Using a Power Strip on a Princess Ship

MsSoCalCruiser

Seems that most "surge" protected items ultimately plug into the main source with a three-prong plug.

Basically...should I look for something with 2 prongs?

Could I use a device like this - plug it into the ship's outlet with my two-prong original Apple brick? That way no surge protection..but can power up three USB cell phones?

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UMLS/dp/B00BWF5U0M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474829544&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+hub

I am not looking to run a hair dryer or large item...just charge a couple cell phones and maybe a tablet.

Thank you very much.

Seems that most "surge" protected items ultimately plug into the main source with a three-prong plug.

Basically...should I look for something with 2 prongs?

Could I use a device like this - plug it into the ship's outlet with my two-prong original Apple brick? That way no surge protection..but can power up three USB cell phones?

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UMLS/dp/B00BWF5U0M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474829544&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+hub

I am not looking to run a hair dryer or large item...just charge a couple cell phones and maybe a tablet.

Thank you very much.

Again, a power strip, even with a 3-prong plug, may or may not be surge protected, so get one without surge protection.

What you are looking at is a USB data hub, not for charging devices. It is limited to a total of 1/2 amp, while phones and tablets use 1-2 amps each. Your apple wall wart is also limited in current output to what one device needs, so it would not be able to provide power to more than one device anyway.

I even went to guest services to make sure that it would be fine to use. They explained that they just don't want those big heavy utility extension cords period and especially the ones with the surge protectors. The small plug in strips like Belkin are just fine to use. I cruise frequently on Princess, Celebrity, and occasionally on Royal Caribbean and have had no problems at all using this. In fact, my DH carries a couple of these in his back pack, along with lap top and cell phone and batteries upon boarding the ship-- absolutely no problem at all.

I think a few above posters may be misinterpreting what Princess is saying? and no, I too am not ignorant!

I even went to guest services to make sure that it would be fine to use. They explained that they just don't want those big heavy utility extension cords period and especially the ones with the surge protectors. The small plug in strips like Belkin are just fine to use. I cruise frequently on Princess, Celebrity, and occasionally on Royal Caribbean and have had no problems at all using this. In fact, my DH carries a couple of these in his back pack, along with lap top and cell phone and batteries upon boarding the ship-- absolutely no problem at all.

I think a few above posters may be misinterpreting what Princess is saying? and no, I too am not ignorant!

I agree with you ! Although the Carnival web site specifically prohibits extension cords with surge protection, no such item is found in The Princess prohibited list. So as I said earlier , I will plan to use my Belkin unless specifically prohibited.

P.S. - The USCG document quoted several times earlier is strictly advisory and specifically says it is not mandatory.

Edited by fnewman

Amazon doesn't say it, but the Poweradd web site says that their outlet strips have surge protection.

Amazon says it:

Advanced Built-in Protection:safeguards your home computers, laser printers, broadband modems and home-theater systems.

That strip has an MOV surge protection device in it.

I agree with you ! Although the Carnival web site specifically prohibits extension cords with surge protection, no such item is found in The Princess prohibited list. So as I said earlier , I will plan to use my Belkin unless specifically prohibited.

P.S. - The USCG document quoted several times earlier is strictly advisory and specifically says it is not mandatory.

Here is the link where Princess says not to bring them on board: https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Scroll down to the top of page 3.

Here is the link where Princess says not to bring them on board: https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Scroll down to the top of page 3.

"The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms."

Now that leaves some room for interpretation. :confused:

Again, I would not trust a guest service agent, even on the ship, to know what the answer to a technical question is. The key to me understanding that this agent doesn't know what they are talking about is the fact that the "big heavy utility extension cords" are far safer than the small "lampcord" type extension cords. Either one will pass whatever current the appliances plugged into it will demand, but the heavier cord will not heat up and possibly melt the insulation. Thinking that a heavier extension cord somehow "allows" more current to flow just shows they don't understand basic electricity. The second thing is that the person doesn't understand that a surge protector acts the exact same way whether it is in the "box" at the end of a power strip or in the small housing in the Belkin unit. They are both equally prone to failure and fire. Neither would I expect security to know what to look for, and the main reason the Belkin units pass security so often is that they don't appear to be power strips (and they are power strips, just without the cord).

Surge protectors on ships are like heart disease, it is a "silent killer". You can bring a Belkin unit on many cruises and it will operate perfectly fine, until on one ship, on one day, at one instant, either the MOV's in the surge protector have reached their failure point from repeated use onboard, or there is a ground in the ship's wiring that sends a reverse voltage through the ground and reverse voltages the surge protector and it goes up in smoke. There is no guarantee or early warning when a surge protector will fail.

Edited by chengkp75

Have you found any on Amazon that you could suggest to us? We will probably be charging two phones and an iPad at the same time, if possible.

To get multiple power outlets, go to Walmart or Home Depot, and get the $6 power strip (read the label for any mention of surge protection, as they will sell slightly more expensive ones with surge protection. You can then use the original chargers for your devices in these power outlets. You will note that all of the "original equipment" wall warts that phones and tablets provide to charge themselves are only two prong plugs.

To get multiple USB ports, you can get any multi-USB hub that has a two prong plug and know it isn't surge protected. The main problem comes when a manufacturer combines power outlets and USB ports in one unit. Since the power outlet must be 3 prong, so will the plug on the unit, so they will almost automatically provide surge protection.

Again, I would not trust a guest service agent, even on the ship, to know what the answer to a technical question is. The key to me understanding that this agent doesn't know what they are talking about is the fact that the "big heavy utility extension cords" are far safer than the small "lampcord" type extension cords. Either one will pass whatever current the appliances plugged into it will demand, but the heavier cord will not heat up and possibly melt the insulation. Thinking that a heavier extension cord somehow "allows" more current to flow just shows they don't understand basic electricity. The second thing is that the person doesn't understand that a surge protector acts the exact same way whether it is in the "box" at the end of a power strip or in the small housing in the Belkin unit. They are both equally prone to failure and fire. Neither would I expect security to know what to look for, and the main reason the Belkin units pass security so often is that they don't appear to be power strips (and they are power strips, just without the cord).

