Luggage interfered with?

Fox trotter

We have two large suitcases which have a main zipped compartment and an outside zipped compartment. When we disembarked QE a few days ago, the main compartments were securely locked.

We used the outside compartments just to store a lightweight raincoat in case of rain. These were zipped closed but not locked.

On collecting our luggage at Southampton, we noticed that both of these unlocked compartments had been unzipped. It tends to suggest that sometime between being collected from our cabin and us collecting them the following morning, someone had unzipped them presumably to see if there was anything of value.

Not really a problem as nothing was stolen, but I'm wondering if I should flag this back to Cunard?

We have two large suitcases which have a main zipped compartment and an outside zipped compartment. When we disembarked QE a few days ago, the main compartments were securely locked.

We used the outside compartments just to store a lightweight raincoat in case of rain. These were zipped closed but not locked.

On collecting our luggage at Southampton, we noticed that both of these unlocked compartments had been unzipped. It tends to suggest that sometime between being collected from our cabin and us collecting them the following morning, someone had unzipped them presumably to see if there was anything of value.

Not really a problem as nothing was stolen, but I'm wondering if I should flag this back to Cunard?

Yes definitely.

I agree it should be reported. Perhaps the natural thought would be a crew member but really anyone walking by in the hallway (guest) would have equal access .

The crew probably undergo background checks, guests don't .

As you said the Unlocked compartments were unzipped.

I would think that possibly the way in which luggage is treated, by being thrown about etc, quite possible that motion could have unzipped them.

A few years ago, on QV, my wife put out our main cases around 11:00pm.

I returned just before midnight to find that out credit card size Fairmont "President's Club" tags had been stolen from both cases.

The plastic tags have our name and a serial number. The idea is that should our cases get lost anywhere, then we can be contacted through Fairmont.

Our room, 8165, was right at the stern so there's not much passing footfall, if any.

As I had no idea the purpose of the theft, I demanded that the ship's security contact Fairmont and confirm to me that the cards had been cancelled, which they did.

The thief even left on the floor, the wire ties that screw together to hold the tags.

I'm afraid it proves there are thieves all around, even on Cunard ships.

Stewart

Another "Theft" area is the "Twilight" check-in at Gatwick Airport. Happend three times where cases were opened (combination locks punched in) contents rummaged, then closed (case unlocked and thereby not insured).

Nothing of value was left inside.

Official response was "no record of any incident".

It appears an incident has to be officially recorded to be recognised. Basically, the perputator has to officially report and register their illegal actions for it to be recorded as an incident.

Never used Twilight or Gatwick since.