with USB. No surge protection and will handle 220 volts found in other countries. Requires a plug adapter and does not act as a transformer when connecting to 220 outlet. The USB connections do work OK when connected to 220 outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MF40F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61XuS33q0RL._SL1500_.jpg.dffec7eb50467acdc1b1314886865539.jpg

Actually, a load draws current as opposed to a source driving current. A source will drive voltage, but not amperage. The standard for USB charging circuits is 5 volts DC.

Your 2.1 amp iPad will still draw 2.1 amps even if it is connected to a 12 amp USB charging hub.

Yes, word semantics aside, professor, (voltage = pressure, current = current, duh), the point is that in charging mode it can still draw excessive current compared to the max recommended for the most reliable battery charging temp. A device's CIRCUITS will only draw what it will draw, but when it comes to BATTERIES, unless a protection circuit is in place, they will draw whatever you throw at them, and this is why they DO overheat, and worse. And yes, you do protect your device by not charging with a charger that can supply more current than you want the device to handle. Most digital device protection circuits will stop a fire, but not a detrimental "quick" charger. I've only been an electrical engineer for 30+ years, with patents in charging & protection circuits.

(It doesn't take an engineer. Anyone who works around cars also knows that you don't charge your car battery at the 50amp charger setting. :P Yet, so many people are using fast chargers on their digital devices.)

Edited by yuccaman

I recommend this multi outlet adapter with USB. No surge protection and will handle 220 volts found in other countries. Requires a plug adapter and does not act as a transformer when connecting to 220 outlet. The USB connections do work OK when connected to 220 outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MF40F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The USB outputs burned out the second time I used it. :(

I LOVE this, thanks! And note that it does even have separate ports for phones (1 Amp) and tablets (2 Amp)! Cool!