Surge protectors on ships are like heart disease, it is a "silent killer". You can bring a Belkin unit on many cruises and it will operate perfectly fine, until on one ship, on one day, at one instant, either the MOV's in the surge protector have reached their failure point from repeated use onboard, or there is a ground in the ship's wiring that sends a reverse voltage through the ground and reverse voltages the surge protector and it goes up in smoke. There is no guarantee or early warning when a surge protector will fail.

Perhaps they should have given a little more thought to the intent of the safety notice since it allows for the use of items like the Belkin unit which doesn't utilize a cord.

Perhaps they should have given a little more thought to the intent of the safety notice since it allows for the use of items like the Belkin unit which doesn't utilize a cord.

Whose "safety notice"? Princess'? Theirs is not a safety notice, it is simply a list of prohibited items. Could Princess have worded their list better, sure, but you are having non-technical people (mostly IT web designers) deal with a technical problem. If the web list of prohibited items was brought to the attention of the class society that underwrites the ships, the wording would be changed. The USCG? Their safety notice talks about surge protectors in general, not surge protectors "on extension cords".

As to the poster who noted, and I believe has noted on several previous discussions on surge protectors, that the USCG safety notice is "advisory only", I will say two things. First, the USCG cannot make anything like this mandatory on foreign flag ships, since the IMO and SOLAS do not specifically address this issue. The USCG cannot enforce their requirements or regulations on foreign ships, they can only ensure that ships meet the international requirements of SOLAS. Secondly, since the safety notice was based on only two instances that the USCG investigated (and they can only investigate instances on US flag ships), the advisory is based on industry best practices, as set forth by their National Centers of Experience, as the first step in notification. Should there be more instances, they may make it mandatory, but regulating portable equipment like a power strip is almost impossible. Secondly, there is no record of how many surge protectors have caused fires similar to the two the USCG investigated on foreign flag ships (whether cruise or cargo), since there is no international central clearing house for this data.

"The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms."

Now that leaves some room for interpretation. :confused:

Yes it does. The statement is poorly worded. As has been pointed out before, it is the surge protection that is the problem, not that it is fitted into an extension cord. Trying to get around a safety requirement by parsing words and playing with semantics still leaves passengers at risk, don't do it.

Just consider those little Belkin blocks as having VERY SHORT cords.

Yes it does. The statement is poorly worded. As has been pointed out before, it is the surge protection that is the problem, not that it is fitted into an extension cord. Trying to get around a safety requirement by parsing words and playing with semantics still leaves passengers at risk, don't do it.

Just consider those little Belkin blocks as having VERY SHORT cords.

I hear you BUT just how many people do you think actually read the printed statement to begin with? Maybe a few dozen on this board and of them maybe they'll be 10 on any particular trip. A very small percentage for sure.

The people doing the checking don't say a word even when looking at them.

So..... either have them check closer & confiscate them or forget about any half hearted warnings.

I and others have contributed lots of input re:safety on this thread.

It's as simple as this. Don't use any kind of cord, brick, or other power thingy (to use the technical term) that has surge protection.

Surge protectors have internal MOV devices that can quickly and unexpectedly fry dangerously and without warning, given the fact that ships have different electrical distribution and grounding systems than you do on land, which can override the intent of the protection and cause reverse current fires within the device (something which wouldn't happen at home.)

A statistical chance? Yes. But it was only a statistical chance on something else that sent Triumph floating in the gulf without power for too many days, not to mention statistical chances causing the Star Princess and other fires.

To say that well, this guy on the ship said this, or that one said that, is only your own comfort factor to fool yourself. The cruise line PDFs say no surge protection, and the reason why is within this thread.

In doubt of what to bring? Read above posts in this thread which describe what to look for when shopping. Simple answer? A power strip or brick or other power thingy (to use the technical term) without surge protection. Lots of detail in the above posts.

I'm not preaching. I'm trying to help answer the question originally asked, but this thread has been through 5000 loops and twists, and even a few trolls. Hope this helps anyone who is confused or just joining this thread.

Well I think I'm even more confused after reading this thread!! Can someone tell me what a "brick" is please!!

Coming from Europe I will be wanting to charge an iPhone and my charger just has two pins. Will that go into the outlet in the cabin or will I need an adaptor, and does it matter what the voltage is. I will be on the CB going round the Caribbean.

brick is the big part of most charging plugs.

the 2 pins will not work, you will need to get a travel accessory, either a plug converter or a transformer. it all depends on that brick and what it is set up to do.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/world-electricity-guide.html

for instance, the "brick" part of my laptop cord can handle both types of power, i just need to change the cord formthe brick to the wall so i have the right prongs on the end, or use a plug converter. i don't need anything else special.

my curling iron on the other hand can only handle us voltage, so i need a transformer with plug converter to use when i go to the UK.

Edited by vampiress

This is absolutely incorrect. Having an on/off switch in no way indicates the bar has a surge protector. You must read the product packaging. Believe me, if the manufacturer has installed a surge protector, it will be clearly featured.

Whups! I confused surge protecting with circuit breaking. Thank you for the clarification.

Amazon doesn't say it, but the Poweradd web site says that their outlet strips have surge protection.

This one does NOT have surge protection, we did verify that. There is an identical model that does have surge protection but this is not that model.

https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-3-Outlet-Extension-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B018S7YKSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474839855&sr=8-1&keywords=extension+cord+with+usb

Edited by wocheez