St Petersburg Tour Decisions?

We're going to St. Petersburg but will only be in port for one day and have small children (4 & 7).

Our first instinct was to do a half day tour booked through the cruise line simply because it was the easiest thing to book. However, we're worried about the need to manage a group tour with our small children -- we'll do our own thing in all other ports. So, I started looking at private tours. However, it seems that all the private tours are set up to be long days or multiple days. Is it possible to book something private for our family for just half a day? Or, should I just go back to our first instinct and book through the cruise line? (The pricing I'm getting suggests that we will pay nearly 5 times as much to do a private tour which is the opposite of what I was reading before I started looking.)

If you're doing a custom tour on your own, then you will pay quite a bit more. Most of the other 'private tours' are selected from standard packages and with small groups built up from roll calls - so not really 'private' but much smaller and intimate than a ships tour.

It's always a bit more tricky with small kids unfortunately. You could see if anyone else is in a similar situation on your roll call and see if they'd share a bespoke half day tour with you. There were several families on board when I did this and I imagine they all had the same challenge.

Thanks for the response.

There wasn't any roll call yet for our cruise. So, I started one, but I suspect that's not likely to work out quickly for me.

Perhaps we'll just book the best of the ships tours. I started looking at custom tours after having several people tell me that they did it partially because it ended up being cheaper than the cruise line offerings.

If anyone else has any other ideas (i.e. knows a company that specializes in tours for families with small children), please let me know.

We're going to St. Petersburg but will only be in port for one day and have small children (4 & 7).

Our first instinct was to do a half day tour booked through the cruise line simply because it was the easiest thing to book. However, we're worried about the need to manage a group tour with our small children -- we'll do our own thing in all other ports. So, I started looking at private tours. However, it seems that all the private tours are set up to be long days or multiple days. Is it possible to book something private for our family for just half a day? Or, should I just go back to our first instinct and book through the cruise line? (The pricing I'm getting suggests that we will pay nearly 5 times as much to do a private tour which is the opposite of what I was reading before I started looking.)

Check out Best Guides. They're the only tour operator I found who will do a custom tour with small children in mind.

When are you sailing and what ship? If one of the major cruise lines, and it is a short time out, I'm surprised you couldn't find a roll call ... but stranger things have happened.

Maybe you'll be lucky and get a quick response.

We travelled with a 3 year old and chose a private tour for just our family. It was more expensive but we were able to see everything over 2 days. Contact all the major spb tour companies to price out a private tour for just your family (alla, best guides, spb, denrus). My 3 year old had such a wonderful time he wants to go back so his little brother can visit St. Petersburg and Stockholm. (I was pregnant with the little one on this trip). There’s a ton for kids to do on the baltics, and my signature line review has a lot of info on what you can do with kids.

Your best option is a private tour for your family to control the itinerary. If you can’t afford that, best guides has a family tour. A ship tour should be your last option, since it involves waiting on lots of lines - they stagger entrance of ship tours to prevent overcrowding. A private tour for just your family can skip through these lines (I’m not sure if a 16 person tour can skip lines too).

All of the other cities were easy to diy. Have a great trip.

When are you sailing and what ship? If one of the major cruise lines, and it is a short time out, I'm surprised you couldn't find a roll call ... but stranger things have happened.

Maybe you'll be lucky and get a quick response.

MSC, end of July.

someone on our trip used TJ tours for a small group because her parents' health is an issue. They had a great time

We did a private tour (just the two of us with a guide and driver) with TJ Travel...absolutely amazing !!!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the Best Guides referrals. They really do seem like they have a good offer for children.

Do I need to worry about them being under SPB with the recent fraud report?

completely separate company and it turns out that SPB fraud report may be false news!

• 2 weeks later...
Email them and tell them you want to go here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298507-d3396387-r238447163-Grand_Maket_Russia_Interactive_Museum-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

They will know of the place. Word looks like market but it is a model train of Russia and not a market.

We had actually decided that this didn't look like it would be good for our kids. Do they get to play with it or is it only a viewing exhibit?

Very interested in taking my kid to the Grand Maket that has been discussed here. I've yet to see any tour groups that include it though. Anyone know of any? Or would we have to do a private tour?

• 2 weeks later...